Flipping to Genie with DirecTV

porthole

Retired
The cable running from his closet to TV is coax, not HDMI.

That's a little vague.
What cable? Cable as in Coax? Coax for SAT and cable/antenna?

However it is wired, sometimes it is best to just start from scratch, eliminate any poor wiring techniques, connectors, cheap cable, excessive runs etc.
If you buy your own cable, solid copper core RG-6 is the best choice, quad shield or Belden's tri-shield (best rated)

Some things are a given.

With rooftop you need those control wires from the antenna motor.
You need coax from the antenna to the receiver, wherever that is located.
Somewhere inline with that should be a splitter that has a coax running from the splitter to a "power inserter", which supplies 21 Volts to the antenna's LNB

If you want portable antenna flexibility, you need a way to "jump" the coax for a portable input.

Many of the trailers have the control wires, antenna coax and jumper in the bedroom closet. That may or may not be convenient.
There are many trailers that had the promise of being SAT ready but in reality, some of the cabling was never installed from the factory, or, it was placed in areas different then specified.

The Wireless Genie client should simplify installation.
If not wireless, each Genie client needs a coax run from the power inserter splitter.

simsfmly

Ohio Chapter Leaders-retired
Had the installer come by today. Been with DirecTV since 1997. This wasn't a week that went well.

Tech was super nice guy. Said he was here to install the Genie and 1 wired mini. No, it's supposed to be Genie and two wireless minis. That's going to be $99 more to install the wired bridge. Wasn't happy. Long phone call to DirecTV confirmed that the girl on Wednesday that took the order "neglected" to tell me that wired are standard installation, wireless are $99 extra.

According to the tech, the wireless minis are great for homes that are full of drywall, aluminum, etc. "These RV's have a lot of steel which isn't real conducive to the wireless technology." Duly noted.

As I expected, tech had "never seen a tripod setup" for our dish. Was even taking pictures to send back to his boss in case he got X's during setup. Most campgrounds in Ohio are seasonal places. He said the campground tells him what and how he can mount dishes. Most are a pole in cement, but a couple tell him to put the post in a 5 gallon bucket of cement, then bury the bucket so they can rip it up if the customer leaves that site.

I will say, if you have DirecTV and DON'T have the service agreement you are making a huge mistake. Over the 5 years we've been full timing, it has more than paid for itself with the stuff the Tech's just pull off the truck. Today, we upgraded to a new dish, mast and LNB. Got a bonus HMDI cord and a 30 pin cord to RCA for the back of the mini client outside so we can connect to our projection unit we sometimes use for big games. Gratis.

So I can't really report on the wireless other than the recommendation that the tech gave me and the fact you should know it will be a $99 service charge for the wireless bridge.

Do like having Picture in Picture back with the Genie. Like the fact that all of the preferences from the genie go directly to the clients so I don't have to put those in. Each of the clients basically act as a DVR, so I can pause and run back sports. New genie remotes will take some getting used to, but that's a small issue.

Other than that, just another upgrade.

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
You had less trouble than I did with my first installer. Lol. Second did exactly like I asked. Lol. Yes I knew the wireless was $99 more and waffled on it. If I had not already put in a drop in my basement I would have gone wireless. I forgot about the pip and have not done much with it. Oh well. We too have the service agreement and I have kept it mostly for the perk of being able to upgrade equipment free every two years with no questions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk