Frame Anxiety

MTPockets

We love our Big Horn and have learned a lot from This and other forums. From reading soooo much about the many issues with frames, springs, bolts, etc... I'm starting to wonder, and ask the question - Is "my" frame good enough? First, I've had no problem, but wonder, given the hundreds, if not thousands of issues, do I need to get: Wet Bolts? or the Mor-Ryde X-Factor? --- Any other frame support goodies that are out there? It's so hard to really tell if these many issues are brought on by careless use, overloading, poor maintenance, or is it an industry that has cut the corner so close all these add-ons become necessary? Do I act 'before' something happens? WILL anything go wrong? Warranty is short - Is that alone evidence of potential future problems? If answers are - these add-ons are money well spent, that would suggest there are problems with frame strength. ???????????????????????

Westwind

I too have the same concerns as you do, even though we leave for a 1400 mile trip Saturday. Our only other trip was home from the dealer (240). I suppose some of these add on's would be for peace of mind, hopefully. But I, like you would like to hear from owners that have made additions or changes to protect something from happening or to correct something that happened. My last RV was a TT and we used it for 10 years and took good care of it and we were rewarded with good service and no major problems. Hopefully I'll be saying that about our Bighorn 3070RL.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Lubrication of moving parts is always a good idea so I would recommend either wet bolts or the never lube bushings recently talked about on this forum.
As far as the frame goes, given the thousands that are on the road and the hand full of problems, I would not loose any sleep over it.
On occasion you need to crawl under your rig and inspect it.

Peace
Dave

brianharrison

Hi MT!

You are already well along the way to a peaceful "frame of mind", in my opinion (pun intended). Being mindful of your frame and what prolongs or compromises it's life is what's important. Sounds like you are getting to know what to look for and how to manage the issues to avoid problems. Hope this helps your anxiety.

I have always watched my frame/suspension/wheels etc to avoid issues before they happen. That being said, Murphy still seems to have his laws......:D

I suspect the frames are less "robust" than what was fabricated in the 70s/80s/90s. How ever, we as consumers are always demanding manufacturers give us more for less. Where is the optimal point? I debate this often around campfires with libations.

PS I have a trailair pin box, wetbolts, and trailair suspension - I have found these to be worth the money - if I had unlimited cash I would install a full air ride; but I don't so I haven't.

Take care,
Brian

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
I think everyone reads about the frame issues and feels some concern regarding such. I do believe that those with frame problems are very vocal (rightfully so) but I can't seem to overlook the fact that Lippert produces thousands of frames for many different manufacturers using as many different specifications. Although we do hear about frame problems here and at other forums, I think it is probably a small percentage (albeit to many) of the frames produced. We all just hope ours is solid and keep a vigilant eye on what we can to avoid such a catastrophe.

Best Wishes!