Generator for A/C

Genovak

I am curious what brand and model generator you use to power your campers. I am researching for a purchase of my own. I am not sure if I want the "dual" 2000 inverter set up or a larger 2400 or 3000 single unit. I have a 13,500 Ac unit. Looking for your experience's.

Thanks in advance :rolleyes:

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I have been using two 2k in parallel. That gives me 4k of power and it works well.
If we are not running the AC unit and spending the night at a Walmart I only need to fire up one unit. That's when it is not hot.
I do like the 3k Honda but I went with the 2k units for ease of movement if needed. A 3k unit is not portable enough for me.
We all have our reasons for doing whatever we decide to do.

Peace
Dave

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I used a 6 gallon outboard portable tank, used some 1/4 fuel line T'd together and I modified the filler caps on the gennys. Actually I bought new caps and modified them.
No problem running all night.
If I tomorrow I remember I will take a picture or two of the extra tank setup.
You could probably search You Tube and find a conversion.

Peace
Dave

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Here is a You Tube link. [LINK]
Not my set up and I used different fittings but you will get the idea.

Peace
Dave

Casimiro

I have 2-Honda's EU2000i & companion connected in parallel that provides 4K of power. Its more than enough to run 15K A/C unit plus more. I went this direction as oppose to buying a 3500 watts unit because its easier for me to carry the individual units ( approx 47 lbs each). I also have an extra 7 gal auxiliary tank for extended run time. Hooking the gen's up parallel and putting it on economy mode with the auxiliary tank, it can provide me approximately 36 continuous hours of operation. You can also refill the auxiliary tank without interruption.

Happy camping and safe traveling.:)

Genovak

I have 2-Honda's EU2000i & companion connected in parallel that provides 4K of power. Its more than enough to run 15K A/C unit plus more. I went this direction as oppose to buying a 3500 watts unit because its easier for me to carry the individual units ( approx 47 lbs each). I also have an extra 7 gal auxiliary tank for extended run time. Hooking the gen's up parallel and putting it on economy mode with the auxiliary tank, it can provide me approximately 36 continuous hours of operation. You can also refill the auxiliary tank without interruption.

Happy camping and safe traveling.:)

Excellent info, it was just what I was looking for.

Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Great info.

Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you everyone. The information everyone provided was exactly what I was looking for and will go a long way in helping me determine what direction I will go in.

wdk450

You might want to think hard about some security cable to KEEP your generators. I know that ANY security device can be defeated, but it is less likely to disappear from outside your trailer with some security cable locking it down.
Also think about the possible airflow of carbon monoxide fumes into your trailer living space when positioning the generator.

Crumgater

We use our toy-lock cable to secure the handles of the EU2000's to the trailer... so far so good.

Would love to get an extended run tank connected to ours. We get about 10 hours of run time on one tank with one running - on Eco, no A/C, just football tailgate goodies... and yes, our tailgates do go longer than that, for some of those games with late night start times.

Gaffer

I have used both the Honda 3k and parallel 2k's. I prefer the 2k gennys. It takes two people to load and unload the 3k.

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
We use our toy-lock cable to secure the handles of the EU2000's to the trailer... so far so good.

Would love to get an extended run tank connected to ours. We get about 10 hours of run time on one tank with one running - on Eco, no A/C, just football tailgate goodies... and yes, our tailgates do go longer than that, for some of those games with late night start times.

Shoot we start tailgating on Friday and stop Sunday morning. Lol. I do have an external tank for my Hondas.