Generator Use

drdave

drdave
We tow the "Mothership" with the propane "On" so the beer is cold.
The generator "ON" so we can run the AC for the 6 search and rescue dogs we have travel in the garage portion. We run the AC "Flood Dump" and use a floor fan to blow the cooling air aft. The ceiling fan is on in the garage in addition. When we arrive, the dogs are cool, the beer is cold. If folks are afraid of propane, you'll never set butt in the Hydrogen Fuel cell cars of the future.

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
Between a Lindy MH, a 1971 Airstream...and a couple of OB's...I got about 300,000
miles logged (joking...) and never had a bit of problem with generator or propane.

AND, if there was gonna be a problem doing it...believe me when I tell you...I'd have already had it.

Just call me "Mr LuckY"

Uncle Rog

We always travel with the refer on propane. When Dometic installed the SBH kit on the unit I specifically asked the tech about the practice, he said the units are designed to run on the highway. He went on to say that MOST rv fires were from electrical failures and that in 30 yrs he had not heard of a refer burning up........

davelinde

... in 30 yrs he had not heard of a refer burning up........

uhh... they do burn - but usually from something obstructing the vent, not from anything to do with being in motion. I sure hope it's rare... but given a choice I'd rather have it burn with me in the truck than with me in the FW sleeping.

The fears I've heard are from a propane line getting sliced by a road hazard or from the ignitor sparking a fire from gasoline fumes. I use diesel so that's not an issue. I guess I'm taking my chances with the propane lines. My car pumps gasoline through lines that can fail...

snuffy

uhh... they do burn - but usually from something obstructing the vent, not from anything to do with being in motion. I sure hope it's rare... but given a choice I'd rather have it burn with me in the truck than with me in the FW sleeping.

The fears I've heard are from a propane line getting sliced by a road hazard or from the ignitor sparking a fire from gasoline fumes. I use diesel so that's not an issue. I guess I'm taking my chances with the propane lines. My car pumps gasoline through lines that can fail...

Todays propane tanks are such that a sudden surge of gas will cause them to shut off.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I spent 4 years in the USN and learned to fight fires on board ships. That is the extent of my knowledge about fires. So I have no knowledge to make an opinion. I do turn off my propane when I travel. I have read many opinions of people on forums and those that write a blog or web pages. That is all I can consider them to be.

However someone that has knowledge and experience on the subject, I will pay attention to their suggestions and opinions. I attended a course in a Life On Wheels seminar by Mac McCoy. His credentials are impressive. He teaches professional firefighters.
Just because someone has not had a fire on their RV or their propane tank has not exploded, does not mean to me that this is a safe way to travel. I mean no disrespect to anyone that voices their opinion, however I feel I will follow the suggestions of someone that has made a career in the field. This is my personal opinion which is only good for me. Each must follow their own path.

If your interested you might read the following web pages, then form your own opinion.

http://www.macthefireguy.com/AboutMacMcCoy.htm

http://www.macthefireguy.com/34_fire_facts_that_can_save_your.htm Point #8

BC