Gear Ratio

lwmcguir

We usually consider 5000 miles for a rule of thumb. Change the oil/filter at that time and then drive it as needed. Prior to that we try to avoid excessive slow driving or idling as much as possible.

6.7powerstroke

What's considered a reasonable break in period of these diesels? The book says varied speed and no towing for first 500 miles and then max of 70 mph (yeah, like I would with 65 mph rated trailer tires) for the next 500 miles. I have always thought of a real break in period of 10k miles. Thanks

The book is correct, you are good to go after your 500 mile break in. The truck will tell you when you need to change the oil, there is no recommended or needed early oil change. The computer will measure several different factors in determining the life of your engine oil and telling you when it needs to be changed. You can get anywhere from 3-10K miles out of an oil change, depending on how hard you drive it, how much you idle, how much you tow, etc. I changed to 5w/40 full synthetic at my first oil change. Other than that, follow the severe duty service schedule and you will be good to go.

pegmikef

Thanks folks. Whoever said don't drive it or you'll end bringing it home was right. I love it after only 2 days and feel like a teenager again (I'm 70) with all the power. The only downside is now I'm screwing with my hitch to change the height to account for the new ball height (doncha just love 260 pounds of torque). Thanks again and thanks for all the advice.

6.7powerstroke

Thanks folks. Whoever said don't drive it or you'll end bringing it home was right. I love it after only 2 days and feel like a teenager again (I'm 70) with all the power. The only downside is now I'm screwing with my hitch to change the height to account for the new ball height (doncha just love 260 pounds of torque). Thanks again and thanks for all the advice.

That would be me! Made the same mistake, drove my 01 that I loved into the dealership to "just check out the new trucks". Well, the rest is history. Enjoy!

pegmikef

Help! I'm still learning about this new F250 6.7L. The last time I drove a diesel anything was a deuce and a half in the Army about 40 years ago (and even it was a multifuel). I was surprised to find that there is no oil pressure gauge, but in its place is an engine boost gauge. The book says that it shows the amount of engine manifold air pressure in the engine. My dealer said it should be somewhere around 1.3 to 1.5 on a scale of 1 to 4 (in tens). The book cleverly omits any reference to what a correct value is. I would like to verify the 1.3 to 1.5 value by any of you experienced diesel TV owners. Thanks.

6.7powerstroke

That is turbo boost measurement. I am not sure how it actually is measured, but the value is the amount of boost the turbo is giving the engine, that's it. I have never gotten mine much over 22-23, and that was with the go pedal buried going up Eisenhower pass in Colorado. The amount of boost is going to fluctuate by how much you have your foot in the truck. It really only comes into play when you tune the truck and change the amount of boost the truck can provide. That is when you start having problems.

As for the oil pressure gauge, you are correct, it is omitted in the diesel. However, what most people don't realize is that all of those cheap gauges that all three manufacturers put in these trucks for years are really nothing more than an idiot light. They have a huge range for "normal" and only move when something is way out of whack. Basically the same as an idiot light coming on, so you really aren't losing anything. If you want real gauges, you need to go aftermarket with something like a Banks IQ or Autometer/ISSPRO gauges that truely measure values, not that just move when outside of a wide normal range. I can tell you the truck is fantastic, a blast to drive and pulls like crazy. Good luck!

lwmcguir

The 6.7 is by far the best truck we have ever had. We have purchased something over 40 in the past years and most of them were loaded. The new Super Duty's cant be beat. Best fuel mileage ever in a HD pickup if you are wanting to minimize fill ups as well.

pegmikef

Great Decision as well, you will be impressed with the fuel mileage both during the break in and especially afterwords.

Good luck.

Well, consider me impressed. My wife and I took a road trip in our new 6.7L today from San Angelo to Ft. Hood and back (381 miles) and had an average of 21.5 mpg. For those of you familar with West Texas, there is no interstate here and you do a lot of stop and go driving in all the little towns and smaller cities (its status to have at least a couple of traffic lights in each town). My highway speeds ranged from 60 to 70 with more on the higher end. I don't know what to expect, but considering I'm just breaking it in (559 miles) and my wife's Expedition (5.4L) and my former F150 (4.6L) averaged about 16 to 18 mpg dependent on the weather, I thought it was great. I am really pleased that this thread pushed me into the 6.7L. Thanks all.