Fresh water drain dripping from empty tank

andyd273

We have a mallard pathfinder P18BHS that has a gravity fed fresh water tank that we've never put water into.
We've left the drain open since it shouldn't have anything in there.
On day two of our stay the drain valve started dripping water.
Not a stream, but definitely a constant fast drip.

The bottom is covered so I can't see what is going on.

The water pump hasn't been on at all, so I'm not sure how worried I should be about it, or what I should check on.

I have seen the fresh water overflow document, and it's possible that the backflow solution for the pump will fix it, but I'm not sure where to cut through the plastic cardboard stuff, and it's got spray foam insulation in there so the less exploring I have to do the better, so if there is anywhere to find the actual building plans so I know where to look?

Attachments

• 17166494895155527213080369367413.jpg
    17166494895155527213080369367413.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 15
Last edited:

SLO

I’d say the check valve at your water pump is not sealing completely, allowing water to get by check valve and into your tank. I’d also suggest getting a plug for gas quick disconnect fitting in the picture.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Agree the internal pump check valve may be at fault. Sometimes, with some water in the tank (close the valve & let some water accumulate) cycling the pump might correct the problem.
Otherwise an external added check valve is added right at the pump, i have one, so there should be no need to work from underneath.
Not super familiar with a Mallard camper but isn’t the water pump under the kitchen sink or dinette bench?

andyd273

I’d say the check valve at your water pump is not sealing completely, allowing water to get by check valve and into your tank. I’d also suggest getting a plug for gas quick disconnect fitting in the picture.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I never actually noticed that quick release until I took the picture... I'm going to have to get one of those, but now I kind of want to find a hose that I can use to connect my Coleman propane grill that takes those little tanks so I don't have spend money on the little ones.

jmarnell

I never actually noticed that quick release until I took the picture... I'm going to have to get one of those, but now I kind of want to find a hose that I can use to connect my Coleman propane grill that takes those little tanks so I don't have spend money on the little ones.

When connecting your Coleman grill, keep in mind that it has a built in pressure regulator to work with those small high pressure propane tanks. But the propane from the RV quick connect is already low pressure, so your grill won't have enough propane pressure to work properly. You have to either remove the pressure regulator from your Coleman grill, or get another grill that is already set up to work with a low pressure connection. I gave our Coleman grill to our son and bought a new grill already configured to work with the RV connection.

Dahillbilly

I just plumbed (teed) a quick connect fitting into the line from one tank before the auto change-over/ regulator valve. Yes it's high pressure but ir works for my Weber Q grill or Coleman stove.