Garage A/C Freezes up due to happy jack bed raised.

JW4250

My my toy hauler has 2 beds in the garage that raise up on the electric happy jack system. We never need the upper bed so it stays in the highest position and we store all of our table tops up there in the stock locations made for them. The bed raises so high that the a/c air gets pushed right back into the return vent and it freezes before long. Not only that, but the a/c doesn't get a chance to cool the room.
I'm looking for a curved vent of some type that i can mount that will redirect the air off to the side so it actually gets out into the room and that will also blocks the cold air from entering the return.

Any ideas? Thought about trying to make something but wanted to see if any one else has any suggestions.

Also thought about taking the top bed completely out but then i wouldn't have a place to store my table tops. I also have tried lowering the top bed with the cotter pins but it's a real PITA to have to keep doing that when you have toys etc.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

thx,

jimandjean

Ok, and one other thought. It sounds like you are using the direct AC return vent. Close it. That rear air should be ducted into the same trunk as your other ACs (mid and forward if equipped). That would 'force the air into the room'

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JW4250

Ok, and one other thought. It sounds like you are using the direct AC return vent. Close it. That rear air should be ducted into the same trunk as your other ACs (mid and forward if equipped). That would 'force the air into the room'

Another good suggestion, however, when I close the vent to direct it into the ducts, I might as well just shut the whole thing off because you can't feel hardly any air coming out of the vent that are in the same room or in the living room.

I can, however feel the air from my living room a/c in other rooms so I guess it's just the way the ducts are routed from the garage a/c. Thx again.

jimandjean

Your actually hitting on why i want to rewire my services so i can run mid and fwd AC at same time, and switch mid and rear

JW4250

Your actually hitting on why i want to rewire my services so i can run mid and fwd AC at same time, and switch mid and rear

Yep, next time I go to my property, I'm wiring mine up so I can run all 3 a/cs or whichever ones I want.

- - - Updated - - -

I've found these things but the air path has to cross the intake to get out into the main room so this doesn't solve that issue but it does redirect the air.

https://www.amazon.com/Power-Advantage-Amazing-Vent-Deflector/dp/B00CIY1POQ

https://www.pinterest.com/explore/vent-extender/

LBR

I had removed both upper mattresss from our 2 Happy Jack sets and when run all the way up, I have 8" of room from ceiling (AC ducts) to top bed.

If I personally was confronted with your dilemma, I would try to use 6" diameter 90° PVC white ells and affix them to my round AC ducts. That would be my first attempt to evacuate the air out of the way.

JW4250

I had removed both upper mattresss from our 2 Happy Jack sets and when run all the way up, I have 8" of room from ceiling (AC ducts) to top bed.

If I personally was confronted with your dilemma, I would try to use 6" diameter 90° PVC white ells and affix them to my round AC ducts. That would be my first attempt to evacuate the air out of the way.

I'm running the air out of the main vent on the unit itself. Not on the round duct end because the air flow is very weak out of those vents.

jimandjean

Jw4250 - one more thought on trying to figure the vents. Start by taping off all the front and mid vents. Run the fan on high on your rear AC. Verify you got good flow. If yes, the system is unbalanced but you may be able to compensate. By partially restricting your forward vents in bedroom and mid section. I've used rare earth magnets to adhere 'dampers' to the vents I need to direct less air flow from. Helped me balance out the coach. That may allow you to then go back to closing the main vent and getting the desired result.

Lynn1130

You also can set the top bunk at a lower position to allow more circulation. Just pin it at a lower setting.

I did not read far enough down to see that you tried this. Sorry. I am not sure what toys you might have that prevent it coming down some and I do at times pin it down but then I don't find it that much of a pain to do.

As for table top storage. Mine has a place on the side of the garage wall, with retainer straps for the garage table top, and the dining room is stored and secured on the couch. Don't know if that will help.

Lou_and_Bette

Last edited by a moderator: