Getting used to rank sensors

CoveredWagon

Holy Crap Batman. These Rv tank sensors remind me of the fuel tank sensors in my airplane. 😡 The ONLY time they are REQUIRED to be accurate is when they are on EMPTY. 😱 Hey don't look at me, I didn't write the regs.

Now granted that is for small small aircraft flown under certain regulations, but that's what it is.

BigJim45

Luv'n Life
Holy Crap Batman. These Rv tank sensors remind me of the fuel tank sensors in my airplane. 😡 The ONLY time they are REQUIRED to be accurate is when they are on EMPTY. 😱 Hey don't look at me, I didn't write the regs.

Now granted that is for small small aircraft flown under certain regulations, but that's what it is.

That's not new to the RV industry. They all do the same. Don't read correct.

MCTalley

So im quickly learning. Get a 2/3 reading, pull the dump valve, Splush, all done.

Mine's the opposite - Pull the dump valve, splush, check the gauge and now it says 2/3 full. Done.

Actually, after having lived in this unit full-time for almost two years, we've found our reliable indicators of when each tank is full:

1. Front gray tank - Random passer-by: "Hey, you have some type of leak under your RV".
2. Rear gray tank - Wife: "The kitchen sink won't drain!"
3. Black tank - Toilet: "Burrrrrp!"

wdk450

I have always wondered why when all the millions of motor vehicles out there have float-type liquid (fuel) tank senders that seem on the whole to work well, the RV tanks don't have these same type liquid level sensors and analog gauges?

wdk450

Mine's the opposite - Pull the dump valve, splush, check the gauge and now it says 2/3 full. Done.

Actually, after having lived in this unit full-time for almost two years, we've found our reliable indicators of when each tank is full:

1. Front gray tank - Random passer-by: "Hey, you have some type of leak under your RV".
2. Rear gray tank - Wife: "The kitchen sink won't drain!"
3. Black tank - Toilet: "Burrrrrp!"

For my rig the tank full indicators are:

1. Front (Kitchen) gray tank - water won't drain from the kitchen sinks
2. Rear (Shower) gray tank - Standing water in the shower
3. Black Tank (Toilet) - Backsplashing "BUURP" (as the fluid height in the black tank raises above the roof vent pipe)

I have had my grey tanks overfill several times and never experienced an overflow of fluid onto the ground. The black tank has never overflowed, either. I don't think my tanks have overflow orifices other than the rooftop vent lines.

Now living alone, the black tank burp is my signal it is time to dump all 3 tanks. A good tank dump procedure includes first dumping the black (with built-in tank washer/sprayer being used), then dumping the detergent rich kitchen gray water to wash out the plumbing lines and discharge hose, and lastly dumping the mainly clearwater shower gray tank to flush out the plumbing and hose.

Commenting on the thread title, I have a built-in sewer "RANK SENSOR" on the center of my face.

MCTalley

I have had my grey tanks overfill several times and never experienced an overflow of fluid onto the ground.

Initially, ours would just back up into the shower. At some point in time, it started running out somewhere and dripping out around the underbelly when it is full. I'm assuming the vent pipe connection on top is leaking. We don't get funny smells or anything, so it is probably just a crack in the fitting somewhere. I have a small drain hole at the low point of the front section of underbelly just in case.

If we are at a park with sewer hookups and are staying more than a day or two, I'll hook up the sewer hose and (usually) leave the front tank drain open, especially if we'll be doing laundry and showers. I let the kitchen gray tank fill up for use to flush the hose when I dump the black tank.

dlw930

This is my favorite topic. Tank y'all very much! This afternoon the DW said the galley tank was full again (I had just emptied it unbeknownst to her). I told her to lift the sink drain stopper. Ohhhh! Ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk