Furnace smell

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I wonder if by the original furnace overheating it sent enough hot metallic smell/substance into the duct and that is what you're smelling.

Rex, this may be the correct answer. Almost like cigarette smoke that clings to things, I think the same thing happened with this odor. It would smell worse when the ducts were heated longer, much like our used car that may have been smoked in, even after it's been cleaned and years later, when it gets hot it sometimes emits a "smoky smell."

Anyway, we replaced the 3 silver ducts with an insulated duct. The insulated duct is much harder to work with in the limited space, but we made it work.

Testing initially smelled the same, but also had a "new ductwork" smell. So we ran it for a good while, and the smell got better and better, as opposed to worse!

bb72c58f8f9d819e7f47698170bcd9c0.jpg

79f9a4311e80261bbaa43eb98a2cab2b.jpg

2ba97767dd25180b1c2a6c28c007e57c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TravelTiger

Boy, that looks like a joy to install.

50e94353e3b9c1e9359c96722b204a1e.jpg

This is what it's made of. The duct core is 4", which is attached with the same clamp as before. We then used HVAC foil tape to seal the outer wrap around the connections. It's really too big and bulky for the space -- the insulation is probably overkill (R6) -- but it's all I could find on short notice locally (Home Depot).

There is definitely more air coming out the bed, bath and hall vents (using the new ducts)!

TravelTiger

Another follow up to this story, the furnace has been working great, and the offensive smell is all but gone. We recently moved to go visit family for Christmas, and I noticed a little more smell the first time the furnace ran. But overnight the furnace ran a lot as the temps got below freezing, and I did not smell anything unusual. Yay! I believe we are fixed up!

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Cool! Still wondering what it was that you were smelling.

TravelTiger

Cool! Still wondering what it was that you were smelling.

John, I reached out to the service person I was talking to at Suburban to inquire what they found when my old furnace was returned, but I have not heard back.