Fuze blowing...

Bob Vaughn

When I raise the legs on the front of my 5th wheel If I an not careful I will blow the fuze if I go too far.....I painted a red stripe on the leg so I would not pass that point but bending over to see it while pressing the switch causes me to be dizzy and light headed. My idea is to put a red indicator light next to the switch and a contact on the leg that will light the light when I reach the top limit of leg travel. I just am not sure just how to accomplish this. The power and light part are easy its what kind of contact do I need to accomplish this.....since Radio Shacks closed I do not know where to get the parts....When my wife operates the raise and retract switch she always get confused about which way she wants to go so I have a box of 30 amp fuzes standing by.....

wdk450

Get yourself one of those convex stick-on mirrors at the auto parts store and stick it on to a wooden or tubing handle. This will allow you to see your landing gear red lines. This will also come in handy to check out your tires and suspension components before departing, too.

Bringing your landing gear up so far that the telescoping leg pins catch on the fiberglass or frame is detrimental to the landing gear gearing system even if the fuse eventually blows. You will be prematurely replacing landing gear gearing components if you don't stop this.

Ideally, there would be microswitches wired to a power relay that would limit up-down movement of the leg screws. I remember such a mechanism in an electrically powered IV pole (for precise height of the IV bag for eye surgery) that I used to service. Domar, who makes an identical 5th wheel landing gear system to the Venture brand used by Heartland, has an acme screw operated satellite dish aimer that they also make, and this aimer mechanism has limiter microswitches.