Frost in the freezer when it hasn't been open-

pjaylor

Hi all,

We purchased a new fifth wheel in March 2014 with a Norcold 1210 four door (2 freezer, 2 lower) refrigerator. We went on the road right after we got the fifth wheel. I noticed that one side of the freezer seemed to need defrosting quicker than the other but I thought it was just that we were using one side more.

We came home and turned off the refrigerator for a month. I turned it back on a few days ago in anticipation for our upcoming trip. One side got frost in it although the freezer hadn't been opened. Seems to me that moisture is getting into the freezer somehow. If there's a problem I want to correct it while it's still under warranty.

Thoughts/advice?

Thanks in advance!

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Possible leak in the door seal? I seem to recall a test for home freezers where you close the door on a dollar bill and see how much resistance there is to pulling it out. If it pulls out easily, the seal is not right. There should be some resistance all around the seal area.

Rodbuster

If it is the seal, the dealer can try replacing the seal or he can place shims under the seal. The shims raise the seal just enough to allow for a tight fit when the door is shut.

We had a similar problem and the shims worked fine.

Dick

JCSteiner

I am having the exact issue with the Norcold. The upper left freezer accumualtes frost much faster than the right side. The accumulation is about 1/3 of an inch within four days I have had the 2014 Bighorn back to the dealer at least five times. Norcold says it is normal. This is my 5th RV and I have never had this issue. If the dealer or Norcold refuse to repair it I guess we are literally out in the cold.