Ford 6.7...thoughts and experiences

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I just traded in my 2010 F350 Dually 6.4 liter diesel for a 2012 F350 Dually 6.7 liter diesel. Same color but the new one has the navigation system on it (sweet). Prior to my purchase I printed this thread and took it to the dealer (Hillcrest Ford in Huntsville Tx). I showed it to my salesman and asked how accurate the info in this thread is. He got the service manager who came and talked to me after reading the comments in this thread. The service manager said they have had to replace some high pressure fuel pumps but most of them have been on the 6.4 liter engines. The biggest issue I was told is people have not been replacing both fuel filters. One of the fuel filters (the one under the truck) collects any water in the fuel and needs to be drained periodically and changed regularly to prevent water from getting into the fuel system causing damage to the fuel system. When water gets into the system it causes rusting and damage and the high pressure pump, rails and injectors needs to be changed which is a very expensive repair (service manager told me). Ford will not cover this under warranty if this high pressure pump is rusted due to water in the fuel and the filters have not been changed. The service manager told me they have not seen this much on the 6.7 engine, mostly on the 6.4 engines.

I am only reported on what I was told because of my concern prior to purchasing the new truck. I will let yall know how the 6.7 compares to the 6.4 engines. So far I have found the 6.7 to be a 'peppier' performance wise although I have not yet towed with it. I am getting the bedliner (spray-in) and hitch installed tomorrow. I did remove the air bags, compressor and remote controller from the 2010 truck and will put them on the new truck later if needed. I removed the Hensley Trailer Saver hitch from the 2010 and it is being installed in the 2012. BTW I did not have the navigation system on the 2010 but have it on the 2012 and it is really neat and seems like a must have for anyone who travels much. Also the new truck has a built in hard drive where you can load the music CDs to the hard drive and not have to carry around CDs for the music you want to listen to. I spent the last two days recording the CDs I like to the HD.

Photos to follow....travel safe.

Rodbuster

How much fuel should you drain from that filter (under the truck)...pint, quart, or more? I've been doing mine once a month...should I drain it more often?

Thank you
Dick

porthole

Retired
Congrats Jim, you are going to like the new truck. The NAV is sweet, overpriced but a nice option. The phones work great with it too.
I did not renew the free subscription and don't miss it. The extras that it included you can get on any smart phone.
You will probably want the bags in if you like to have the truck level with the trailer attached. Otherwise you will be getting flashed because of the headlights (pretty good on this model).

Good luck and enjoy.

mmomega

AnyTimer
With the Nav and Sync system you can also connect your phone through bluetooth and play Pandora, music from iTunes ( if you have an iphone/icloud ) through the stereo by hitting the physical media button, then using the on-screen button to cycle through, USB -> Line-In -> Bluetooth Device. It is pretty neat.

You can also buy a small laptop external hard drive(one without an external power chord) , in my case the Western Digital 320GB Passport) and plug it into the USB connection. The stereo will notice the drive then search it for music which can also be played through the system. I keep about 60GB of mp3's in the truck and I can also use the drive for storing any other files that I like to keep with me on the go.

There is also an unused 2nd USB port on the sync system hidden behind the glove box. If you pull the glovebox down where you can see into the dash, then immediately to the right is the sync computer where you can notice a black cable coming out with leads to the on-dash USB connection. Directly below it is an open USB plug, you can buy a mini USB cable ( not micro) and connect it to this port. Run this cable to whereever you want in the truck..... to the console, the storage space under the front cup holders, etc and use it for another USB device to charge or play through the system. You'll also need a female to female USB connector.

ncc1701e

How much fuel should you drain from that filter (under the truck)...pint, quart, or more? I've been doing mine once a month...should I drain it more often?

Thank you
Dick

I wish I had an answer to the same question. I just drain about 14oz (have an old plastic cup for that purpose) once a month. Let it stand for a while to see if anything looks odd or settles in the bottom. I have yet to see anything but clear or as clear as diesel gets fuel. I do mine once a month like the book says also.

Tom

lwmcguir

Thank you
Dick[/QUOTE Only enough to make sure it is all fuel and no water. I drain every 3 months as it is easy to remember. Never found any water yet.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Update: Took the truck to get the spray in bedliner, 5th wheel hitch installed, power plug for RV and windows tinted. After awhile they called saying the truck was ready. I go to pick the truck up and the window tint looked good. I looked in the bed and the hitch was installed but they forgot to install the spray in bedliner. Now I have to take it back on Thursday to get that done. I get home with the truck and check the hitch and see they did not put in the pins which secure the hitch to the hitch rails. Upon further inspection I see the way they installed the rails was to remove the 4 bolts which attach the bed to the frame and use those bolts to bolt down the rails. Now I realize that is not the right way to install the rails so I am going to take the truck back to them tomorrow and have a chat with them to tell them of the other screwup they made and also explain how unsafe (liability to them) it is to not install the pins which attach the hitch to the rails. It scares me to think what might have happened if I had hitched up and tried to tow with it that way. Story to continue....

mmomega

AnyTimer
Agreed, bad start to hear about.

