Furnace warm not hot

TXTiger

I finally broke down and turned on my furnace to get a little heat in my rig this morning and take the chill out of the air. I heard the fan come on and then felt some warm air coming out of the vents. The air was only warm not hot. I checked the propane at the stove and the range top lit up. I went outside and checked the propane bottle. It was 1/3 full. Hot air was coming out of the external exhaust for the furnace but the inside vents had only warm air. I am going to fill my propane bottle later today. Could the fact that it was only 1/3 full impac the performance of my furnace?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
If there is hot air coming out of the vent then I would think that your furnace is working properly.
One thing to consider is that the air that comes out of the heat vents is not usually hot but mostly warm.
The bathrooms always seem to be the hottest. How is your heat there?

Peace
Dave

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Tony, the further away from the actual furnace, the "less warm" the air might feel. Our bedroom duct, furthest from the furnace, seems to have the "least warm" air from the furnace, and not very forceful. I know some folks in toyhaulers have also found the duct runs are sometimes pinched or longer than needed, making the airflow inadequate. I'm not sure how they were resolved, exactly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Shouldn't matter if your tank is only 1/3 full . . . should still heat!

We just had ours fixed at the dealership . . .

We were getting blasting hot air upstairs in the bedroom and bathroom (so hot you couldn't hold your hand over it more than a couple of seconds it was so hot) . . . and barely anything out of the kitchen and living vents.

Turns out that the ducts were crimped to the kitchen/living room (at least that is what they said) . . . now we get even air coming out of all four vents.

The heat coming out is nowhere as hot as it was upstairs, but it does warm up the trailer in a few minutes.

Now, I don't get that 'mess up your hair' hot blast out of the upstairs vents.

I am going to replace all four vent covers with the ones that can be closed off so we can direct the heat where we want it.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Shouldn't matter if your tank is only 1/3 full . . . should still heat!

We just had ours fixed at the dealership . . .

We were getting blasting hot air upstairs in the bedroom and bathroom (so hot you couldn't hold your hand over it more than a couple of seconds it was so hot) . . . and barely anything out of the kitchen and living vents.

Turns out that the ducts were crimped to the kitchen/living room (at least that is what they said) . . . now we get even air coming out of all four vents.

The heat coming out is nowhere as hot as it was upstairs, but it does warm up the trailer in a few minutes.

Now, I don't get that 'mess up your hair' hot blast out of the upstairs vents.

I am going to replace all four vent covers with the ones that can be closed off so we can direct the heat where we want it.

Be careful about closing off vents as you could cause the furnace to overheat activating the thermal cutoff.

JohnD

Be careful about closing off vents as you could cause the furnace to overheat activating the thermal cutoff.

We would probably only half close the two upstairs and leave the other two wide open.

Plus, we would like to close them completely in the summer so that dirt, dust and meow mix pieces don't fall down there.

We typically travel with three of our six Maine Coones.

CampinKitties-P9020527.jpg Romeow-P7310234.jpg SierraInSlippers-P2260312.jpg Campout2012SpicyChecksEmail-PC260023.jpg ProwlerBlueMesaRusty-P1000438.jpg

avvidclif

Tony, the further away from the actual furnace, the "less warm" the air might feel. Our bedroom duct, furthest from the furnace, seems to have the "least warm" air from the furnace, and not very forceful. I know some folks in toyhaulers have also found the duct runs are sometimes pinched or longer than needed, making the airflow inadequate. I'm not sure how they were resolved, exactly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My toyhauler has an 18' garage (basically all garage, kitchen, bathroom, and bedroom) It has 2 ducts at the front. I use an oscillating fan to move the heat around in that cavern and haven't had any problems, yet anyway. Haven't been out below freezing either.

As a side note for Tony. One of my grandson's made the All Region Symphonic Band (Middle School). Dr Gary Garner was the guest conductor, very impressive performance, on less than 2 days practice.

TXTiger

I have had my rig for 4 years now and the heat has worked in the past so I know its not a vent problem. I haven't used the heat in awhile. I just filled my propane tank so I will see how it goes tonight. If I still have a problem I will look at the outside vents to make sure no bee/wasps/ants etc have built a nest in there. There was a lot of warm/hot air coming out of the outside vents so I think they are working ok??

JohnD

I'm amazed at how much heat blows out of the furnace exhaust on the outside of the trailer.

Seems like more heat is blowing out than what we are getting inside!

I wish there was some way to harness some of that heat back in to the trailer.