Ford 6.7...thoughts and experiences

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
TwoToes,

WHich warranty includes the oil changes. When I look at the Ford Warranties I do not see which one includes oild changes. I purchased my 2012 F350 SD Dually in December and was not offered such a plan.

Murry 135

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
Duane,

I thought TwoToes was stating it was included in the PremiumCare Service Package. Know wonder I could not find it in the advertised package.

Jim

sgtbigb

What was the problem with ur dodge? I have a 2010 3500 Lamarie Mega Cab that Had the check engine light come on 8 times, That is 8 trips two a dealer, Vehicle only has 14000 miles on it. Beautiful Truck but a pain in the rear:confused:
They will not give me my money back. Instead I'm having to get another dodge. Sent all the paperwork off today to them. I'm getting basically the same truck except 4.10 gears, max tow option and dark gray that will match the trailer.

I'd rather have the ford, but I'll take what I can get right now. The truck in my drive is worthless to uscurrently.

Brett

rustyshakelford

What was the problem with ur dodge? I have a 2010 3500 Lamarie Mega Cab that Had the check engine light come on 8 times, That is 8 trips two a dealer, Vehicle only has 14000 miles on it. Beautiful Truck but a pain in the rear:confused:

The problem with mine was severe power loss. It ended up being dodges fault. When they flashed the computer due to the o2 sensors and CEL something was wrong with the programming. I asked them to reflash the computer just for kicks 2 weeks before my new truck was due and it cured the problem. I had other issues too like the 4wd, leaking 3rd brake light which flooded the cab and a trailer brake controller that was bad. Long story short was that truck was a nightmare and I'm glad it's gone!

Brett

I would like to know also...
I have one of the early 2011 F350 and love it! I pull for a camper dealer here in Alabama and as of today have 160,060 miles and have replaced the radiator. That is it. The DEF usage is based alot of driving habits and load you are pulling. I picked up my 2013 Bighorn 3855FL @ factory and averaged 10.7MPH. Would tell you if there was something to report bad, but haven't found it.

DRGalligher

I have one of the early 2011 F350 and love it! I pull for a camper dealer here in Alabama and as of today have 160,060 miles and have replaced the radiator. That is it. The DEF usage is based alot of driving habits and load you are pulling. I picked up my 2013 Bighorn 3855FL @ factory and averaged 10.7MPH. Would tell you if there was something to report bad, but haven't found it.

Good to hear AlabamaBighorn - we tow a 3055RL and average 10 - 12 depending on mountain or flat land. The power is amazing and DH uses it as a daily driver because he averages 14 around town which is better mileage than our 93 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. With all the problems we've heard of with the high efficiency fuel pumps, it's good to hear that you haven't experienced this.

mmomega

AnyTimer
The numbers I've read about could be right or wrong about the HPFP but I want to say it was around 5 failures per 1,000 trucks. GM uses the same pump with the Duramax's and I believe the '08-'10's use it as well.
Media and forums can blow a small story out of proportion in no time.
I just saw an '11 on Craigslist with 200,000+ miles, do the math on that one for per day mileage when the trucks came out in March '10.

rustyshakelford

I'm wondering if some of the issues with the fuel system being relayed to the urea tanks fill port. I'd be suprised if urea is accidentally being introduced into the wrong filler neck. My new dodge is hanging around 10.4 mpg's towing

Brett

mmomega

AnyTimer
I've read quite a few threads where people poured a good quart or more of Urea right into the diesel tank before they noticed what they were doing.
I'm fairly certain there are a few cases of not paying attention but green cap usually means diesel, I buy BlueDEF brand def and there is a blue cap that and possibly filling up at a station out in BFE where the tanks could have water in them. Not as big a problem for the '07 back Ford/Chevy fuel pumps as with the newer HPFP's.
I keep a large jug of dieselkleen tied in the back of the truck anyway and pour in a few ounces each fill up. Supposed to lubricate more and contains higher cetane levels so why not. If it keep my fuel pump from crapping out then so be it even with the added cost of the additive I still come out cheaper than daily driving and towing with the 6.0L.

jwv

i just bought a 2012 f350 cc drw fx4 upgrading from a 2010 f250 cc fx4 short bed. what a difference. im pulling a 39ft 12k dry fver. i can spin the duallies accellerating. no comparison in accelerating, braking, and overall stability. no airbags required.
i had a scare with my f250. felt like suspension was being severely tested on every bridge and uneven road. i did not have enough truck. Now i do.

porthole

Retired
With the new style springs in the rear many are still seeing the need for air bags, at least with toy haulers.

jbeletti

Tom Martin at Classy Chassis told me the 2012 Ford needs the air springs to re-level when hitched whereas the 2012 Chevy does not.

This is with stock suspension.

porthole

Retired
Same with the 2011. Handles 3000 pounds with no problem but still drops below level. And it it still 3" or so away from the overload tabs.

ricatic

Same with the 2011. Handles 3000 pounds with no problem but still drops below level. And it it still 3" or so away from the overload tabs.

Agreed...My 3055RL ,ready to camp puts 2450 pounds of pin weight on the rear axle. The truck sits nice and level. Any more weight and it would be below level.

Regards

Vtxkid

I was wondering why the Fords F350's & F450's were still having to deal with air bags... Interesting.

porthole

Retired
The rear spring design was changed in 2011 in order to soften the ride.

Besides softening the ride (maybe) it induced a bit of vibration for some under a heavy load. And, as shown on the GM infomercials, there is some sagging under a load.

So now the 350 boys are prone to add air bags for heavy loads.

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
I'm happy with the way ours hauls our Bighorn. Here is a photo of it loaded and ready to go. I have been toying with the idea of adding bags but I really cant find the need. It rides and handles fine and I'm well within the weight limits. I have also been giving thought to swapping out the pin box. Any input would be welcome.

Attachments

• bh1.jpg
    bh1.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 33

mmomega

AnyTimer
If you notice with most F350 SRW 4x4 the rear end sits about 2" higher than the front. You put a load on it and they usually sit level, same with the GM trucks, most all HD models sit higher in the rear and they level out with the load. All the newer 350/450 DRW trucks sit fairly level unloaded so when we add a load it sits nose high. Mine squats quite a bit with the Landmark on it.