Generator won't crank after installing new battery

jeffdee

Anyone experience this? I have been unable to trouble shoot the circuit that energizes the start switch in the cabinet or at the generator. All other 12v accessories are functioning: lights, slides, front hydraulic supports. No blown fuses that I can find. Is there something I might have disturbed electrically when installing the new battery. I have a 2014 Cyclone 3110. On the battery there were two wires on the positive and a single wire to ground. I had shore power unplugged when I changed the battery. The old battery was 4 years old. Probably a weak cell. Not been having any electrical problems prior to this event. I saw on another post with a picture something about a small relay to reset. I cannot locate it on the wall with all the 12 volt wiring. This is behind the battery in the generator compartment.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,
Jeff

danemayer

The generator typically gets powered by either a direct connection to the battery positive terminal, or by a connection to the battery positive cable before the cutoff switch. Sounds like maybe you have a loose wire hanging around.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Sounds to me like when they installed your new batteries the forgot 1 wire positive or negitive for the Gen

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Nekneh

Im having the same issue. My battery is getting power to the rest of my toyhauler but zero to my generator. 1 black wire, 1 red wire and 1 white wire. Im not getting any power to the main interior power/prime switch but i am to everything else in the toyhauler. Any help?

danemayer

Im having the same issue. My battery is getting power to the rest of my toyhauler but zero to my generator. 1 black wire, 1 red wire and 1 white wire. Im not getting any power to the main interior power/prime switch but i am to everything else in the toyhauler. Any help?

If you reconnected ALL the wires that were on the old battery, then go to the generator and try the start button on the front of the generator. That'll tell you if there's a problem with the interior switch or with getting power to the generator.

If you're not sure about the wires at the battery, look for a thick wire hanging loose.

Nekneh

Ok, i followed the wires from the genny and i might have had the pos cable attached to the neg on the battery . Im new to rv's and it was a black cable. I hooked it up to the pos and i still got zero power to genny.?

Ok, i might have had the pos cable from the genny attached to the neg on the battery. I am new to rvs and it was a black cable. I hooked it up to the pos and still no power to genny but still power to rest of toy hauler

Last edited by a moderator:

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

You have something hook up wrong or missing.
Can you open up the Gen and find the cable at the starter solinoid. It should be red. Follow those two cables from there out to the batteries. That red cable should be red at the batteries too.
With all of those cables it really easy to mess that up.

Next time you do it you could, first take a good picture of the wires on the batteries. Then count how many wires on each post. Then take off all of the ground wires first and zip tie them together, the do the same thing with the positive wires. I would mark all positive wires with red tape.
Then swap out the batteries.

Just a few steps to make it a little easier next time. I learned this the hard way over the years.

Jerrod

Nekneh

I traced the negative cable from Gen and found it attached to a ""sidewall" and then plugged the pos cable back onto the correct spot on battery. Still no power to gen

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

If you don't have power to the post at the Gen solinoid then the cable is not hooked up.
I think you have 1 more cable laying down back there not hooked up
My guess

avvidclif

There should be 2 large black wires coming out of the side of the generator compartment (tin cover). The ends will have red or black heatshrink on them. The red heatshrink goes to the "+" of the battery. The black heatshrink goes to the firewall behind the battery. The "+" of the battery will have the large black and a smaller red wire that goes to a breaker. The "-" of the battery will have a white wire that goes to the firewall beside the generator lead. Look closely on the firewall and the 2 red spraypainted spots are the ground leads, gen to right of gray conduit and battery to left.

If I can ever get the pic to load properly I will post it

Attachments

• IMG_1368.jpg
    IMG_1368.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 56

Nekneh

I hope the pic came through 20170623_085437.jpg20170623_085437.jpg. I do know that i hooked the pos+ from the gen to the neg on the battery. Is there a fuse somewhere that could have blown?

Last edited:

avvidclif

I would look at the circuit breakers on the wall for one that is tripped. Feel for a small button on one end.

TxRoadWarrior362

You have something hook up wrong or missing.
Can you open up the Gen and find the cable at the starter solinoid. It should be red. Follow those two cables from there out to the batteries. That red cable should be red at the batteries too.
With all of those cables it really easy to mess that up.

Next time you do it you could, first take a good picture of the wires on the batteries. Then count how many wires on each post. Then take off all of the ground wires first and zip tie them together, the do the same thing with the positive wires. I would mark all positive wires with red tape.
Then swap out the batteries.

Just a few steps to make it a little easier next time. I learned this the hard way over the years.

Jerrod

Dont lie Jerrod. You've never had a problem, your Meguiver! Lol

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Dont lie Jerrod. You've never had a problem, your Meguiver! Lol
LOL Believe me I've done it more then once.
Changing starters on the big trucks there are multiple pos + and multiple gro - wires all very hard to see and almost impossible to get to. There always seems to be one wire that goes astray on me.

jbeletti

Not likely related to you not being able to start then gen, but be aware that if your battery was cross-polarized for only a second, it's likely the 3 fuses in the converter are blown.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk