Ford 6.7 Proper Oil

MTPockets

Just came back from my dealer where I got my oil changed out to the 5w-40 synthetic as we are leaving on Thursday for the next 6 - 7 months travelling west. (Don't normally go to the dealer for this, but first oil change was free) The service writer asked why I was changing the oil since my truck is still just under its' first 1000 miles and only a tad over two weeks old. Well, the diesel engine manual clearly says to use 5w-40 under the severe duty service class that includes towing any distance, long idle periods, lots of slow driving. I was amazed when the service writer, who said he had been there for several years, said I was the first customer who had ever asked for 5w-40 synthetic... He had to check stock first - they did have four gallons on hand. They sell a lot of trucks and are a good sized dealer and I am really surprised that people don't know what oil to use under these conditions, as well as surprised the service writer didn't know it. Do you?

lwmcguir

Our local Ford uses 5-40 synthetic as the standard. It runs $150 per oil change. Some of the other area dealers use Quaker and 5-40 syn as the alternate to save a few bucks. I use the synthetic as well.

jnbhobe

I'm still useing Rotella 15-40 maybe one of these days I'll try synthetic. How many miles is everyone going between changes?

I've been using Mobil 1, 5W40, which I understand to be a true synthetic, since my first oil change. I buy it at Wally World, except the 13th quart, & get the filters online. Total for parts is just over $100 and cost of change has never been over $30. I'm getting 9000 - 10,000 miles between changes.

scottyb

I've never used synthetic in my diesels. I'm not saying one is better than the other, just not necessary to spend double the money. I have to change oil 3 - 4 times each year. But if it makes you fell better, by all means.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I also use Rotilla T 15W-40 and change the oil ever 5k miles. Have done this every time since I bought my 2006 F250. So far everything is working well.

BC

mobilcastle

I've been using Mobil 1, 5W40, which I understand to be a true synthetic, since my first oil change. I buy it at Wally World, except the 13th quart, & get the filters online. Total for parts is just over $100 and cost of change has never been over $30. I'm getting 9000 - 10,000 miles between changes.
This poster is right-make sure you are getting a true 100% synthetic-some are not 100%. I have always changed mine at 5K with regular dinno although I have considered on my new truck to look at synthetic I have had only one change and I used Delvac 15-40. If I changed I would only look at Mobil1. BTW there was a lawsuit over this I think between Mobil and Casterol. You can Google it.

porthole

Retired

Do you what?

Surprised the service writer didn't know? I did 20+ years in the automotive field, over 18 years in dealers.
I'm not surprised at all the writer didn't know. Actually, I would be more surprised if the writer was on the ball.

My 6.7 gets the oil changed somewhere between 6000-8000 miles. I do not go by the oil monitor as those are more a sales pitch then valuable information. It's all about "cost of ownership". I'll use the heavier oil in the summer and for the winter it gets the 5W stuff.

I use the Rotella products, of which there are currently 3, straight dino, a blend and straight synthetic. I use whatever is the best deal at the time, usally wally world or Tractor Supply. there is no porblem with mixing oil types. Your engine will never know if you have dino or syn.

All my filters and fuel additve I get fro dieselfiltersonline.com. I make my orders large enough to get the free shipping.

Synthetic oil on 5-8000 mile oil changes is really a waste of money.

MTPockets

Do you what?

Surprised the service writer didn't know? I did 20+ years in the automotive field, over 18 years in dealers.
I'm not surprised at all the writer didn't know. Actually, I would be more surprised if the writer was on the ball.

My 6.7 gets the oil changed somewhere between 6000-8000 miles. I do not go by the oil monitor as those are more a sales pitch then valuable information. It's all about "cost of ownership". I'll use the heavier oil in the summer and for the winter it gets the 5W stuff.

I use the Rotella products, of which there are currently 3, straight dino, a blend and straight synthetic. I use whatever is the best deal at the time, usally wally world or Tractor Supply. there is no porblem with mixing oil types. Your engine will never know if you have dino or syn.

All my filters and fuel additve I get fro dieselfiltersonline.com. I make my orders large enough to get the free shipping.

