Generator won't crank after installing new battery

wdk450

With all of the semiconductors and microprocessors in modern equipment (including generators) if the generator is still not responding to start-up commands, you could have easily blown out some of these electronics in milliseconds before fuses had a chance to blow to protect the generator with reverse battery polarity applied.
If you can't get it running now, you may have to bite the bullet and get a pro mobile RV repairer out to your rig that is qualified on these generators. You might also call the generator manufacturer service line describing the incident, and asking what they think.

avvidclif

Not likely related to you not being able to start then gen, but be aware that if your battery was cross-polarized for only a second, it's likely the 3 fuses in the converter are blown.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Make sure there is power to the solenoid on the starter.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I hope the pic came through View attachment 52756View attachment 52756. I do know that i hooked the pos+ from the gen to the neg on the battery. Is there a fuse somewhere that could have blown?
Is this factory or did your dealer try to double up your your breakers ????
This is not how it should be set up.
8ee8731cb4fc1274ecbc052d8cb88399.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Nekneh

I had someone come out yesterday to take a look at it. I put all the battery cables back on, he pushed the start button and it instantly came on. Wtf?!! We have no idea what happened. I let it run for an hr or so. Im gonna go back out and see tomorrow if itll still have power

wdk450

I had someone come out yesterday to take a look at it. I put all the battery cables back on, he pushed the start button and it instantly came on. Wtf?!! We have no idea what happened. I let it run for an hr or so. Im gonna go back out and see tomorrow if itll still have power

An obvious case of machine vs. repairman with tools phobia.

jeffdee

Hello all, I started this thread on April 8. There has been a lot of excellent information in the discussions. Thank you to all contributing. As for me, I got frustrated after a couple weeks of tracing wires and such. After each failed attempt I would say to heck with it. I knew if I took it in it would be expensive to have it fixed. Well a couple of weeks ago I took the switch in the inside control panel out and brought it to an electronic supply to order a replacement. The clerk checked it and said it was fine. So I brought it home and reinstalled it. Guess what. The generator cranked and everything worked great! So I ran the generator for an hour for maintenance trials. After I shut everything down, it would not start back up. I pulled the panel again, checked the wiring when I found the switch would light up intermittently. I found that there was a poor crimp connection where 12v supplied to the fuel gauge also supplies voltage to the start switch and to the fuel pump priming the generator. It was dumb luck to stumble upon this wiring fault. It is corrected and now works every time. It is amazing to me that this whole issue started after simply replacing the battery.