Gallup NM to Bryce Canyon UT

Lynn1130

That is a lot of two lane, Rez driving. While it might be an interesting drive, it won't be fast and don't be driving at night on the Rez. Too many animals on the roads. If you get behind some of the very slow traffic on the reservation it can be miles of no way to get around them.

If you are trying to get there in a timeline I-40 to Flagstaff and then north to Page is a faster route, even though the trip from Flag to Page does have some areas of two lane. From there it is going to be two lane. This time of year is not too bad but it does become heavy traffic as summer get closer.

cgaskins

That is a lot of two lane, Rez driving. While it might be an interesting drive, it won't be fast and don't be driving at night on the Rez. Too many animals on the roads. If you get behind some of the very slow traffic on the reservation it can be miles of no way to get around them.

If you are trying to get there in a timeline I-40 to Flagstaff and then north to Page is a faster route, even though the trip from Flag to Page does have some areas of two lane. From there it is going to be two lane. This time of year is not too bad but it does become heavy traffic as summer get closer.

Great advice - thank you. I appreciate it.

-Chris

MTPockets

Google shows the I-40 27 minutes slower... I would take the short route, and have been on most of that route before. All daytime, and much more enjoyable than interstate routes.

Lynn1130

I would take the short route, and have been on most of that route before.

Keep in mind with that route most of those two lane roads have no shoulder to pull off on and while I agree, it is more interesting and there is more to see you do take the chance of being in the middle of no-where and there is little to no cell coverage on the Navajo Reservation. The 27 minutes that you save could end up being hours of sitting and waiting. I traveled much of that area either driving to Lake Powell or for my job when I was doing training up there.

In a car or truck, I would not hesitate to make that trip on your route. Pulling a 5th wheel, I would give it some very serious thought.

RoadJunkie

I too have considered the shortcut through the "res", it's tempting, I know. While you would likely be fine taking that route I decided it was too desolate for my liking. Another interesting route is to go up to Jacob's lake and stay at the state campground while visiting the North rim of the Grand Canyon. Then off to Kanab and onto Bryce.

cgaskins

Thanks all. I am going to take the I-40 to US-89 route. I truly appreciate the advice and ability to "bounce" this off of everyone. :)

-Chris