Ford Expedition Towing

marymika

Brand spanking new to the RV scene. I've searched through the forum looking for some specific info without results. So, can anyone help me with this?

I have a very well maintained Ford Expedtion, 2006 XLT 4X2, without the tow package. It is rated at 6000#. I have been told by a dealer that it would be "plenty of vehicle" to tow a NT 21FBS that has a dry weight of 4450#. (Of course the only time a trailer is towed dry is when it is delivered to the dealer.) I would suspect that the towed weight would exceed 5000#.

We would like to be able to tow comfortably all around the country. Input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Garry Bird

d_fergie

I just picked up a 22FBS last week and will take it out this weekend, I have an F150 with the small V8 and like you no towing package, I had a hitch which was installed along with the trailer brake etc by the local dealer... I had to pick up an iso relay so my truck will charge my NT, but I did have a transmission cooler already, I'll know more after this weekends trip on it being "enough". (But right now I only plan on short trips so I can put up with being under powered).

Manzan

We had our 21 FBS weighed at Gillet last year and it came in at 6400--500 lbs below the GVW. Granted, we had almost everything in it just to see how much it would weigh. We might be able to shave off the 400 lbs but then you would be right on the edge. Does not make for a very comfortable trip in my opinion. You would be better off with more truck. A truck matched to the trailer will last longer also.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
When we had our NT, we weighed about 5260, I believe. We didn't have a ton of stuff in it, either, and tanks were empty.

I would not trust a dealer, they are in the business to sell trailers, not insure your safety.

Check out www.fifthwheelst.com for more great tow vehicle/trailer weight information. This site was developed by a Heartland owner, and is very helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The setup you have is not good for long travels. Without the tow package you are lacking a transmission cooler, have a smaller radiator, and have 3.31 gears as opposed to 3.73. Not good at all for traveling around the country.
I wouldn't sweat the short trips while you decide on another vehicle though.

Good luck on your decision.