Frequency of RV Tire Replacement

Birchwood

I run Goodyear 614 tires on our Landmark.Visted a Goodyear tire center and they stated vehicle tires should be replaced at 10 years.
I am due to replace two 2008 614 tires because they are more that 5 years old.We are not sitters and travel with our RV every 2 or three
weeks each and every week of the year for 8 months.We do sit in Florida for a 4 month period.I am wondering if we are wasting our money
by replacing them after 5 years as the tires are like new with lots of tread.

Tombstonejim

Re: Frequency if RV Tire Replacement

I don't have much experience with 5th wheels but on motor homes we usually ran them 6 or 7 years. If they look good I would run them at least another year.

pegmikef

FWIW some friends of mine had a blowout on one of their 614s on their BH on the way to a rally in Santo, TX last spring that did extensive damage to the hydraulic system to the point that the landing gear could not be lowered nor the slides opened. If I remember right Nan told us that they had lost track of the age of the tire and she thought it was five years old. They replaced them all right after the weekend.

Mrsfish

I think it really, really depends on your conditions. Here is arizona where we have lots of heat and very little moisture, dry rot will kill your tire wayyyy before the tread is gone. Do you cover your tires when not in use? Do you park on concrete, rock or dirt? Do you monitor you air pressure ALL the time? I don't think there's a simple answer across the board. It depends....

jnbhobe

I just read today that Mastercraft and Cooper say 10 years is the life span on their tires.

Jim.Allison

Your tire 614's come with 1/2 inch of tread because less tread means less heat. So when taking tread measurements take that into consideration. As far as your tire is concerned if there is no checking on the sidewall and you have always kept them inflated correctly, your tires are probably in good shape. The carcass of the 614 is advertised by Goodyear as "highly retreadable" meaning that the carcass of the tire is very durable and can travel HUNDREDS of THOUSANDS of miles. As long as the tread is secured to the carcass the tire will function. I doubt that your tire needs replacing at 5 years. Unless they have been subjected to extreme weathering and UV rays, such as what you might find in Arizona. Even then 5 years is not enough to kill that tire IMHO

Goodyear is easy to contact and I bet you can call them and inquire about the lifespan of a 614. I would not take the word of a storemanager at a tire shop. Nor me for that matter.

Goodluck

I run Goodyear 614 tires on our Landmark.Visted a Goodyear tire center and they stated vehicle tires should be replaced at 10 years.
I am due to replace two 2008 614 tires because they are more that 5 years old.We are not sitters and travel with our RV every 2 or three
weeks each and every week of the year for 8 months.We do sit in Florida for a 4 month period.I am wondering if we are wasting our money
by replacing them after 5 years as the tires are like new with lots of tread.

lwmcguir

We run them until they look bad. Over temp and over loading is what ruins tires. Some of the trailer tires are well over ten years but on the Augusta they will get changed out in a couple more years and moved to a less critical trailer then ran until they fail.

Bohemian

10 years sounds about right for the best you can expect. 6 is reasonable for bad conditions, heat, sun, ice, etc.