Possible Newport Purchase

Mike4401

Hi there. I am about to give up my towing days, and purchase a larger rig for semi permanent placement in an RV Resort near Palm Springs. The Newport is on the top of our list right now, and I have a couple of questions.

1. Can I order a Newport with standard graphics (no full body paint). All of the FBP colors are very dark, and that is not a good thing in the desert. I see on the internet some 2016 models that had more white on the exterior, and this is what I am looking for.

2. I also notice some other changes from the '16 to the '17. The 16's had no pantry, but they did have the dining buffet. The 17's have the pantry, but no buffet. I want both. There are still some 16's for sale on the internet with some pretty attractive prices, but we really want the pantry. So.....I am considering going with the '17 with pantry, and then having a cabinet shop build us a matching buffet for the dining area. It would probably just be a shelf of some sort, without the cabinet below. Our computer is usually set up on the dining table, and the buffet, or shelf would be a great place to quickly move the computer and regain the use of our dining table. What do you think of this idea? Has anybody done this?

3. What is the approximate real world pin weight of this unit as delivered? I have a '15 Chevy 3500 HD, single rear wheel, with a payload of 3800 lbs. This tow would be a one time deal, about 800 miles, from dealer to final resting place. I have towed heavy loads before, and think I could do this. What do you think?

Thanks in advance for the help. Great feeling to know that I will get accurate answers on this board. I've been reading the board off and on for a few years now.

mike

jbeletti

Mike - see my feedback inline below. Note that I do not speak for the factory in this matter.

Hi there. I am about to give up my towing days, and purchase a larger rig for semi permanent placement in an RV Resort near Palm Springs. The Newport is on the top of our list right now, and I have a couple of questions.

1. Can I order a Newport with standard graphics (no full body paint). All of the FBP colors are very dark, and that is not a good thing in the desert. I see on the internet some 2016 models that had more white on the exterior, and this is what I am looking for.
jbeletti: If you wanted to order a new coach, it "might" be possible to get a different paint scheme for lighter colors. You'd want to speak directly with the LM sales team at Heartland - 574-262-5992.

2. I also notice some other changes from the '16 to the '17. The 16's had no pantry, but they did have the dining buffet. The 17's have the pantry, but no buffet. I want both. There are still some 16's for sale on the internet with some pretty attractive prices, but we really want the pantry. So.....I am considering going with the '17 with pantry, and then having a cabinet shop build us a matching buffet for the dining area. It would probably just be a shelf of some sort, without the cabinet below. Our computer is usually set up on the dining table, and the buffet, or shelf would be a great place to quickly move the computer and regain the use of our dining table. What do you think of this idea? Has anybody done this?
jbeletti: Having a cabinet maker make you the buffet just like you want it is a way to get you into a coach that you otherwise love. Go for it!

3. What is the approximate real world pin weight of this unit as delivered?
jbeletti: Without a generator, my guess is that the dry pin will be in the low to mid 3000s.

I have a '15 Chevy 3500 HD, single rear wheel, with a payload of 3800 lbs. This tow would be a one time deal, about 800 miles, from dealer to final resting place. I have towed heavy loads before, and think I could do this. What do you think?
jbeletti: I assume this is a diesel? If so, I'd be comfortable towing it to it's final home.

Thanks in advance for the help. Great feeling to know that I will get accurate answers on this board. I've been reading the board off and on for a few years now.

mike

dlw930

mike

Last summer, we had a cabinetmaker outside Shipsewana, IN (near Elkhart) make a buffet/credenza to replace the dinette that came in our 2013 Landmark. I believe the name is Focal Wood Products. We were in the area so made arrangements to take our rig by his shop so he could do a custom install. Several cabinet makers in the Elkhart area will make this type of piece. Since they use a more/less standard design with some parts premade, the cost is reduced a bit over a total custom piece. I think if you Google "custom RV furniture", you'll be able to find what you want, or at least good ideas. We're extremely happy with ours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike4401

Thanks for your responses. Yes, the truck is a diesel. I will give the LM folks a call on paint colors. And thanks for the info on the furniture maker. Looks like I can do all of this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Mike4401

Well, I am no longer in the market for a LM Newport. We bought one yesterday from Sutton RV in Eugene Oregon. Kip, the salesman at Sutton RV was great to work with, as was Kevin, the west coast LM factory rep. Very easy, professional deal from start to finish, and a great price, to boot.

The rig should be ready around the end of May. We have already booked a few campgrounds in Oregon for a trip starting the second week of July. We will drive to Eugene, do the PDI, and camp for a few nights in town. Then, we head to Lincoln City for 4 days, and then down the Oregon coast, and eventually all the way to Palm Springs, where the coach will be "anchored" to the ground for the foreseeable future.

Although all the places we have reservations say they can accommodate "big rigs", and the campground staff confirmed that we would fit, I am a little concerned with the length of this rig. Specifically, the axles sit more to the rear of the rig, which, when coupled with the length of my short bed crew cab Chevy, will make backing in to sites more challenging than I would like. I suspect it will turn slow backing up. Will need a wide access road to make it all work. Is all this a real concern, or am I just being nervous going from a 36 footer to a 43 footer?

ms

jbeletti

Mike,

Congrats on your Newport purchase!

Yes, the longer rig does react slow when backing. Successfully backing into a site includes a couple of things being right:
- Rig being parallel with road
- Rig distance from edge of road on side your backing into
- When to start cutting the wheel at the corner of the site

In my experience, depending on the width of the road, you generally don't want to have your rig wheels right at the edge of the road and you also don't want to be in the center of the road. Here again, I am generalizing as to where you need to be is a function of road width and what the approach at the corner of the site is like.

Take it slow, trust your mirrors and uses a spotter as needed. Also, carefully watch all other parked vehicles.

porthole

Retired
what kind of truck can make a difference as well.

The wide track on the Ford 450's and some of the 350's really helps with CQC.

(CQC close quarters combat, which is what it seems like at times)