flat bed truck/gooseneck question

szewczyk_john

I am looking at a used Dodge 3500 dually with a flat bed or gooseneck bed on it. How easy is it to modify this truckbed to apply rails for my trailer saver BD3 hitch? I do not want to use a gooseneck adapter as I know there are concerns about frame flex and I also do not want to give up the cushioning that my hitch has. I like the ride that the airbag equipped hitch offers. I have no experience with these types of beds and looking for any info that you can provide.

Attachments

• 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    396.2 KB · Views: 45

whp4262

Your best bet might be to take the truck to a good hitch installer and let them take a look at it. Think it depends on what the existing structure looks like under the truck and if you want to keep the gooseneck ball or not. When I installed the 5th wheel hitch and underbed rails in my truck I had to cut out all of the existing gooseneck ball mount structure.

SilverRhino

My hauler bed has a 1/2" plate that is about 4 foot square built into the underside of the bed.....rails where just bolted through the bed plate and the re-inforcing plate. I would agree that taking it to a good welding shop or hitch installer to have it looked at for solutions would be the best bet.

Attachments

• t41.jpg
    t41.jpg
    428 KB · Views: 23