Full Body Paint vs Decals

Sarge

Partial wraps custom designed are under $2k -

I just figured we could change up the look down the road if the decals needed replacing...

Sarge

caissiel

Why would paint be required on a junk RV. The paint has been the least of my problems. Our previous unit after 15 years was worth the price of a paint job. This 2009 will hardly make it to 15 years. Why worry about the looks.

Sent from my B1-710 using Tapatalk

carl.swoyer

62064ebf96fac978e8e2295b60d24882.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

carl.swoyer

Four and a half years in the Florida sun. I wash and detail. Still looking brand new. Look at the gel coat in other rigs in the same environment.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Bohemian

I have no personal knowledge. However, watching a few RV renovation programs many of the RVs were wrapped, had full body decals applied with custom complex designs or scenes. The company that provided the wraps was proud that they were good for 3-5 years.

RoadJunkie

If you plan to cycle your RV purchase every few years, maybe three, I wouldn't spend the money for FBP. The chances are pretty good that the exterior will be in pretty good shape, with moderate maintenance, and you can then move on to a new rig while taking advantage of updated enhancements. The RV industry can be technically aggressive and can leave your rig technically obsolete and style-dated within a few years. The aesthetic contribution of FBP is a personal, emotional, metric and dependent on your willingness to pull the extra cash from your pocket. Our rig is strolling into it's seventh year and I will probably squeeze the money from my pocket for the FBP on the new rig, regardless of manufacture.

By by the way, is the brand banner on the front cap paint or decal with the FBP option?

Wadosan

Thanks everyone for your replies. I especially appreciate the pictures and comments based on experience. I'm starting to get that FBP is a worthwhile option.

danemayer

Something to consider when negotiating a deal on a new RV - work the pricing first without full body paint. Then negotiate the price of the paint option separately. You may be able to negotiate a deeper discount on the paint option than on the base RV. If you assume a list price of $10,000 and a dealer cost of $5,000 for the paint option, maybe the dealer would take an extra $500 to check off a box on the order form. That would net out to $5,500, or a 45% discount on the paint. If they argue that dealer cost is higher than $5,000, I'd ask them how much additional profit they want for the paint option. Agree with them on the markup and ask them to show me the wholesale detail to support their proposed pricing.

Since you're on the fence about the option, you could communicate that to the dealer and let them know that their choice is whether they want the additional $500 profit for doing nothing.

Worst case, you'll find out that the dealer sales people are better negotiators than you are. Best case, you get a great price on full body paint.

Wadosan

By by the way, is the brand banner on the front cap paint or decal with the FBP option?

Good question and an answer I'd be interested in seeing. The Bighorn Premier Package (which I believe is mandatory) states "Painted Front Cap" as standard (what about the rear cap?) and the option is listed for "Ivory sidewalls with painted chocolate front and rear caps". Reading this, one might assume the brand banner is also painted. And I certainly hope that if FBP is ordered, there are no decals anywhere on the coach.

- - - Updated - - -

Something to consider when negotiating a deal on a new RV - work the pricing first without full body paint. Then negotiate the price of the paint option separately. You may be able to negotiate a deeper discount on the paint option than on the base RV. If you assume a list price of $10,000 and a dealer cost of $5,000 for the paint option, maybe the dealer would take an extra $500 to check off a box on the order form. That would net out to $5,500, or a 45% discount on the paint. If they argue that dealer cost is higher than $5,000, I'd ask them how much additional profit they want for the paint option. Agree with them on the markup and ask them to show me the wholesale detail to support their proposed pricing.

Since you're on the fence about the option, you could communicate that to the dealer and let them know that their choice is whether they want the additional $500 profit for doing nothing.

Worst case, you'll find out that the dealer sales people are better negotiators than you are. Best case, you get a great price on full body paint.

Thanks. Great advice.

T

TomMontague

All great questions - maybe I can shed some light on the subject.

Moving forward the standard is now Oyster sidewalls with painted oyster front & back caps. The Ivory sidewalls and chocolate caps are gone. Oyster is just a little less yellow. White sidewalls with painted white front & rear caps is an option.

The full body paint packages are now:

Black & Red ( more like burgundy )
Black & Tan

Full Body paint units do come with decals on the front & sidewalls. The decals on the front cap are the expensive, raised automotive style which give the coach a higher end look in my opinion because they add dimension and aren't just flat vinyl like the sidewalls... In the past we had one package with painted logo's and one with decals. We haven't seen an uptick in warranty claims in either direction.

Hope this helps.
Talk soon.
Tom

Thanks. Great advice.[/QUOTE]

Wadosan

Full Body paint units do come with decals on the front & sidewalls. The decals on the front cap are the expensive, raised automotive style which give the coach a higher end look in my opinion because they add dimension and aren't just flat vinyl like the sidewalls... In the past we had one package with painted logo's and one with decals. We haven't seen an uptick in warranty claims in either direction.

Tom, thanks for providing info. In the above information, is this a change from the practice Heartland has done in the past? E.g., the fact that the FBP now uses decals?

Oregon_Camper

Moving forward the standard is now Oyster sidewalls with painted oyster front & back caps. The Ivory sidewalls and chocolate caps are gone. Oyster is just a little less yellow. White sidewalls with painted white front & rear caps is an option.

Black & Tan

Can you post a picture of each of these or a link to each one?

Wadosan

Tom, thanks for providing info. In the above information, is this a change from the practice Heartland has done in the past? E.g., the fact that the FBP now uses decals?

I think I just realized you're referring to the logo's only. I'll catch up. :eek:

T

TomMontague

No this is not a change in our business practice. In the past the Cappuccino had graphics on the front & sidewalls. The Sterling package had just Bighorn painted on the front cap with no logo underneath. The sidewalls were vinyl on both Cappuccino & Sterling. The number on selling paint package was Cappuccino with the decal logos.

Instead of one being paint & one being decals they are both now decals.

Talk soon,
Tom

RoadJunkie

Full Body paint units do come with decals on the front & sidewalls. The decals on the front cap are the expensive, raised automotive style which give the coach a higher end look in my opinion because they add dimension and aren't just flat vinyl like the sidewalls

Is this your process for all, brand-wide, FBP; including Landmark?

Wadosan

Black & Tan

Tom I just re-read your original post and noticed something. You're only calling out two colors. It appears past FBP colors were four (Cappuccino: Black, burgundy, tan & white Sterling: Gray, black, burgundy & white) . Is this a change? Or are you only calling out the primary colors for each scheme?

T

TomMontague

NO this is just for Bighorn but I believe it's similar with Landmark. I know LM isn't 100% painted on graphics.

I'm trying to load the full body paint pictures but having issues. I will send to Jim and have him post on this thread.

Nuclearcowboy

We received a brochure shot that shows the 2 full body paint combinations available for the newest 2017 Bighorns.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 148