Even if it didn't come with the Reese underbed mounts from the factory it is a good mount to have as it accepts quite a few different hitches. Including the TrailerSaver TS3 and a few more I can't remember right off along with all of the Reese elite and signature series hitches. Plus the option of a gooseneck.

rustyshakelford

yall make me jealous! i wish i had been able to get the ford over the dodge. i made a 100 mile run leaving out of here at 4am. all highway with the cruise set of 65 and the best i got was 15mpg and the seats are uncomfortable

brett

porthole

Retired
Sorry to hear that Brett. I can say that this truck is the most comfortable pickup - SUV - van or car I have ridden in. Little tough op the bumps, but it is a 1 ton.

Moose

yall make me jealous! i wish i had been able to get the ford over the dodge. i made a 100 mile run leaving out of here at 4am. all highway with the cruise set of 65 and the best i got was 15mpg and the seats are uncomfortable

brett

On the bright side you'll still be driving/towing at 500,000 + miles!

ncc1701e

A quote straight out of the manual, page 30. "Rotate the drain counterclockwise until the o-ring is visible. Allow the DFCM to drain for approximately 25 seconds or until clean fuel is observed." 25 seconds is a lot of fuel drained. I've only got 7300 miles on the truck since buying new in December. I've drained it every month and yet to see anything in the cup I use for this. Never drained for 35 seconds though.

I have to say the truck is awesome though. Pulling is great with it and the ride is equally great. Not sorry at all at this point with anything about the truck except maybe the darn size of the the fuel tank. I've looked at replacing with a larger after market tank, just a little leary of giving Ford any reason to challenge me on a warranty issue should something strange happen.

When not towing the truck gets 18.5 mpg pretty much all the time without even trying hard. With the trailer it does in the 11.5 range except for a couple stretches through the smokies. That dragged the mileage down a little (lol). Most everyone is amazed at how quiet the truck runs. Did the first oil change at 5k and plan to do one every 5k even though the Ford manual says 7500 to 10k or when the computer says to change.

porthole

Retired
Titan makes a nice - looks factory tank. If you start with a near empty tank you can install it in under two hours.
65 gallons for the long bed.

dave10a

All I can say is the 2012 Ford F350 is a well designed and built truck that I have not found any faults with. It has power, drives well pulling my 16K trailer without any add on suspension mods and gets get reasonable fuel mpg. Its factory installed brake controller is top notch as well. Ford did well with this truck. My only problem is figureing out how to run all the du-dads that Ford included with my model.

ncc1701e

Titan makes a nice - looks factory tank. If you start with a near empty tank you can install it in under two hours.
65 gallons for the long bed.

I've actually spoken with Titan. The only concern right now is Ford. If you ask Titan, "Has Ford ever denied a warranty claim because of a Titan tank?" Once they stop humming the answer will be "Yes". Not often, but it has happened. Trying to weigh that against need or convienance of a larger tank right now. What really baffled me was finding out that Ford actually will put a larger tank on the Gas F250 than the Diesel in the same exact truck. I know this to be true because I owed both. Go figure.

With that said, I love the F250 Diesel. It is everything I wanted and more. Like Dave, just have to figure out all the bells and whistles on this darn thing.

porthole

Retired
I've actually spoken with Titan. The only concern right now is Ford. If you ask Titan, "Has Ford ever denied a warranty claim because of a Titan tank?" Once they stop humming the answer will be "Yes". Not often, but it has happened. Trying to weigh that against need or convienance of a larger tank right now. What really baffled me was finding out that Ford actually will put a larger tank on the Gas F250 than the Diesel in the same exact truck. I know this to be true because I owed both. Go figure.

With that said, I love the F250 Diesel. It is everything I wanted and more. Like Dave, just have to figure out all the bells and whistles on this darn thing.

There was an issue with the Titan tanks having debris in them from manufacturing and then being installed without being cleaned.
That caused a non warranty fuel related issue on some trucks.

Adding a larger tank by itself does nothing to your warranty more then adding a tonneau cover does. If the tank is an issue then yes, but it is incumbent on the manufacturer to prove the item caused the failure.

If you install the tank with debris - shame on the installer

If the tank starts melting with ethanol laced fuel, you have a problem. If the Factory tank starts melting with ethanol laced fuel - we all have problems, just look at the marine industry. The bone head government subsidized to farming mandate of ethanol laced fuels has probably cost in the hundreds of millions in repairs in the marine industry. Do you have any idea how many boats have fiberglass tanks that literally dissolved?

A 65 gallon, in frame tank, is a great option.