Give Heartland your feedback on the 2012 Landmark - what do you want?

kkamshop

Lots of great ideas here! We like the Grand Canyon floorplan but get rid of that humongous desk - we need the floor space more than the desk surface.

As to color - think beach house - the colors of the beach and ocean - people would go nuts for that!!!

Maybe this has been addressed, but the engineering that allows rainwater to enter the underbelly with no way out is the one thing we would like to see changed on our 2009 model.

Quality furniture - our friends have a new SOB ultralight TT that came with leather La-z-boys and boy, was I jealous. Our recliners from Flair look and feel like they are made from scrap lumber.

How about a lighter shade of wall covering to distinguish the LM from everybody else.

jbeletti

Great, great stuff people. Keep it coming. Ken A and Tom A, quit holding back :) Tom - I fixed your image URL. Nice table. That's a DRV right?

ChopperBill

"I would also like to see a better quality carpet in the rigs." quote from above. We think our Bighorn carpet is top notch. Wish we had as good in our stick home. Those high/low carpets in luxury rigs look terrible after a few weeks. Both Renee and I looked at Landmarks and could not see the price difference in them and the the Bighorns. Money was no object and you can see what we bought. Even the dealer said they had to really load up the Landmarks with option to make them look the price difference. Sorry but "soft touch" ceilings? Dont care if the ceiling is soft touch, never saw a luxury home with them. Going to build a luxury unit, do it up right. Price no object.

Tom of Ypsi

Jim, Thanks for the image fix and yes this is on the DRV for the 2011 models. Also if HL and the Landmark line is going to a higher end coach it may consider an optional fiberglass roof.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
First of all, as someone already suggested, get rid of Lippert. They have established a name for shoddy work and bad service after the sale. I'd love to see an option for a full-time rig with a 110 volt refrigerator. I'd like to see a way to carry a golf cart, either in an enclosed room with possibly a side entry or an attached platform/trailer for a cart. The separate UDC, our of the underbelly storage for all valves. 17.5" wheel as an option. Disk brakes as an option. Better quality control on all luxury lines. Would it be possible to use underfloor electric heating?

beardedone

Beardedone
We like to winter camp so I would like to see better insulation and care in stalling it. One area that is annoying is sitting at the computer desk in our 09 Augusta and my feet freezing off because the floor is not insulated. I also suspect that even at the present time there was available space in the end caps to increase the level of insulation but it wasn't increased when the opportunity existed on the assembly line.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I agree on a better frame, axle, suspension system and improved Hydraulic Landing gear. Supporting the entire trailer is paramount.

I would also like to see the gate valves all be the large 3". This will help the Gray tanks drain quicker.

Have the fresh water drain accessable without crawling under the trailer.

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
There are some really great recommendations here. Mark, I like your thinking. Also, I know it's a personal preference kind of thing, but the main reason we bought our Landmark Pinehurst was momma wanted the separate commode room. I'd like to see that continued on at least one or two models.

Two minor changes I'd like to see is a switch in the commode room for the ceiling fan. I'd like to turn on the light and the fan from the wall switch. Also I really would like to see the placement of the light switch for the bedroom is a more convinent place. Right now it is behind the bedroom door. I'd like to see it on the wall when you enter the bedroom, not hidden behind the door. I know my changes/wishes are insignificant compared to some of the other modification suggested, but those are two little nit-piks I deal with every time I use the rig.

Keith

lwmcguir

Remember that the 2011 GM's and Fords duallys can now legally tow over 21,500lbs.

Great point. The new GCWR ratings for duallys will let you pull many of the upper end coaches with the DW option. If you are looking at a $75,000 coach then the $50,000 or so for the new TV probably isn't out of line. The new maximum ratings do allow you to stay in the F350/F450 line up and pull about as much as you would want to.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
OK...I've been reading this and doing alot of thinking, and here's my 2 cents....

Heartland needs to decide where they really want to be in the market with their Landmark. Do they want to stay just in the upper end of the mid-level units available, i.e., Jayco Designer, Montana Big Sky, etc., or do the REALLY want to compete on the high-end scale...if it's the latter, they really need to get back to the roots of the Landmark. In my opinion you've already got the Bighorn to compete in the upper mid-level market...the Landmark needs to move into it's own...

