Ford 6.7 Proper Oil

TeJay

Most any time technology changes and new and better products come out many, many individuals refuse to accept the new products or different ways of doing things. Back in the early to mid 70's Mobil came out with Mobil 1 full synthetic oil. At that time they boasted and advertized their 25,000 mile oil change. I read all I could find regarding the oil and could find nothing bad about it. The problem they ran into was as I earlier stated, some folks just won't leave the old ways behind. No MAN in his right mind would leave oil in his engine for 25-K miles. Well the truth is it does work and it will last that long and even longer. It's been proven over and over and over. Still there are many that won't believe or accept what testing has proven. That's OK. Everybody has a right to their opinion. I rely on what I read regarding new technology and then apply some common sense as well. Back in the mid 90's I went into a parts house and looked for some 5W-30 oil and they had none but their shelves were filled with 10W-40. I asked the guy why they had no 5W-30 oil and his response was, "Nobody asks for it." I informed him that the industry stopped recommending 10W-40 oil in the mid 80's.

Mobil 1 oil is synthetic but it is made from oil regular base stock. Fully synthetic does not mean not made from real oil. I run 10-K between changes. I will always take advantage of new technology. If it will reduce the friction and allow some mechanical device last a lot longer why not????

"TRADITION" Why is there a lowered or no bar on a girls bicycle????? Because when girls rode bike in the 1890's they all wore long skirts. Why do we still do that 130 years later????? "TRADITION"

JMTCW TeJay

dave10a

I experienced the same problem with dealers. I also have the Ford Service/extended warranty contract and expected the dealer to perform maintenence in accordance with Ford's recomendations. The dealers nation wide that I have went to do not follow Ford's recomendations and I am not sure they even use the diesel grade 10/30 instead of gas engine 10/30 . They sevice the trucks like an automobile. Possibly because the person serviceing the truck is not specificatlly trained for diesel trucks and is a gas auto service tech and not a mechanic. I force them to use 15/40 Ford diesel oil which is fine and is meets all modern diesel requirements and specs. The 5/40 synthetic is over kill and does not do any better for the environments I travel in (5/40 is fine in extreme elements like Alaska and desert). Every time I have a Ford dealer service the truck it is a long discussion to get them to do the job and follow the Ford service regimine. They changed the fuel filter at 22000 miles and boched the job because the service tech did not follow the procedure in the manual and cracked the filter houseing causing me a loss of 2days to get a new housing. The moral of my story don't get their service contract and do the work yourself. It will be the only way that you can be assured the service was done properly.

porthole

Retired
For those of you using your dealer for service; I would suggest you request and visually verify, the oil going in your truck. The way to do that would be to see the jugs the tech is using.

Many dealers use bulk oil, and the same oil goes in cars or trucks - and that may not be the oil you want in your 7-9K option diesel.

Zoomzoommo

Or supply them with the oil yourself. I stock up on Mobil 1 for my car when it goes on sale, and just have the dealer supply labor and filter.

lwmcguir

Interesting that Mobil's own web site doesn't have an oil that they recommend for ultimate protection. They rate Mobil 1 synthetic for Diesels as Superior.

Peteandsharon

I guess you can never be surprised by what the dealers do and do not know. I ran into a "diesel tech" a few years back who was totally unaware that Ford did not recommend the 15W40 for winters in the north. After I told him he looked it up and came back and told me that he "learns something new every day". Last service at that dealer. But let me open up this post in a slightly different direction. I was a little surprised that MTPockets was talking about taking his truck out on a long trip so early in the game. Maybe it's old school thinking but it has always been my belief that a truck should have 3000-5000 miles under its belt before you subject it to the stresses of heavy pulling. Is this being overly protective for today's trucks?

Rickhansen

My '11 GMC manual says 500 miles before towing for break-in. I was told by a GM tech that the most vulnerable component in this time frame is the rear end ring gear, as it gets its final tempering by "normal" driving in that time period.

I have also heard to wait 5,000 - 10,000 miles before expecting fuel mileage to come up to par, and the same period to wait before changing over to full-synthetic lubricants. My mileage did improve during that time. I think that higher manufacturing tolerances have shortened break-in periods from years ago.

Wouldn't it be good to really know?

porthole

Retired
I was a little surprised that MTPockets was talking about taking his truck out on a long trip so early in the game. Maybe it's old school thinking but it has always been my belief that a truck should have 3000-5000 miles under its belt before you subject it to the stresses of heavy pulling. Is this being overly protective for today's trucks?

Maybe so, but I wouldn't be concerned after having 1000 miles. These trucks are not your Uncle's pick ups of days past.

My '11 GMC manual says 500 miles before towing for break-in. I was told by a GM tech that the most vulnerable component in this time frame is the rear end ring gear, as it gets its final tempering by "normal" driving in that time period.

That is a new one for me, at least that terminology.
But, when that was my career, our warranty standard (Chrysler/Dodge) was we could do any adjustment or repairs that did not specifically require a ring and pinon up to 1500 miles. Once the vehicle passed 1500 miles any repairs required a R&P replacement.

This was because of noise issues though, not any "tempering"

I have also heard to wait 5,000 - 10,000 miles before expecting fuel mileage to come up to par, and the same period to wait before changing over to full-synthetic lubricants. My mileage did improve during that time. I think that higher manufacturing tolerances have shortened break-in periods from years ago.

Mileage gains with break in will not be anything like they were in past vehicles. The modern automotive engine is very well monitored and compensated/adjusted for in the engine management software. Once the computers learn your driving habits (transmission controls) mileage gains are liable to be negligible.

jbeletti

...Mileage gains with break in will not be anything like they were in past vehicles. The modern automotive engine is very well monitored and compensated/adjusted for in the engine management software. Once the computers learn your driving habits (transmission controls) mileage gains are liable to be negligible.

I hear that! I've got 25k+ miles on the 6.7 in a '12 F450 and have seen NO change in fuel economy since day 1. My truck is heavy with a hauler bed, tool boxes, tools, 60 extra gallons of diesel, heavier than normal hitch, 4 compressors and 2 tanks. I get 9 to 9.5 MPG towing. Up to 12 when bob-tailing, though we don't bob-tail enough miles to have a good baseline set.

dave10a

5-40 is over kill for severe duty while 15-40 will properly do the job and is also recommended by Ford for severe duty. The problem with diesel oil is contamination from soot both 15-40 and 5-40 soot up the same. If you live in extremes like Alaska synthetic is more durable because it offers better lubricant characteristics at high and low temperature extremes. Those extremes are not experienced by most people pulling a 5th wheel. Filters are also import so use and replace what Ford recommends. Then is one really certain what the Ford dealer is using. I have found they have plenty of 10/30 and 15/30 diesel engine oil on hand but not 5-40. Some Ford dealers use synthetic blend which is good.

dave10a

My fuel mileage is 12.5/mpg pulling 62mph with cruise control from California to Connecticut to Florida. It has not changed from new to present 25K miles. My motor home with a Cat engine did improve after 20K by about .5mpg. Caterpillar claimed the improvement was because the injectors were seating which expected. Cat uses their own injector while Ford uses the German stuff, Bosch. I am not sure who makes a better injector, but the Ford seems ok so far. Ford also claims, based on their OEM, that the fuel pump and injectors should get 250k miles service life. Caterpillar claims 500k to 1meg based on the engine.

mmomega

AnyTimer
I change mine with Mobil1 Full Synthetic 5w-40 and use Motorcraft filters in both trucks. The 2007 and 2011.