Furnace problem continues

SmokeyBare

Super Great news on the Furnace finally getting Fixed !! Thanks for the tip on the web site. As I said before... with all you have gone through, you are the resident expert on furnace problems !! Lets hope next year brings you a trouble free year.

Marv

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
There is also a thing called RV Handyman club that you can become a member of and they will do the same thing. There is no charge to members as that service is part of the membership fee. I have been a member for several years and have used their service several times. Great service. They also send a monthly newsletter that has tips and tricks also. BTW glad you found the problem.

Toy1Ton

Toy 1 Ton
Yes it's sad to say that once you buy one of these RV's your pretty much on your own these tech go to school and get books and all they do is chew on the covers

geeksrus

Well we finally have an answer as to what was wrong with the furnace. I gave up on all the local RV techs who just wanted to replace parts until they figured out what it was. I stumbled onto a web site called "JustAsk.com" it cost $15 for me to communicate with a tech and so he and I sent messages back and forth until we found it. After I had told him all that had been replaced and or tested he told me to go thru a series of test step by step until we determined that the problem is the gas valve on the furnace. It was pretty simple to find with the tech telling me just what to check and what I should find if it is bad or okay. That is a great web site if any of you really get stumped give it a try, they have techs for RV's, cars, and trucks. This fellow was associated with R&K RV in Paducah, KY and was quite knowledgeable as to what to work on. So, now we have heat and none to soon as the really cold temps are headed our way down here in SW Georgia.:D:D

JustAsk or JustAnswer?

Eh!

CrazyScotsman

I used that Justask.com on a question regarding a wiring harness for my Volvo's stereo, i want to install a Pioneer I have, and don't want to hard wire it.
I got on that web site, paid the money, asked the question, and was told go to Crutchfield.com, Not exactly the answer I was looking for. Bad thing was while I was waiting on the reply from justask, I was already on Crutchfields web site. They couldn't even help me.
I imagine on certain things Justask works, but when it came to my question, they were stumped. Still not found a wiring harness :( So can't listen to my XM or get my Bluetooth through the stereo .

navyAZ1

Well guess what? THE FURNACE HAS QUIT YET AGAIN!!!!!! This time we are not hearing that diffinite "clicking" noise when the igniter is trying to lite the burner. Could this have been the problem all along? Does anyone know can the electrode slowly go bad by working intermitently and then finally just quit working all together? I have tested the circuit board and there is power leaving the coil and going to the igniter electrode, we have checked the adjustment of the electrode and cleaned it and still nothing. HELP!!!!

tmcran

I read in the manual about the "heat sensor" which I assume is like the old thermocoupler on old pilot light units, it did state that this may need to be adjusted to point more into the flame so it senses the heat from the burner. What the furnace is doing is after it lights the first time it burns for quite sometime then it starts this intermitent stuff. When the burner goes out you can hear the burner get louder and then a loud "poof" sound and it cuts off. It then waits a few seconds and re-lights the burner but now the burner only stays lit for 25 to 30 seconds then the loud burn and "poof" again and it repeats the process. I would assume this "heat sensor" is down inside the burn chamber near the igniter. As to changing the gas bottle the furnace has done this on both bottles, but one bottle emptied this weekend so I'm going to take it and have it filled and give it a test.

My greatest frustration is not being able to find an RV tech who seems to understand these furnace problems, everyone I have talked with doesn't seem to know much more than I do. I'm pretty handy but I really don't like working on stuff that I don't fully understand how all the systems are suppose to work. However, if all they are going to do is replace parts until they stumble onto the problem (if ever) well as I said before I can do that.

Today I plan as I said change the gas bottle, change the regulator, purge the lines from the bottles to the regulator, and then remove the furnace once again and go in thru the access panel to the igniter and check out the position of the "heat sensor". I'll let y'all know what happens, thanks for all of your suggestions.:(

Ron

Had same problem last summer. Took to tech. He told me he would bet it was mud dubbers. He had to remove the unit and sure enough it was mud dubbers. Now in the area I live in there are a lot of dubbers in the summer and he sees this alot. I would not thinkk in the winter this would be a problem. Good luck --

navyAZ1

Well this is really getting frustrating:mad:! Monday I took the furnace to a RV tech who was highly reccommended by some local folks it was a 2 hour drive to this guy. He inspected the furnace and stated that the 2nd tech who worked on the furnace that supposedly took it apart and cleaned and adjusted everything damaged the burner assembly which some how affected the gas flow (sometimes good sometimes bad). He showed me where the previous tech had damaged it by using the wrong tool which caused the damage mostly to the orfice. So, this new guy orders a new burner assembly from Suburban says it should be here Thursday and I will have heat that evening. HA, my friends (who I really have lost a lot of respect for) at Suburban sat on this order and didn't ship it until Thursday. When asked why they delayed the shipment they had no reason just laughed and said tell your customer to by some electric heaters. If you have been keeping up with my furnace saga you'll know that I have already had a bad experience with Suburban earlier in this mess with them showing little concern in assisting with troubleshooting. I think it is time for a "nasty gram" to be sent to Suburban from me. This furnace "joke" has been going on since October 2009 and I'm on my 4th RV tech, I am so worried this will be like the other attempts to fix it that I'll get the furnace back here reinstall it and it will work for just a short time and quit again. Maybe I need to let God know that my name isn't Job!!! Oh well, I'll let y'all know first of next week just what has happened. Temps are going into the mid teens tonight and tomorrow night I sure hope the electric heaters keep it warm enough.:(

caissiel

wow, I had a furnace for 15 years on my precious trailer with no problems. And here in the north it was used a lot in the cold.

navyAZ1

We Have Ignition!!!

:D WOOOOOO HOOOOOO, We have a working furnace!!! I finally got the furnace back yesterday and got it installed it worked and ran normal all night and is still heating this morning. Many thanks to my friends at Travel Country RV in Lake Park, GA they were great knew what they were doing and got it fixed. However, this was all done with little or no help from Suburban, first they didn't ship the parts until a full week after they received the order than they failed to send all the parts which delayed the repair another day. But we are up and running now:D.

Nobody knows what the original problem was due to the 2nd tech who worked on the furnace screwed it up during re-assembly which is what caused all the problems since until my friends at Travel Country RV who has an excellent tech were able to find the problem and repair it. All I can say is pray you never have to deal with Suburban for parts these folks have the worst system for getting parts out that I have ever seen. You would think that a company that has been supplying the RV industry since back in the 1950's would have some idea as to how to run a warehouse efficently.

Oh Well, we're fixed and now I'm happy.;)