Ford Approved Oils for New CK-4 Specs

rxbristol

I'm still finding Rotella T6 oils with the CJ-4 specs on the shelves, but once that stock is depleted the new CK-4 will come online. For those interested, here's a link for Ford approved oils meeting the WSS-M2C171-F1 requirements as of December 2016, since they do not recommend the new Rotella T6 CK-4...LINK.

porthole

Retired
I'm still finding Rotella T6 oils with the CJ-4 specs on the shelves, but once that stock is depleted the new CK-4 will come online. For those interested, here's a link for Ford approved oils meeting the WSS-M2C171-F1 requirements as of December 2016, since they do not recommend the new Rotella T6 CK-4...LINK.

I have 9 gallons of T-6 on the shelf and all of it is CJ-4

Shell's T-6 info page though lists the oil as CK-4

[h=3]OEM Specifications and Approvals for Shell ROTELLA® t6 full synthetic heavy duty engine oil[/h]
  • API: CK-4, CJ-4, CI-4 PLUS, CI-4, CH-4
  • ACEA E9; JASO DH-2; Cummins CES 20086; Volvo VDS-4.5; Detroit Fluid Specification (DFS) 93K222, Caterpillar ECF-2/ECF-3, MAN M3575, JASO MA/MA2, Allison TES 439, MB-Approval 228.31

NYSUPstater

Seeing a thread like this on Trailer Life forum, I have to ask for those w/ more knowledge than me, is Rotella T6 ok to use in Ford's 6.7? Seems to be a yes/no kinda deal where Ford says no, but Shell says it's safe and feel that it will meet Ford's specs soon. If you use T6 w/ CK rating and have a engine failure, Ford would have to prove it was due to the T6 and if so, would Shell stand behind their oil and counter argue/pay for repair?

travlingman

Seeing a thread like this on Trailer Life forum, I have to ask for those w/ more knowledge than me, is Rotella T6 ok to use in Ford's 6.7? Seems to be a yes/no kinda deal where Ford says no, but Shell says it's safe and feel that it will meet Ford's specs soon. If you use T6 w/ CK rating and have a engine failure, Ford would have to prove it was due to the T6 and if so, would Shell stand behind their oil and counter argue/pay for repair?

I have used Rotella T-6 previously, but since the CK is not approved, I will switch to one that is on the approved list. To much expense to worry if there is a problem.

And for those that have the T-6 labeled as CJ spec, if it is in the new style bottle, it is actually CK. Shell was bottling the CK but labeling as CJ last year.

This is Shell's press release from last year: The "new look" of Shell Rotella "bottles" that will contain its CK-4 and FA-4 engine oils. Shell said that oils formulated to meet the CK-4 spec will be replacing CJ-4 spec oils starting in August, though the labeling on the bottles won't display the CK-4 "donut" label until Dec. 1. Shell plans to release its FA-4 oils into the market at a later date this year.
http://fleetowner.com/equipment/shell-unveils-ck-4-fa-4-engine-oils#slide-6-field_images-196441

rxbristol

I switched, this time, to MAG-1, FMX (a Ford approved oil). It will be interesting when I get the oil analysis back from Blackstone upon the next oil change. It was always great when using Rotella.

fastcarsspeed

You have to pay to get approved sometimes by manufacturers and companies are not willing to do it. I have been Running Rotella T6 in my 2011 since the first oil change. I run motorcraft oil filters and I will continue to do so. Everyone is switching to the new formula so I think we are going to have to deal with it sooner or later. The Diesel truck forums are all talking about it and disputing it etc...

alexb2000

You have to pay to get approved sometimes by manufacturers and companies are not willing to do it. I have been Running Rotella T6 in my 2011 since the first oil change. I run motorcraft oil filters and I will continue to do so. Everyone is switching to the new formula so I think we are going to have to deal with it sooner or later. The Diesel truck forums are all talking about it and disputing it etc...

I do exactly the same thing and it will be REALLY hard to get me to change too.

I did see where Rotella T6 is in progress for approval so fingers X'd.

NHCelt

Others are starting to agree with Ford that the ck-4 spec may be lacking. For what it's worth, Ford mandates 5-40 synthetic as the severe service towing oil.
Valvoline extreme blue 5-40 meets Ford spec and is usually about $63.00 for a case of 3 gallons on amazon.

jdamude

Others are starting to agree with Ford that the ck-4 spec may be lacking. For what it's worth, Ford mandates 5-40 synthetic as the severe service towing oil.
Valvoline extreme blue 5-40 meets Ford spec and is usually about $63.00 for a case of 3 gallons on amazon.

I have a 2017 ford F350 and a 2016 F450. My dealer told us that the specs have chnaged on the CK4 oil to CK7 and it does not meet the ford requirements anymore. The oil that is being reccomended now is Mobil one 0w40 with the CK4 Spec.

alexb2000

I have a 2017 ford F350 and a 2016 F450. My dealer told us that the specs have chnaged on the CK4 oil to CK7 and it does not meet the ford requirements anymore. The oil that is being reccomended now is Mobil one 0w40 with the CK4 Spec.

Reference? I cannot find a single 0w40 oil on the approved list from Fords site or any weight of Mobil 1? I have also searched on CK7 and have no mention of it, got a link by chance?

NHCelt

I just saw this, and the second document is a marketing statement from someone other than FORD. As of today, FORD dies not list any approved 0-40 oils.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

NHCelt

Now... Could FORD be messed up. Perhaps, but I would be careful.

jdamude

I just saw this, and the second document is a marketing statement from someone other than FORD. As of today, FORD dies not list any approved 0-40 oils.

Both Documents are directly from Ford. The marketing bulletin is from Ford's Technical site "Inford.com". If you are unsure of what you are reading, present these to your dealer for them to confirm. Be sure of what you are doing as your powertrain warranty could be in question!

alexb2000

Both Documents are directly from Ford. The marketing bulletin is from Ford's Technical site "Inford.com". If you are unsure of what you are reading, present these to your dealer for them to confirm. Be sure of what you are doing as your powertrain warranty could be in question!

Just a point and I don't know what laws you have in Canada; but in the U.S. we have the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act. That means that before Ford could deny your powertrain warranty they would have to prove that the oil you used specifically caused the damage. I have a hard time believing for example that Rotella T-6 which meets the original manufacturer specs when the truck was sold, can retroactively be unsafe for your engine. Most consumers have no idea about these new oil specifications and could care less. They will just continue to follow what is in the owners manual that came with the truck and printed on the oil fill cap. I would be interested to read about any example of warranty denial based on type of oil used.

NYSUPstater

Good to hear/see that T6 is finally approved. One thing I didn't see as I don't know the mfr is (just the name brand), but didn't see Amzoil on the list. Then again, my glasses are dirty.

porthole

Retired
Amsoil apparently would not submit the tech data required for Ford to approve.
Although amsoil will be happy to tell you their oil meets ford specs anyway.