front storage surround?

traveler44

Hi. We are thinking about a front storage surround to keep our bicycles out of sight and out of the weather. Anybody got any ideas on the best quality one to buy or build? I am thinking already that if I install snaps I would screw them in behind the front cap because I'm not too eager to drill holes in the plastic cap. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks! Tom

Rickhansen

I have an overhang skirt sold at Camping World and other internet sources. It is alright. It is one that attaches to the lower edge of the front cap with snaps. I have had it for 4 years. Drilling the front cap wasn't difficult and has caused no problems. Most of the snaps have been replaced 1 or 2 at a time, as they have failed. I've had to wash it with bleach a couple times a year, as it is prone to mildew, and it is very near the end of its life. It has now become brittle and is cracking and curling up at the bottom. I will probably replace it in the next year with another one. It is a functional accessory and I can't expect that it last forever, I guess. I can't imagine what you would build for comparable price that would be any more attractive, weather tight, or portable.

ncc1701e

Hi. We are thinking about a front storage surround to keep our bicycles out of sight and out of the weather. Anybody got any ideas on the best quality one to buy or build? I am thinking already that if I install snaps I would screw them in behind the front cap because I'm not too eager to drill holes in the plastic cap. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks! Tom

I am looking at either a skirt for the 5th wheel area or the entire unit. I haven't made a move yet. Here is a link to a source for custom skirting just to give you another option than Camping World. www.rvskirting.com I got a quote from them.

Tom

GOTTOYS

You used to see these these a lot more than you do now. I would just chain them up under the front and put a good bike or motorcycle cover over them. But that's just my opinion. I don't like drilling holes and screwing on snaps that my eventually rust...Don

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
We just use a sturdy bicycle cable and padlock onto the pinbox frame and leave them under the overhang, along with the Weber grill (on a cart). Unless it's a sideways rain, they stay dry.

usnthedog

I had one made locally for my old trailer and I made the second one for my Greystone. I used a plastic tarp. I found a gray one and cut it to size. Sewed the edges and added nylon straps ( sewed and pop rivet) at the bottom to anchor it to the ground. It might sound like it looks cheap but I don't think so. The one on the old trailer was made out of vinyl and cost $400. This one costs about $50. And now I have a pattern if I choose to upgrade. My anchor method was to to sew a flap at the top of the skirt. In the bottom of the overhang I installed screw eyes. There is an angle iron welded to side of the frame for the trailer wall to set on. I drilled and threaded into this on the sides and into the bottom of cap across the front. I put a 3/8" garden stake in the fold and at the eyes cut a notch out of the flap so the stake goes through the eye and then through the flap and then through the eye for the length of the side. It holds the side very solid and very straight. The nylon straps at the bottom are bungied to stakes driven in the ground. I will say that the heavy vinyl handled the wind better but the tarp went though some 25-30 mph wind and survived. When the skirt is off all that is left are the screw eye on the bottom side of the overhang. Barely noticeable (or is it bearly).

Jeff

ChopperBill

We have a Toy Lock that works out great. Cable is long enough that you can go around about anything you have. toylok-security-cable.jpg

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
Anyone know if the have changed the style of Toyloc? I went to show mine off the other day and once I pulled the cable out some, I could not get it to go back in. Ended up pulling the entire length out trying to get it back in.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Dave49

We were just in Gulf Shores State Park in AL and there is a lady that custom builds a very nice skirt. There is a track that she puts up underneath and out of the way. The skirt slides in this track and at the bottom she then sews a hem large enough to put an 1 1/4 pvc pipe in for weight at the bottom. They look like they belong there, very nice. So if you are going to be in the Gulf Shores AL area that will be where I will get mine done. She charges right around $425.00. If interested here is a link to her web site shes just getting under way. The contact info is here:

http://www.canvasgirl.com/2101.html
Dave

aatauses

Concerning toyloc---2psnapod2---when pulling out the cable you should hear some staggered clicking followed by just the cable coming out and then a short sound of clicking again. During the clicking sound is when you should be able to release and the cable will retrack--it will not retrack when you are only pulling cable and no clicking sound.
al

SLJKansas

SLJKansas
Instead of snaps why not use heavy duty Velcro.
I do like the idea of the track for it to side into. My Wife with my help could make the skirting easy enough, just need to find the right track. I think the track that the awning slides into would work. Hmmmm, maybe a winter project. We already made our own sun screen, this would be on the same order. I already have the fabric from a gazebo side walls.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
Concerning toyloc---2psnapod2---when pulling out the cable you should hear some staggered clicking followed by just the cable coming out and then a short sound of clicking again. During the clicking sound is when you should be able to release and the cable will retrack--it will not retrack when you are only pulling cable and no clicking sound.
al

Thanks for the info, I must have missed your reply some how and was just looking back and found it. I had my Toyloc replaced by the supplier and the new one is working great. But thanks for the info.