For All Of You Who Have "Large" Rigs

danemayer

I took the test here in Texas, there was a written portion and a driving test which was numerous left and right turns, pulling up to curbs, straight backing and parallel parking with a stern warning if you hit a curb its an automatic fail.

During the parallel parking component of the test, hitting the curb ends the test with failure. Being too far away from the curb is a 2 point deduction. My examiner asked why I didn't park closer to the curb. :D

meagle

In California, if your fifth wheel is between 10,000 and 15,000 pounds you only have to pass the class A written test. Your class C license will have a restriction 41 on it that states: May tow fifth wheel recreational trailer between 10,001/15,000lbs GVWR. My Big Horn fully loaded is well under 15,000lbs. So I did not have to take the driving test.
Just know that the state goes by the GVWR and not the actual weight. If your vehicle is rated to weigh above the 15000 pounds loaded, again not actual weight but the GVWR, then you are required to have a non commercial class A license.

dykesj11

I know - I was being the "straight" man. Btw, I heard a version "... but the magic it stirs."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

dykesj11

Just know that the state goes by the GVWR and not the actual weight. If your vehicle is rated to weigh above the 15000 pounds loaded, again not actual weight but the GVWR, then you are required to have a non commercial class A license.

To add further, in the BH 2017 catalog, all Bighorns are GVWR 16,000.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

dykesj11

What I learned in Texas. I got regular Class C licensed at DPS Livingston, Tx. DPS says I need the Class A exempt CDL, "Any combination of vehicles with a GCWR OF 26,001 or more, provided the GVWR of the vehicle or vehicles being towed exceeds 10,000 lbs." Because I have a GMC 3500HD DRW with GCWR 30,500 and a Bighorn 3575EL with GVWR 16,000 lbs, I fit the rqmt. I took the written test today and do the driving tomorrow. They could not have been any nicer and said the driving test is really simple. The upgrade to Class A costs $11. The DPS person said lots of people don't know or ignore the rqmt. Then it's a problem if they get stopped or worse, have an accident. Take it for what it's worth.

So here's the follow on. I took the driving test today. It involved backing in straight line maybe 40 feet or so, then pulling on to the street, couple lane changes, on to the highway, off the highway, through some side streets with several turns to both directions and back to the DPS office. Parallel parking is no longer required according to the examiner. I inferred the big no-no is hitting the curb on right hand turns. She checks to make sure you are checking. All in all, the test could not have been a whole lot easier. Unlike CA, you don't have to go to the commercial driver testing facility. The folks were very cordial and accommodating. Note that this office is in Livingston, Texas where Escapees Headquarters is. Both the Tax Assessor (vehicle registration) and the DPS (DL) knew all about Escapees, RVs, etc. I can tell you from personal experience, this is WAY EASIER than CA was.

FYI, my total CA annual registration for truck and fiver were about $1700. And while it decreases, it doesn't do so quickly. And Mr. Brown is going to up these costs too. In TX for both, I paid $443 and $180 of that was for first time registration in TX. Insurance is higher here, about twice as expensive as CA was.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
What I learned in Texas. I got regular Class C licensed at DPS Livingston, Tx. DPS says I need the Class A exempt CDL, "Any combination of vehicles with a GCWR OF 26,001 or more, provided the GVWR of the vehicle or vehicles being towed exceeds 10,000 lbs." Because I have a GMC 3500HD DRW with GCWR 30,500 and a Bighorn 3575EL with GVWR 16,000 lbs, I fit the rqmt. I took the written test today and do the driving tomorrow. They could not have been any nicer and said the driving test is really simple. The upgrade to Class A costs $11. The DPS person said lots of people don't know or ignore the rqmt. Then it's a problem if they get stopped or worse, have an accident. Take it for what it's worth.

So here's the follow on. I took the driving test today. It involved backing in straight line maybe 40 feet or so, then pulling on to the street, couple lane changes, on to the highway, off the highway, through some side streets with several turns to both directions and back to the DPS office. Parallel parking is no longer required according to the examiner. I inferred the big no-no is hitting the curb on right hand turns. She checks to make sure you are checking. All in all, the test could not have been a whole lot easier. Unlike CA, you don't have to go to the commercial driver testing facility. The folks were very cordial and accommodating. Note that this office is in Livingston, Texas where Escapees Headquarters is. Both the Tax Assessor (vehicle registration) and the DPS (DL) knew all about Escapees, RVs, etc. I can tell you from personal experience, this is WAY EASIER than CA was.

FYI, my total CA annual registration for truck and fiver were about $1700. And while it decreases, it doesn't do so quickly. And Mr. Brown is going to up these costs too. In TX for both, I paid $443 and $180 of that was for first time registration in TX. Insurance is higher here, about twice as expensive as CA was.

Thanks for the info!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk