Getting away from winter (brief trip to Galveston?)

We're in central Minnesota, and our new (last summer) Sundance has been tucked away for the winter. But we're thinking of trying to get away for a week or so with our slide-in truck camper, and it looks like if we drive straight south, we can end up in the Galveston, TX area, where it will be warmer than here. We're looking for any recommendations on places to stay, things to do, orany general advice on that area or other places to consider in the Gulf area.

Al and Marilyn Lambrecht
2012 Sundance 3200RE
(haven't made a fancy map yet!)

jimtoo

Hi Al and Marillyn,

I think you should come on down to San Antonio for a visit. Lots of things to do and see. There is a koa park kinda close to downtown, easy to get to I have been told. From there you could catch the bus or trolly to the downtown area, there are three different trolly or bus runs, you pay one fee,,get off and on all you want.. the drivers are good tour guides..(these are the city operated, the only ones I would use) , cheap to ride all day on all three routes. You can visit the El Mercado, ( Mexican Market), River Walk, ride the boats.. go and visit the Alamo and also tour some of the Missions and the Spanish Governor's Palace. San Antonio is not to expensive and is a really great place to visit and all kids of good food.

And if time allows.,, come on down to Corpus Christi and out to Padre Island and to Port Aransas, ride the free ferry to Aransas Pass, visit Rockport, Fulton area. We have a lot of Heartlanders down for the winter and they are meeting someplace almost every week for dinner or something... You would have a ball with a couple of these folks.

Jim M

TXBobcat

Fulltime
If you are going to Galveston check out the Sandpiper. It was in the construction stages in February of this year. Not a lot of sites but they are on concrete and plenty of room. The nice thing is when you walk out the south gate you are right on the beach. Nice people, but you need to check and see if they have an opening for you when you plan to arrive.

Here is a couple of photos to give you an idea.

DSC_0117M.jpg DSC_0130M.jpg

BC