Synthetic oil on 5-8000 mile oil changes is really a waste of money.
What I'm asking when I say "Do You?" is, DO you know what your manual advises for the oil viscosity under the towing conditions vs. normal driving conditions. My Ford manual says towing a heavy load is the severe duty and to use the 5w40 synthetic. Normal driving calls for the 10w30 ... I was surprised when the service writer told me he never has a customer ask for 5w40......

Zoomzoommo

Is the factory fill dinosaur oil ? Any issues with running synthetic on a diesel too early in the break in process ?

TheLindsays

I have driven Fords.. all my life... love them... we always stick to the manufacturers suggestions... for our new truck we are having all maintenance including oil changes done at the dealer for the simple reason of documentation for warranty issues that may arise.. if you take your vehicle different place or change it yourself you are opening a door for them to argue about any warranty issue that may arise... I like to keep it simple .. if an issue were to come up... they can't argue with their own work :).. makes life easy... yes it may cost a few extra $$ along the way.. but these trucks are not cheap to begin with so you have to keep that in mind... they are not as simple as the cars and truck were from the 70's that anyone could work on .. they are more complicated.. and expensive to fix if something happens..

MTPockets

Is the factory fill dinosaur oil ? Any issues with running synthetic on a diesel too early in the break in process ?
I did say synthetic didn't I...., but, you know, I asked the dealer to put in the 5w40 Ford spec oil as specified in the Ford manual which says Motorcraft Super Duty Motor Oil. The service invoice which I rec'd says 5w40 synthetic oil.... I'm assuming this is the Ford spec oil since it was the dealer who put it in...... Now I gotta give 'em a call to see if it is in fact one and the same.... good question zoom....

MTPockets

I did say synthetic didn't I...., but, you know, I asked the dealer to put in the 5w40 Ford spec oil as specified in the Ford manual which says Motorcraft Super Duty Motor Oil. The service invoice which I rec'd says 5w40 synthetic oil.... I'm assuming this is the Ford spec oil since it was the dealer who put it in...... Now I gotta give 'em a call to see if it is in fact one and the same.... good question zoom....
I just talked with the service manager.... the Ford spec 5w40 'is' synthetic - one and the same... the factory OEM oil is not synthetic..'and' there is no issue with the break in, especially if you are over 500 miles...... according to this Ford dealer service manager........... (hope he's right)

Zoomzoommo

I just talked with the service manager.... the Ford spec 5w40 'is' synthetic - one and the same... the factory OEM oil is not synthetic..'and' there is no issue with the break in, especially if you are over 500 miles...... according to this Ford dealer service manager........... (hope he's right)

Thanks so much for checking this out!

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I asked my Ford service manager about this and they use a 5w40 Motorcraft synthetic blend. According to them it meets all warranty requirements. So since I have this dealer do all of the service work I feel this is okay since they are the ones doing any warranty work.

lwmcguir

I have driven Fords.. all my life... love them... we always stick to the manufacturers suggestions... for our new truck we are having all maintenance including oil changes done at the dealer for the simple reason of documentation for warranty issues that may arise.. if you take your vehicle different place or change it yourself you are opening a door for them to argue about any warranty issue that may arise... I like to keep it simple .. if an issue were to come up... they can't argue with their own work :).. makes life easy... yes it may cost a few extra $$ along the way.. but these trucks are not cheap to begin with so you have to keep that in mind... they are not as simple as the cars and truck were from the 70's that anyone could work on .. they are more complicated.. and expensive to fix if something happens..
Well stated. After the 200K extended warranty expires then I may change the oil as I do on all the other trucks. Way to much risk in my opinion as well.

Rickhansen

Oil is always a controversial subject, probably due to marketing hype and the lack of a reliable means to measure actual long-term performance. I use Rotella T5, which is a natural and synthetic blend. I recommend www.bobistheoilguy.com for some good layman level reading.

BarneyFife

My philosophy exactly on this truck. My oil and filter changes, fuel filter changes, transmission service, my auxiliary fuel tank, and anything else I may run across will be done at my dealership. They know what it requires and its completely documented in their computers. If anything warranty related comes up for debate, I can point to them.

Plus, they're a really good dealership and they do me right.