GFI Plugs In Kitchen Not Working

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
lefty,

The "Caddy" pieces you refer to are only for low voltage - data, communication, coax, etc. When installing a box for a 120V receptacle - definitely use the "old work" box SmokeyBare mentioned. Wouldn't want any un-necessary flaming going on! :eek:

Those caddies meet code for all electrical special applications.

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
Receptacle Mounting

Those caddies meet code for all electrical special applications.

When I had some network cable installed Cat5 Stuff...the walls were nothing but sheet rock. The installer used something he called a "caddy", this was a flat piece of tin that you fit over the hole and bent two backs in and behind the sheet rock. Worked well.

You might want to check this out...no box needed unless you just flat want one.

Receptacles are required by the NEC to be installed in boxes: NEC 406.4 and 300.15.

The Caddy devices only eliminate the need for a box when installing low voltage Class 2 wiring and devices. I am assuming you were talking about a Caddy device like the attached. Either way, the NEC specifically states that receptacles be installed in boxes.

Attachments

• Caddy.pdf
    80.9 KB · Views: 23

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
Receptacles are required by the NEC to be installed in boxes: NEC 406.4 and 300.15.

The Caddy devices only eliminate the need for a box when installing low voltage Class 2 wiring and devices. I am assuming you were talking about a Caddy device like the attached. Either way, the NEC specifically states that receptacles be installed in boxes.

Well...I'm gonna say this...I saw what the building contractors did...and there is not one electrical box in the entire build-out of the 4th floor of my old company. I asked about it...and was told it was ok by current code.

It may be a requirement now, I'm not disputing your word, I'm just telling you how I've seen it done LOTS...and not just for data cable.

Jimmyt5

My kitchen receptacles were not working today,found the wire on the back of the GFI recept. was out of the cinch hole, bummer.

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
My kitchen receptacles were not working today,found the wire on the back of the GFI recept. was out of the cinch hole, bummer.

This is the first time and place I've ever seen a GFI do anything other than cause problems.

Sorry about your problems..but, at least you had the smarts to figure it out.:eek: