For those that don't know about shackles...

NHCelt

These has about 8000 miles on them. Notice the elongation caused by a lack of grease and too little steel. I suspect that I would have had a failure on my next trip... which will be about 8000 miles. If you tow any distances, an upgrade is a good idea.
579610220ef409995df413c881eb9e73.jpg

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

Gary521

Mine were the same way on a 2017 Bighorn. Not only is it a good idea to upgrade to the heavy duty shackles, it is almost a must.

Kbvols

Mine were the same way on a 2017 Bighorn. Not only is it a good idea to upgrade to the heavy duty shackles, it is almost a must.

No disagreement but it is pathetic the OEM's are not sufficient enough in the first place.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
9306c3a2d532aff9d2750f1700246a4c.jpg

One of ours (Lippert) after the other side failed, June 2014 on our 2010 ElkRidge.

We just upgraded on our 2016 Big Country to the MorRyde HD shackles and wet bolts, MorRyde did the install and I forgot to ask about seeing the old ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rhodies1

Agree,the OEM shackles are too light and wear fast.Just upgraded my Bighorn to the Dexter wet bolt kit,cannot believe the difference in quality over the OEM.

Ks.Kev

Just wondering...... are these shackles that get oblong happening on the heavier 5th wheels only?
What I've seen so far it's always been the fivers! has any travel trailer had this problem?
I have a North Trail 22FBS and looked over the shackles and don't see this happening.

Gary521

Just wondering...... are these shackles that get oblong happening on the heavier 5th wheels only?
What I've seen so far it's always been the fivers! has any travel trailer had this problem?
I have a North Trail 22FBS and looked over the shackles and don't see this happening.

No, you won't see this happening. You need to take them apart to see this. Don't know if this is a weight thing or not - it just happens.

alexb2000

This is just another stupid RV industry decision. I can't believe Dexter even offers a "standard" shackle kit that is this weak. The cost delta from the factory MIGHT be $20. Given the cost of a 5er, this is just insanely stupid and goes further toward making people hate their RV after it fails on some stretch of desolate highway.

danemayer

We probably got about 20,000 miles on our original shackle links. But the average trailer probably never sees 20,000 miles. Most RVers aren't full timers traveling all over the country. But on this forum, we do have quite a few people who travel more than average. That's why we frequently see discussions about moving to heavy duty shackle links, better bushings, and wet bolts.

If you put on a lot of miles, you definitely want to pay attention to your suspension.

Rollin_Free

"MorRyde HD shackles and wet bolts or the Dexter wet bolt kit"

I'm getting ready to install the correct alignment kit and have been wondering about the shackle selections. I've seen these two available but without specific knowledge of either of them I'm not sure which one would be a better choice for my rig. I'm curious what made you decide to select the ones you purchased?

Bones

We probably got about 20,000 miles on our original shackle links. But the average trailer probably never sees 20,000 miles. Most RVers aren't full timers traveling all over the country. But on this forum, we do have quite a few people who travel more than average. That's why we frequently see discussions about moving to heavy duty shackle links, better bushings, and wet bolts.

If you put on a lot of miles, you definitely want to pay attention to your suspension.

Dan, I think you are right. RV's seem to be built for occasional use and not see the miles a lot of members are putting on them. That is why the factories should step up their game plan by having better options if people so choose to have upgraded components put on when they order the units.

This is why I chose MorRyde
ny90np.jpg

Jamie exactly the same reason I ordered the morryde kit as well. Even the never fail kit is not as thick.

dlw930

I put on the MorRyde wet bolts and HD shackles this spring in prep for our Alaska trip. After seeing all the bad pics of the OEM shackles on the forum, I was surprised after well over 20k miles that only one OEM shackle showed significant signs of wear, and even that, not a case for imminent failure. Makes me wonder if there's not more variables in the equation than just miles traveled.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
I too swapped mine out for the Morryde only because I was stripping everything to convert to disc brake upgrade. 11K looked good. Morryde definitely beefier no doubt.
Had 30K miles on the 3010, if those shackles had any wear it was minimal and hidden behind the bolt heads and nuts. There was no audio indications when driving slowly through a CG with the window down (unlike my utility trailer)!!!!

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I wonder if tight turns when backing up can cause this.

I have to do an almost 90 degree turn when backing into our side yard.

ProwlerHomeFromAlto2017-P5080769.jpg