Front Landing Jack not extending, but will retract.

goldenbetty

goldenbetty
Front jack won't extend. The motor vibrates and makes a popping sound. We used the manual backup and pressed the button simultaneously and it worked. After we got home, it extended and retracted easily. This morning, it is making the same sound and won't extend. Gear problem, motor problem, your thoughts? Thanks.

marvmarcy

By the wording of your post, I presume it isn't hydraulic. If it is gear driven, I suspect it just needs lubrication. Your rig is 7 years old and the grease may have dried out and gotten dirty.

gwalter

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
I removed the cap on the top of each leg and put grease on the gears there. Mine was dragging so much it was blowing the fuse. This solved my problem.

goldenbetty

goldenbetty
What type of grease do you use? When you say the "leg", you mean the top of the landing jack inside the front bay?

goldenbetty

goldenbetty
Thanks, Gregg. We will try that tomorrow. Hope that does the trick. Hope the gear box isn't going bad. It works well going down, bumps and knocks and won't rotate going up. About how much did you use? No grease fitting on the leg? Did you get in the bay to do this?

gwalter

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
There is a screw or two holding the cap on. I just worked the grease on top of the gears and ran them about half way around and added grease again. Then ran them up and down to work the grease into the gears. Yes, I just accessed them through the front storage door.

goldenbetty

goldenbetty
One more thing. When we try to extend, the motor knocks and jumps around. Did yours? We appreciate your advice and responses, Gregg. I'll let you know how it goes.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Betty, the top caps on your style landing gear legs will just pop off.
One more thing to check. There is a horizontal bar that connect the two legs.
There is a nut and bolt that hold that bar in place on each end. Check to be sure that the nut has not come off allowing the bolt to back out and cause binding.
And it is normal for your style of motor to move around some while in use.
Another thing worth mentioning is that on the gear box of the motor there are little tabs that limit the movement. Sometimes they break off.

Peace
Dave

mobilcastle

I drilled a hole in the outer casings and oil the bolt thread. The jack nut rust and problems start
You have to keep it lubed. Good luck.

goldenbetty

goldenbetty
Steve, Thanks for the reply. Could you please clarify your statement. We aren't very mechanically inclined, so please explain what you mean. Thanks for your patience and help.

mobilcastle

Steve, Thanks for the reply. Could you please clarify your statement. We aren't very mechanically inclined, so please explain what you mean. Thanks for your patience and help.
I am going to measure how far down from the top of the jack I drilled my hole and I will post it. It is a simple thing to do. You drill a hole through the outer casing of the jack leg toward the top of the unit big enough to squirt oil on the the large threaded rod( I use a simple oil can with a spout to oil it-pump style). You can see the threaded rod after you drill through. The oil will work its way down to a large jack nut the threaded rod runs through-this is the area that rust and binds up. When I drilled it I put some blue gasket sealer material on the drill bit to catch metal filings-you could use grease or anything similar.
http://www.venturemfgco.com/admin/uploadfiles/image/file/lg-specs.pdf

Attachments

• landing Jack.pdf
    276 KB · Views: 21

mobilcastle

I drilled my hole 5.75 inches from the top of the jack. Good luck. Send me a PM if you still don't follow it.
Steve