Bring back the beautiful, classic woodwork, the high-end features like the separate UDC, the watermanifold, upgrade the furniture and carpet as mentioned, really improve the insulation and quality control of these units AND upgrade the type of frame used...go for the double stacked box frame, even if it is a Lippert, and verify the construction quality before the build the unit on it!

Here's the one other thing...if you REALLY want to compete with units like the DRV, New Horizons, etc...you need to make AND market the Landmark as a true fulltime rig...that's where these other manufacturers get their buyers even if they're not fulltiming it's these things they're looking for, and if you want to tap that market, you've got to give them a reason to look at your product...JMHO!!

tcbrady

excellent feedback!! thank you. We are working right now on product enhancements to the Landmark that will debut later this year. All of your suggestions will be taken into serious consideration - I'm confident the RV enthusiast will be impressed!

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Mr. Brady, while you are researching take a look at the DRV Elite Suites. It is their high end product. Look at the wiring, it is all bundled nice and neat. Look at the access to things like their water manifold, hot water heater, converter etc. Look at their attention to detail. If you want to compete with the Mobile and Elite Suites that is a starting point. The floor plans in these units are very similar. Also there are those of us that like to have a separate commode room so Mama can get ready while Daddy relieves himself. Look at the position of the washer/dryer...with it in the nose closet it increases the pin weight versus being in the side. Look at an open floor plan such as our Golden Gate as not everyone wants a kitchen island taking up room. Look at the location of the refrigerator as if it is in the slideout it causes cooling issues and increases the weight of the slide. Look at having some sort of an inner fender to protect the RV in the event of a blowout. Our Alfa Gold had them and I had NO damage to the unit when we had a blowout. Pretty graphics are window dressing but things that shout quality is what we are looking for. Look at the Teton (out of business), Mobile/Elite Suites, and New Horizon as examples of actual 4 season units. Yes I know they cost more however those that full time/anytime look for those things and are willing to spend the extra dollars to buy their 'house'. The Landmark will fade off into the sunset if you continue to compete with yourself i.e. the Big Horn versus the Landmark. There should be a real differentiation in the two. Right now they have the same market place. Thanks for listening.

porthole

Retired
Access. One of the key features of the Cyclone 3010 versus almost every other toy hauler we looked at was that with the slides in there is access to the fridge and bathroom without having to climb over stuff. And we could sit and grab a snack.
When searching for a trailer, even before the Cyclone, each trailer I was interested in I looked at with slides both in and out.

RoadJunkie

I thought of something else: How about 2 heaters so that bedroom/bath and living areas can be independently controlled? There is no use (over) heating the living area all night while the bedroom needs to be toasty while sleeping. Of course insulated ducting is implied.

front living room would be so amazing! The bath area could use some rework, but the L sofa is awsome, work space in the main galley, convenient (for those of us who are gong to be working on the road) and an on board generator would be PERFECT~

3750FL.gif

Last edited:

katkens-DW

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
I would love a front living room. We went to a RV show here in St Louis and I saw one. It was Beautiful It would be the one model that would make me think about getting rid of my bighorn. I know Heartland could make one even more beautiful then the one I saw I think it was a Monatana.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I would like to see a 3 year warranty like the Auto Mfgrs give. That way I would feel better that my investment was a good one.

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
Remember that the 2011 GM's and Fords duallys can now legally tow over 21,500lbs.

Yes Alan, the one ton duallys can pull 21,500lbs, but some people want a SRW, like me. The one ton 2011 Chevy Heavy Duty standard box pulls 17,200 lbs. but the unfortunate key is the 2011 Landmark appears to have over 4,000 lb pin weight, and GMC 3500HD's max pin weight allowed is 4,035 lbs. Very close call for Single Rear Wheel one tons. I don't want to be forced to buy a dually. Heartland advertises that shortbed trucks will pull their rigs, so I am hoping that HL reduces the pin weight as much as they can in the 2012's, so I can buy a Landmark and tow it with a standard box one ton.

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
Here is my 2 cents worth. We own a "Classic" 2005 landmark Mt. Rushmore.We love it.We love the open space we have. I have just read all the replies in this thread and alot of the things people are wanting in a unit we already have.so maybe just go back to building them the way you did in the beginning. We added a fireplace to ours and a few other touches to make it ours.Now here is my suggestion. With the door side slide out,when it rains,even with the awning out,when you open the door you get wet.While the awning extends over the door,it is not far enough to keep you from getting wet. Extend the awning over towards the slideout a little more or move the door more under the awning.Something to keep you from getting wet.