Forum software upgrade / New Look

SilverRhino

Initial look is good....thanks for all your hard work keeping us up with the latest technology!

Like all change....it will just take a little time & patience to be comfortable .

porthole

Retired
I just received a new email for the thread update, and it takes me to initial post each time, not the new post. Is that something I have to go back and change somewhere on my profile or settings?

GETnBYE

Looks Great. I like the brightness, seems easier on the eyes! Thanks for all of you hard work. I am sure it was a large undertaking.
Nita

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
What do the red and blue open envelopes signify at the listing of each thread? Why the color difference?

Tom of Ypsi

I think I like the new forum changes just have to get use to them. What I do miss though is: The members names on the posts need to be bigger, would like to know where the person posting and everyone else who is replying is from and would like to see when the last time I visited. Keep up the good work on the best rv forum on the planet and if one of the astronauts in space has a Hearltand product and is on line then it would be the best forum in the whole universe and beyond.

linuxkidd

Is it just me or do the thread email notices not take you to the newest post since last viewed?

I've noticed that as well. I'll be correcting this as soon as I can find the portion of code for the email. Until that is corrected, when you get to the top post, if you look just above the post in the thin header, you'll see a "View First Unread" link. Clicking that takes you to the first new post.

A feature I see with a SMF forum I am on all the time is when viewing "new since last visit" threads...
So, one of the feature changes we made on the forum a little over a year ago was to have the forum track all threads that have been viewed within the database on a per-user basis. While this doesn't exactly duplicate the feature you mention above, it does a great job of keeping up with what you've not seen. If you want to clear the whole forum, there's an option for that under the 'Forum Actions' sub-menu above called 'Mark Forums Read'.

To see the most recent 100 updated threads, click the 'What's New' button on the top menu bar.

One part of the portal page I miss is the list of who is online and which of my friends are online at that time. I don't know if you can ever get that back, and you have more important things to worry about, but add it to the "work on it eventually" list please.
Will definitely put it on the list for review. I agree that this is a feature that comes in handy and expect we can get some similar capability back.

Quick question, where do you go now to view active topics. Maybe i'm just overlooking it. Thanks
Check the 'What's New?' link on the top menu bar.

I just received a new email for the thread update, and it takes me to initial post each time, not the new post. Is that something I have to go back and change somewhere on my profile or settings?
Nope, nothing to change on your end. It's a change in the software that I'm going to try and revert. In the mean time, use the 'View First Unread' link in the bar just above the first post in a thread. This link is only visible if there are new posts since the last time you viewed the thread.

What do the red and blue open envelopes signify at the listing of each thread? Why the color difference?
So, by checking the name of the image itself, I found that the Red icons signify a 'Hot' thread. Not sure what the number is, but it is keyed on the number of posts in the thread. The Blue version of the same icon is just a thread with new posts.

For the record, these items are being investigated:

• Who is Online
  • Friends that are Online
  • Thread email notices going to the first new post
  • Quicklinks for past X days posts as we had before
  • Larger member name font
  • Location of poster in their data at the top of each post

Keep em come'n everyone. This is great feedback.
LK

2010augusta

So, by checking the name of the image itself, I found that the Red icons signify a 'Hot' thread. Not sure what the number is, but it is keyed on the number of posts in the thread. The Blue version of the same icon is just a thread with new posts.

LK

It appears to me that the hot topic icon is affected by the number of views a thread has and the change over from blue to red is near 125 views.

jimtoo

Hi LK...Forum is looking good ,,, just takes a little while to get used to it... I have found a couple of threads that I cannot view the 2nd page, regardless of how I try to get there. This is one of them... although it list it as 2nd page it is still page 1. Check this one and see if it works for you.

Another one //heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/14364-Bighorn-water-filter-add-on/page2

Thanks for all your work.

Jim M

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
Jim and LK,
Actually between both of those lists, I got what I wanted. and you got the locations of posters to show!
Thanks.
Kristy

irvin56

As if you don't have enough.
BY THE WAY, THANK you SIR =

using North Trail area for example.

when you go to =rv communities(sub forums)
Enter any one (ask factory)
on small header it has = Forum tools
Click on it and selections open.
Click on mark this forum read.

Nothing happens and it does not mark it or the whole North trail forum read

just so all members aware of this, untill the bugs are worked out.

BTW Did Jim and heartland give you a New trailer to try out as a nice jester?

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I'm still getting confused with one thing so far. When I respond to a thread or respond using a quote, once I click to submit the reply, I can then only find that thread under the subscribed tab. Shouldn't it also be visible under new posts?

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I have always had a problem with reading a post then wanting to come back to it later. Not remembering what the full subject was I could not find it in the new post. I would like to see the Active Posts where you could pick one day, 2 days, 3 days, week or month. That way if I missed any of the new posts or had read one and whated to go back and read them again all I had to do was select the number of days posts I wanted to read. New posts are good but if they are over 24 hrs and I have read it, it is difficult to find and can be missed.

Thanks
BC

wdk450

My daily usage of the old forum was to check "New Posts" to see if I could be of any help to anyone. The nearest I can see to this now, with the new software, is "Open Threads" which doesn't seem to have the amount of topics that the old "New Posts" had. Is there something that I am doing wrong?

2010augusta

My daily usage of the old forum was to check "New Posts" to see if I could be of any help to anyone. The nearest I can see to this now, with the new software, is "Open Threads" which doesn't seem to have the amount of topics that the old "New Posts" had. Is there something that I am doing wrong?

It is now the "What's New?" button

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
It is now the "What's New?" button
Alan, maybe you're seeing something I'm missing. Under the "what's new" tab doesn't show a post I've just replied to. I can only view that post in the "Subscribed" area. So far that's the only thing that's has me puzzled. Thoughts?

wyleyrabbit

The more I use the new forum, the more I like it.

Takes a bit of retraining my old brain, but I'm getting there.

Great work everyone! :D

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
To find a thread, I sometimes would go to my profile and then click the button for "find all posts" if I had posted on it. Now there is only one post coming up-a previous post on this thread. Have we lost all the history?

Using the search is not bring up any results either. Is this just temporary?