Generator prep questions

jnbhobe

I agree with Ken & Kathy you can sit beside the Yahama or Honda and talk all day. But the fumes will kill ya!! JON :D :D :D

hillsonwheels

OK, I'll ask the dumb question. :confused: Why should it be an inverter/generator? We bought our Big Horn gen ready thinking we'd add one later. Am really interested in reading and learning about options.

Dick

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Get a portable generator that has the sinewave in it. Wont take out your electronics. So far the Kipor has been very reliable. Cost..1K. If it lasts 5 years it only cost me $200 bucks per year. Saw a 2K Kipor for $900.00 today. Bob:D

jbeletti

Dick,

Bob and Kathy are steering you right. The inverter style gens output pure sine wave AC power. Whereas non-inverter style generally output modified or square sine-wave AC power (MSW).

There are a good many AC items that do not like MSW power. I do not have a list of these and only know of this from what I have read - not what I have experienced.

Jim

jbeletti

I need to correct myself. I phoned Cummins Onan and got a bit more educated.

A square wave is not the same as a modified sine wave (MSW). MSW is a little better than a square wave in that the edges are slightly rounded (modified) to semi-resemble a sine wave.

For what it's worth, standard Cummins Onan generators like Heartland and others use are NOT inverter style. But due to the design of the system (windings, stator etc), they produce nearly true sine wave AC power.

Not trying to muddy the waters or confuse anyone, just sharing a little more info learned.

Source: Cummins Onan @ 800-888-6626 option 3 for Factory Rep

Jim

SmokeyBare

Wyley,

That's a subjective question... there may be some who have owned several Generators... I've not though... not owning a Kipor, not sure how one could tell the difference. I've owned lawn and garden equipment that was Honda Built... those were well designed and ran trouble free for years. That alone helped me decide.

The Yamaha would have been my second choice. Size mattered to me as I wanted the Generator to fit inside my truck tool box. The Honda 3000 would be too tall for the box I own.

Our Style of RV living allows us to move about with the weather. I'd rather spend time in areas where I need to run the A/C as little as possible. The Generator size was selected with this in mind. But that said... I've since seen many Generators bolted or stored in the truck bed... either in front or behind the hitch. Some covered others out in the open and exposed to the weather.

wyleyrabbit

Marv,

Thanks for the great info.

I suppose our other question is, can we get by with a 2000W unit, knowing we'll never be able to run the AC with it, or do we go bigger like a 3000W unit knowing we spent more $ on it, and realizing it's much heavier and more difficult to move around.

I suppose one of my concerns with these small units is the potential for theft. Something small, brightly coloured, and with a handle on the top sitting out there in the open might be too tempting for the wrong type of person. Do most people lock these up somehow? You mention bolting to truck as an option, any idea how this would be done?

SmokeyBare

Wyley,
The Generators I've seen bolted to the floor of the truck have a metal frame. I see Honda has two 3,000 Watt generators, one with a tubular metal frame that goes completely around the unit... the other has a metal frame under the generator that has feet attached.

Either generator could be bolted down... using holes drilled through the truck bed that align with the holes in the Generator's frame, where the feet were located. I would expect they also put between the truck bed and the frame of the generator some vibration dampeners to reduce the noise of metal to metal contact.

When I use my 2000is, I place it under the slide room of the RV... placed on some wood or plastic blocks to keep any dust from being sucked into the engine. I use the built in plastic handle and a cable & lock to keep the honest thief from walking away with the Generator. The cable is much like one you would use to secure a bike. I wrap this over top the above slide support for the room and through the Generators handle. It's easy enough to refill the fuel tank as well as pull the starter cord from that location.

Attachments

• Honda EB3000c Generator.jpg.gif
    Honda EB3000c Generator.jpg.gif
    16 KB · Views: 11
  • Honda EU3000iS Generator.gif
    Honda EU3000iS Generator.gif
    10.3 KB · Views: 12