Fresh water tank overflowing on city water (Resolved)

Chris571

Re: Fresh water tank overflowing on city water

John thank you and all others on this post. I'm out with my brand new 2017 cyclone 4250
havi g same issue. I figured it probably that valve also.
Going to go out and check, hopefully get a plug today. , mine has two lines to fresh water tank.
We have only been able to use water from the tank and pump.
But at least I figured out a way yesterday to get water.
I was thinking of a cap or to cut lines and loop together.
My unit has about 8 small problems, working on one at a time. , going to need a vacation from my vacation now.
Lol I'll go get caps and a case of Corona lol.
Thank you everyone

Aktraveler, on first trip we had a few issues. We filled the water tank using the 4 way valve, but apparently there is no overflow indicator when tank is full. We had fresh water running out from under the fender wells and when the nose was left low, the interior forward cargo area was very wet as well.
According to the owners manual, the only indicator of a full tank is the light on the interior panel. I allowed the tank to overflow waiting for the hose normally indicating a full tank, which does not exist. There might be a n overflow at the top of the tank, but the manual says damage will occur should you fill the tank with a hose that full.
Hopefully I have't damaged the valve in the process. Shark valves are a great item to have in the spares box. Quick, permanent,

danemayer

Aktraveler, on first trip we had a few issues. We filled the water tank using the 4 way valve, but apparently there is no overflow indicator when tank is full. We had fresh water running out from under the fender wells and when the nose was left low, the interior forward cargo area was very wet as well.
According to the owners manual, the only indicator of a full tank is the light on the interior panel. I allowed the tank to overflow waiting for the hose normally indicating a full tank, which does not exist. There might be a n overflow at the top of the tank, but the manual says damage will occur should you fill the tank with a hose that full.
Hopefully I have't damaged the valve in the process. Shark valves are a great item to have in the spares box. Quick, permanent,
Hi Aktraveler,

On trailers with the 4 way Anderson Valve, there are overflow lines coming out of the fresh tank to prevent overfill damage. On the older gravity fill, the water backs up at the hose. You might want to take a look at some of our owner-written user guides that fill in some of the blanks on how things work.

SparkyD

I too am having this same issue, fresh water tank filling up when on city water. At first it was very slowly, weeks would go by and I'd notice the level creeping up. Now, it went from empty to full in about 24 hours, and water was coming out of the overflow lines by the front steps.

Should I start with troubleshooting the Anderson 4 way valve/replacing the cartridge, or buying a check valve for the pump/replace the pump? Seems like it is 50/50 for what works for people with this issue. Any thoughts?

danemayer

I too am having this same issue, fresh water tank filling up when on city water. At first it was very slowly, weeks would go by and I'd notice the level creeping up. Now, it went from empty to full in about 24 hours, and water was coming out of the overflow lines by the front steps.

Should I start with troubleshooting the Anderson 4 way valve/replacing the cartridge, or buying a check valve for the pump/replace the pump? Seems like it is 50/50 for what works for people with this issue. Any thoughts?
Hi SparkyD,

If you disconnect the line on the back of the Anderson Valve that goes to the fresh tank, you'll be able to tell if water is leaking out of the valve.
Anderson Valve Connections annotated 1.jpg

SparkyD

Thanks Guys! I am towing to Nashville tomorrow morning. Once I get setup again, I will see if the valve is leaking, or if I need to look further at the pump.

leaddog

I also had problems with my fresh water tank filling while on City water. After repeated calls to Heartland and their sending my two new Anderson valves I determined that the fault was not in the valve. It works as designed. There is a direct connection through the valve between the fresh water tank and the pump while in the City position. I was able to trace the problem to the backflow preventer built in to the pump. Heartland send me a new pump which cured the problem.
The reason for this post is the both my dealer and Heartland were convinced that the Anderson valve was faulty. Highly recommend if you have this problem check the pump before replacing the Anderson valve.

mlpeloquin

When turning your Anderson valve, if it starts to feel tight, take it apart and grease it with plumbers grease. You can purchase plumbers grease at a hardware store. Doing this will save the "o"rings. It is another thing that is handy to have in your rigs tool box.

