Front landing gear not working

sjs731

I just picked up my 2012 Sundance 3300CK and when I ran my landing gear up at the dealer I went until it stopped. Without knowing, that blew the fuse in the wire that keeps the motor and gears from being damaged so when I got home at 11 pm I stood around in my driveway not knowing why the landing legs wouldn't come down. I got to try out the manual crank. Worked fine and the next day the dealer let me know that quite a few customers have done this. My remedy was drawing a line on the legs about an inch short of all the way up.

MitchG36

I'm having a similar problem in my 2008 Big Country. The legs will retract but nothing happens when I try to extend them. I can not find any in-line fuse. Does anyone know where this fuse is in my coach? 2008 34RBK. So frustrated.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I'm having a similar problem in my 2008 Big Country. The legs will retract but nothing happens when I try to extend them. I can not find any in-line fuse. Does anyone know where this fuse is in my coach? 2008 34RBK. So frustrated.

Mitch, this sounds like it might be a switch problem. If they retract but don't extend, do you hear the motor running when trying to extend the legs?
You might take a look at the back side of the switch for a loose wire connection.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member

The "in-line" fuse in the electric jack system is an urban legend. It does not exist. I removed my OEM electric jacks when I installed the Ground Control jacks, and no fuse was found.

wdk450

I am thinking about installing some sort of a microswitch that will shut the power down or ring a bell when I reach the end.

This is a good idea. The problem for the landing gear circuit is that the microswitch would need contacts rated at 50 amps or more. What you need to do is have the microswitch running a high current relay that runs the legs motor.

I know that the high current hydraulic slides have low current switches operating a high current relay.

Last edited:

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
The "in-line" fuse in the electric jack system is an urban legend. It does not exist. I removed my OEM electric jacks when I installed the Ground Control jacks, and no fuse was found.

I definitely had an "in-line" switch in my 2009 Sundance electric jacks circuit. It was inside a small rubber "box" abouch the size of a match book. Perhaps it is on the Sundance and Elk Ridge, but not the earlier Big Horns. But if the jacks will retract that is definitely not the problem. I also had a problem with the legs retratcting on the Sundance and it was due to a bad connection on the back side of the switch.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
This might help you with installing a limit switch. I recalled seeing this some time ago.

MitchG36

Ray, thanks for the reply. I do NOT hear the motor when I try to extend. I found a reset (of sorts) in the battery compartment on the back of the metal strip that has a few of the red wires mounted to it (kind of like a house bus bar in the breaker panel). Anyhow, I pushed that tiny little button back in and it worked then tripped again. This is when I noticed I had forgotten to release the stabilizer bars, so it was under an increased load. Now it won't reset. I wonder if that "breaker" is now bad. All of the wires on the back of the switch are making a solid connection. Had to use a ratchet and modified socket to lower the jacks,... (the drill battery was dead) what a workout. Surely the factory guys should have something to say about this.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
You might want to follow the pink wire from the switch and look for an inline fuse. My last rig had both the breaker and inline fuse.

Peace
Dave

FordMan1966

i have broke that cog off 2 times on the current Montana once under warranty and one time that cost $401.00 to repair. Don't really think this will happen on the new hydraulic system that is on the 2013 Landmark Grand Canyon that I have ordered.

GOTTOYS

My B.C. has an inline fuse for the front legs. It is located in a black rummer covered inline fuse holder attachec to a heavier pink wire, right behind the battery in the front curbside compartment....Don

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Ray, thanks for the reply. I do NOT hear the motor when I try to extend. I found a reset (of sorts) in the battery compartment on the back of the metal strip that has a few of the red wires mounted to it (kind of like a house bus bar in the breaker panel). Anyhow, I pushed that tiny little button back in and it worked then tripped again. This is when I noticed I had forgotten to release the stabilizer bars, so it was under an increased load. Now it won't reset. I wonder if that "breaker" is now bad. All of the wires on the back of the switch are making a solid connection. Had to use a ratchet and modified socket to lower the jacks,... (the drill battery was dead) what a workout. Surely the factory guys should have something to say about this.
LOL, yeah, it helps to loosen the stabilizers for sure:eek:. Since you said it worked after resetting that breaker, it may just be a bad breaker. I've never replaced one so I'm not sure where to find them other than maybe a NAPA store or RV dealer.
Usually the factory guys won't respond if our forum guys are on the right track. Have you tried to reset the breaker after a brief waiting period? If it got very hot, it may take a few minutes for it to reset. It seems like you're on the right track. Don't forget to disconnect the battery if you do replace the breaker.

Ok, here is my gear problem. Started to drop the gear, but hit retract instead, a little chucking sound, and then hit extend and the motor turn as does the connecting shaft but no gear coming down. Could the gears be stripped or did I just over retract and have some treads come disconnected.
Thanks for any advice
Steve
3/5/2008 BC 2950RK

57chevyconvt

Log onto Lippert's website and download the .pdf file for the Venture gear box. Sounds like you may have stripped a gear or sheared a gear drive pin in the gear box on the out put shaft to the landing gear. If the shaft is turning then the reduction gear box connected directly off of the 12 volt motor should be okay. I rather think it is the Venture 3:1 reduction gear box. If the Venture gear box is made from plastic, you need to upgrade to the newer aluminum housing gear box. Don't by the Venture replacement gear box, it is to expensive. Go on the internet to Domar to purchase a new box. The cost of a new gear box is around $30.00 + and is very easy to change out. Hopefully Bill Knight will look at this post so that he can give you more info on the subject. Bill lives in your state.

I took the caps off the gear legs and the pinion gears are turning on both legs, however they are not meshing with the gears on the screws that run the gear up and down. Also the motor and 3:1 gear box are loose, not sure if they are suppose to be attached firmly to the leg or not.
Steve
BC 2950RK

57chevyconvt

Steve,
The 3:1 gear box is not secured to the leg. There are two raised areas on the gear box that keeps the gear box from rotating on the landing gear leg. If you will down load the detail drawing of the top works of the land gear leg from the Lippert website, you will see that there is a centering plate pt. no. 905-10 and thrust channel pt. no. 906-10 that holds the jack screw and bevel gear no. 910-00 in the center of the outer tube. Since neither leg will go up or down, the drive pin no. 920-00 may have sheared. The drive pins are made from 'drill rod' 0.218" O.D. x 0,811" in length. Your observation of the two bevel gears not meshing has me puzzled. For your edification, there are a number of post on this subject that have included pictures and fixes to Venture landing gear legs. BTW - Lippert/Venture and Domar landing gear legs will not interchange, only the 3:1 ratio gear box. Lippert sells a landing gear wear parts replacement kit for rebuilding the landing gear. In my opinion it is overpriced for the amount of parts included in the kit, but now-a-days, what is not overpriced.

traveler44

I had a problem with the wire being loose on the middle spade connector on the switch. This caused the switch to work about half the time. I thought I would mention that because I thought I had a fuse problem at times too until I found the loose connection.