Furnace

G-Niko

Open Port on my Dometic DFM30111 Furnace is blasting heat behind cabinets. Can I cover it?​

Last edited:

hoefler

Yes, see if the cover plate is laying near the port. I had all the block outs laying on the floor in ours when we received it, I reinstalled them and put silicone on them to keep them from falling out.

G-Niko

No covers near and the one that is missing is next to the wall like 1 inch away I will try and make a cover or maybe see if I can find the cover online someplace

Attachments

• 20230419_190041.jpg
    20230419_190041.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 42
  • 20230419_190100.jpg
    20230419_190100.jpg
    687 KB · Views: 40
  • 20230419_190415.jpg
    20230419_190415.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 37

G-Niko

The hose you see in front is disconnected to view through to the inside that the port on the left side knockout is missing ( the one that is against the cabinet wall)

Last edited:

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
When I discovered a plug missing from my furnace I found that it had worked its way under the furnace. Be sure to look everywhere.

Peace
Dave

G-Niko

So I made a carboard template then transferred to some galvanized metal and since I didn't have the room (clearance) to install it from the outside . I made a small handle mounted it to the backside and installed it from inside

Attachments

• 20230420_093909.jpg
    20230420_093909.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 24
  • 20230420_104908.jpg
    20230420_104908.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 21
  • 20230420_111918.jpg
    20230420_111918.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 26
  • 20230420_112404.jpg
    20230420_112404.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 25
  • 20230420_112537.jpg
    20230420_112537.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 32

david-steph2018

Question: with an enclosed, heated underbelly, is there another source for the heat to get out into the underbelly? This is assuming you have an enclosed heated underbelly area.

G-Niko

Question: with an enclosed, heated underbelly, is there another source for the heat to get out into the underbelly? This is assuming you have an enclosed heated underbelly area.
On mine the underbelly is only heated with the propane furnace it uses just a 2 inch duct

centerline

if you were to take mylar FOIL duct sealing tape and tape up all the adaptors and blocker plates so that they dont allow any air to escape thru the cracks, it makes for a 20-30% increase in heating efficieny by the furnace, as will minimize air pressure loss so it is able to blow ALL the heated air out into the living space, and not be overheating the space where the furnace is located .... and its a lot quieter.

Last edited:

centerline

Same on our rig, was just wondering if that opening had been for heating the underbelly area.
no... its not normal for the furnace to be installed in the underbelly, so they will route a 2" duct down in to the area of the tanks....

if the blocker plate isnt installed, you are just blowing heat into a space that is getting many times hotter than the living space of your coach is, when the furnace is running... block it off and put the heat into the living space, where you want it....

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
if you were to take mylar FOIL duct sealing tape and tape up all the adaptors and blocker plates so that they dont allow any air to escape thru the cracks, it makes for a 20-30% increase in heating efficieny by the furnace, as will minimize air pressure loss so it is able to blow ALL the heated air out into the living space, and not just heat the space where the furnace is located .... and its a lot quieter.
Wish I’d have known about this a week ago when I had my basement wall down. Darn!! But I’ll be prepared the next time

david-steph2018

no... its not normal for the furnace to be installed in the underbelly, so they will route a 2" duct down in to the area of the tanks....

if the blocker plate isnt installed, you are just blowing heat into a space that is getting many times hotter than the living space of your coach is, when the furnace is running... block it off and put the heat into the living space, where you want it....
Did not say it was in the underbelly. The question was to make sure not blocking off the heat for the area of water lines, tanks, etc....

centerline

Did not say it was in the underbelly. The question was to make sure not blocking off the heat for the area of water lines, tanks, etc....
you didnt say so, but you alluded to it when you asked if the blocker plate could have been left off to heat the underbelly....
if the furnace WAS in the underbelly, this may have be the case.... otherwise there is no way for the air to get from an open furnace manifold port to anywhere other than the space the heater is mounted in... and its NOT in the underbelly.

we cant read minds, or pretend we know what exactly what a person MEANS, but we can only answer the question in relation to how the question was formulated and asked... :):)