Slimfast

Hey guys have a few questions for you if any one can answer them. But first let me start off my saying I have a 2015 Elkridge 35tsrl. Now with my city water connected I have recently seen water leaking from my fresh water low point drain. A. Can any one direct to the correct location where the pumps at on my unit before I go digging around and B. I have not seen any valves is it possible that my pump on uses a check valve and that's what damaged . Would like to thank any advice in advance.

danemayer

Hey guys have a few questions for you if any one can answer them. But first let me start off my saying I have a 2015 Elkridge 35tsrl. Now with my city water connected I have recently seen water leaking from my fresh water low point drain. A. Can any one direct to the correct location where the pumps at on my unit before I go digging around and B. I have not seen any valves is it possible that my pump on uses a check valve and that's what damaged . Would like to thank any advice in advance.

All water pumps will have some type of backflow prevention or check valve to keep city water from flowing backward through the pump, into the fresh tank.

By low point drain, I'm assuming you mean the tank overflow outlets. The drain has a valve. The overflow(s) do not.

Hopefully someone with a 2015 Elkridge 35tsrl can help you on how to access the pump.

Slimfast

All water pumps will have some type of backflow prevention or check valve to keep city water from flowing backward through the pump, into the fresh tank.

By low point drain, I'm assuming you mean the tank overflow outlets. The drain has a valve. The overflow(s) do not.

Hopefully someone with a 2015 Elkridge 35tsrl can help you on how to access the pump.

Thanks for the reply. But I do mean a low point drain. It does have a valve on the line. Didn't even know I had the fresh water drain point until i seen a good bit of water under my trailer and as i was investigating I noticed a third drain with a shut off. I'm assuming when I purchased the unit new they left it open and I have never used the fresh water tank. But while the city water was connected it had a slow flow coming from the line and when I shut the water off it came to a stop within a few moments.

danemayer

Thanks for the reply. But I do mean a low point drain. It does have a valve on the line. Didn't even know I had the fresh water drain point until i seen a good bit of water under my trailer and as i was investigating I noticed a third drain with a shut off. I'm assuming when I purchased the unit new they left it open and I have never used the fresh water tank. But while the city water was connected it had a slow flow coming from the line and when I shut the water off it came to a stop within a few moments.

Sounds like you do have water flowing backward through the pump. The only other possibility is a leak at the 4-way Anderson Valve - if you have that. It's more likely you have a gravity feed inlet to fill the fresh tank.

You'll want to get this fixed, and in the meantime, it might be a good idea to open that drain valve so you don't overfill the fresh tank.

Take a look at the Fresh Tank Fills by Itself user guide. It's got info on how to fix the problem, but you'll still need help on locating the pump. You might call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready. They may be able to tell you how to get to the pump.

Slimfast

Sounds like you do have water flowing backward through the pump. The only other possibility is a leak at the 4-way Anderson Valve - if you have that. It's more likely you have a gravity feed inlet to fill the fresh tank.

You'll want to get this fixed, and in the meantime, it might be a good idea to open that drain valve so you don't overfill the fresh tank.

Take a look at the Fresh Tank Fills by Itself user guide. It's got info on how to fix the problem, but you'll still need help on locating the pump. You might call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready. They may be able to tell you how to get to the pump.

Yeah that's what I was thinking. Thanks for the additional info. I know today I cycled the pump a few times to see if it would reset the check valve, if that's even possible. Thanks for the info

esscobra

so about 6 trips ago had the fresh tank fill while on city- disconnected an changed over to tank -used water to get level down- had read about valve an or pump issue- next day switched back to city an used for next 2 days with no overflow- thought Anderson valve ok- maybe just wasn't seated/sealed al the way and that since have not had issues since it was okay- but since we were in for several days of temps in low 20's - better be safe and add the pink juice ( had already used air to blow lines out 2weeks ago- normally that's all i do as hasn't gotten to 20s here in south texas in long time, and rarely get freezing temps more than 1 night ) in winterize position pump wasn't able to suck af up from bucket next to udc in cargo bay- priming helped but would not keep a solid flow to fill lines - rotating and valve slightly helped / hurt- pretty sure ive got bad valve /O-rings- disconnected pump suction from back off Anderson- stuck into bucket an AF flowed no issues to all faucets- so going to call heartland and get parts sent as well as order repair kit and spare valve assembly from Anderson- as I have found if you have a spare part , critical things like this valve don't fail at times when you need them most- fortunately i already pulled stuff from basement an pulled wall to get to fridge water cutoff- which on 2017 bighorn 3760el built in jan-feb of this year, and has fridge in slideout- waterline cutoff for fridge is just above floor under kitchen sink in island.