Fuel Tank

Owenfamily

Hello TC and KC,

Do you keep the tank full for the most part. Do you drive this daily. My only worry is not having fresh fuel every few weeks. Being that your in Texas do you keep it top off in the winter months so it won't gell.

I have the 52 gal Titian that replaces the OEM tank. I need the bed space so under the truck works great. Have had it for 6 years no problems.

Owenfamily

Hello John,

Being that your up north do you keep yours top off in the winter. Do you drive yours daily as well? How long do you think I can let the fuel sit in the truck. I try to drive this weekly and on the weekends but not as much as I would lke.

Like you, I didn't want to give up space in the bed. So I replaced the 34 gallon OEM tank with a 56 gallon inline Transfer-Flow tank.

Owenfamily

I will use 4wheel in Coppell. They do good work and are priced good. They were the only ones that could fix my air bag that was leaking and did it right the first time.

As far as Transfer Flow installs, we got a quote from this guy a few years ago:

Jon Wickham & Associates
2056 Interstate 45
WilmerTX75172
972-225-9119

He was at the Dallas RV show, took our VIN and then sent an estimate a few days later with different tank options. I know it was over $900 back then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Hello John,

Being that your up north do you keep yours top off in the winter. Do you drive yours daily as well? How long do you think I can let the fuel sit in the truck. I try to drive this weekly and on the weekends but not as much as I would lke.

I don't keep it topped off religiously, but usually wait until it gets to around 1/2 tank. I've been using DieselKleen in it, but have bought a jug of Opti-Blend to give a try. I drive it almost daily (some days I never leave the house or use the wife's smaller vehicle) and it hasn't given me any trouble. During times when I do a lot of short errand trips around town with it, I'll jump on the freeway for a few miles just to stretch it's legs.

Only problem I've had with it is that it's too big to take into an automatic car wash. So I wash it by hand at the Fire Dept. (which I think I might just do on shift tomorrow).

Owenfamily

I guess I should ask everyone about this as well. How long do you keep fuel in your tank that is under the truck or in the bed of your turck. I know that this is not a big deal in the summer time but in the winter I hear you need to keep it top off. Now I could be wrong on this. I have just heard of this. I don't think I will ever understand how long you can keep fuel in your tank before it will go bad. The family and I take at least one trip per month and I go more depeanding on what events going on.

Owenfamily

John,

Thank you so much for your help and feedback. Guess I will have them get the parts order and get one installed. I think they they gave me a price of around $1500 but I don't mind paying the price so I can drive more then 3 hours.

I don't keep it topped off religiously, but usually wait until it gets to around 1/2 tank. I've been using DieselKleen in it, but have bought a jug of Opti-Blend to give a try. I drive it almost daily (some days I never leave the house or use the wife's smaller vehicle) and it hasn't given me any trouble. During times when I do a lot of short errand trips around town with it, I'll jump on the freeway for a few miles just to stretch it's legs.

Only problem I've had with it is that it's too big to take into an automatic car wash. So I wash it by hand at the Fire Dept. (which I think I might just do on shift tomorrow).

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I think they also had a 65 gal. version, but I didn't see the need to go to that for how we do things.

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
I think they also had a 65 gal. version, but I didn't see the need to go to that for how we do things.

I am looking at the 67 gallon for my '08 F350. Would be nice to almost double my distance between stops.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sumo

I have a 70 gal tank in the bed and 26 in the main tank of the truck and LOVE everything but fill it up when its empty. OUCH:p LOL

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Either in bed or replacement. They are definitely worth it. At least for ease of travel. I installed a small 37 gallon RDS in bed tank over winter. http://www.rdsaluminum.com/ It is gravity fed that was simple to install and the kit was $70 from Northern Tool. Just taps into filler neck and has a overflow shut off valve. I did not install an in cab switch yet. Just a manual switch comming off the line in the bed. Generally I use the extra fuel as back up. It gives me almost 1000 mile tow range.

scottyb

My Titan is 67 gal but I have never added more than 58 gal to fill it. That's was after running it for a full day at work on E. The truck's fuel gauge shows "E" and the light comes on at around 52 gal. So far, I have never risked running it on E long enough to find out how much of the 67 gal is useable. My last few trucks all seemed to show E with a lot of reserve on their OEM tanks. I rarely added more than 28 gal at fill-up.

Eddhuy

I guess I should ask everyone about this as well. How long do you keep fuel in your tank that is under the truck or in the bed of your turck. I know that this is not a big deal in the summer time but in the winter I hear you need to keep it top off. Now I could be wrong on this. I have just heard of this. I don't think I will ever understand how long you can keep fuel in your tank before it will go bad. The family and I take at least one trip per month and I go more depeanding on what events going on.

If you use it within 6 months you should be fine. The biggest problem in the winter is the condensation of water in the tank if you don't keep it topped off. Not only is the water in the fuel a problem but this can allow algae to grow as well. If I were not going to use the fuel for a while, I'd put in some additives to help keep the varnish and gum away. Good news is that it will last a lot longer than gasoline.

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
I work offshore. So my truck sits 32 days at a time. I never fill the tank or ever worry about that. Letting it sit for a while isnt going to hurt or contaminant the fuel. Been doing this for over 12 years now with several different diesel pickups during that time. There has been a handful of 2 month stents with the pickup sitting and not being touched also.

Maybe if it sits 6 months or a year you might run into a issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 3 HD

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Jwalker,
I agree, the RDS tanks are a fantastic deal for a good quality in bed aluminum tank.
On average it's about half the price of a Titan.
I am looking at both the 37 and the 41 gal. versions.
Either will more than double my stock 34 gal. capacity, without adding a ton of weight.

Regarding the post about the under mount, oversized plastic tank failure, a friend of mine had one crack and fail also. I'm not 100% sure it was a Titan, however. Trace

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2