Fresh Water Capacity - to the Fullest!

DRGalligher

The specs state for the 2011 3055RL for fresh water - 75 gallons. Minus the 12 gallon water heater, leaves 63 actual gallons for the fresh water tank. We dry camp a lot and fill our tanks. Haven't done this in the new Bighorn yet. How many of you have filled your fresh water tank to capacity (or just below) and how true is this number? In our previous TT we had 60 gallons fresh water capacity with a 10 gallon water heater so we could easily dry camp for 7 - 8 days and still have water left over that we would dump to lighten the load for the ride home. Thanks for your feedback!

branson4020

Icantre Member
OK, I've filled my fresh water to capacity a number of times, but how the heck would I know exactly how many gallons that was?

boatdoc

Unless things have changed, several of us never were able to get the stated amount in the tank. The tank may very well hold that many gallons but getting it full is a bear. Do a search on "fresh water tank". you should see lot's of reading.

jnbhobe

Interesting that I haven't had a response. Do none of you boondock and fill your water tanks?

Ok I boondock all the time but I have never measured the contents. I made sure my vent lines were up in the air and I fill all the way. Ican go for 3-4 days but I don't try to conserve any

DRGalligher

Branson40 - you're right. We had a 50 gallon fresh tank on our last RV - a TT - and although we would fill it till the water came out or vent, then dump off a couple of gallons, we too didn't know for sure exactly how much was in the tank. All we knew is that we easily could go for 7 - 8 days boondocking and still have some leftover. I know that there is a guage you can add to your hose to measure this so maybe that's what we'll have to do, or just take our chance as before.

DRGalligher

Ok I boondock all the time but I have never measured the contents. I made sure my vent lines were up in the air and I fill all the way. Ican go for 3-4 days but I don't try to conserve any
Thanks for the response. This is good to know. I would imagine that if you don't conserve at all that you probably would only get this number of days out of your tank and by conserving you could easily double that.

2010augusta

This could be a useful device to see just how many gallons you have filled.

cleanairgardening_2118_1605053

http://www.cleanairgardening.com/water-usage-meter.html

have only boondocked for 3 nights total and 2 were in sub freezing temps, so our pump has been used more for winterizing than anything else.

RoadJunkie

That's a pretty neat little gizmo, especially for $25.00. I can almost hear the guys at HL cringe at the thought of people measuring how much water fills--or doesn't fill--or fills too quickly--the fresh water tank. LOL.

Two Hands

One of our favorite camping spots has electricity, but no water or sewer. We fill with fresh water just before we arrive and insure both grey tanks and the black tank are empty. We have no idea how much water we take on, we just fill until it starts coming out the intake port. We can go five days by conserving water and taking very quick showers. The shower water pressure is better with the pump then it is when we are connected to city water. It is just the CEO/Navigator and me, no kids, grandchildren or pets.

Yianni

http://www.cleanairgardening.com/water-usage-meter.html

have only boondocked for 3 nights total and 2 were in sub freezing temps, so our pump has been used more for winterizing than anything else.

Thanks Alan. Good job. I just ordered one. I have a pretty good idea of how much I have when I'm full since I reworked my tank plumbing but on several occasions I have only wanted to carry 1/4 to 1/2 full tanks if we are just going somewhere for a couple of days. That is all guess work so this will be great.

DRGalligher

http://www.cleanairgardening.com/water-usage-meter.html have only boondocked for 3 nights total and 2 were in sub freezing temps, so our pump has been used more for winterizing than anything else.

Neat device - will have to get this now! Thanks for the link and picture. Have you had problems in filling your fresh water tank and having it leak off like I've read on some of the posts here? Gawd, just got this beautiful rig and don't want any hassles. One of our previous TT's had the same type of fresh water tank drain - sticking straight out the bottom and you had to crawl under to remove the plug - never had a problem with it siphoning as I've read or leaking. Last TT had a valve that you pulled to empty the fresh tank. Nice. Can live with this valve as long as my fresh water stays put till I use it.

DRGalligher

Two Hands - you have the same model we just bought - any problems keeping fresh water in your tank, not leaking off the drain valve, and be able to fill it without problems? Thanks!