GMC to RAM

danemayer

OK Dan - after a couple of weeks under your belt with the new Ram, tell us what you like and dislike from your GMC. We have a new 2014 3500 Ram (only 3 months old) and having several problems. First of all we couldn't balance the wheels. Took it to our regular tire guy who thought he had everything but it still shimmy and shaked. Went back to the Chrysler dealership for their opinion and guess what they couldn't balance them either. Ended up with Chrysler replacing all 6 tires because they said the tires (Generals) were badly flat-spotted. Now the truck is back at the dealership for the 4 time because of the check engine light. Got a call today that they are going to replace the computer brain cuz they can't get the light to go out. Diagnostic checked out fine so it doesn't seem to be a major problem, just that the engine light wont stay off. We have had Dodge/Ram trucks since the 60's haven't had this kind of problems with a new truck. At least Chrysler is backing their warranty stuff.
Hi Nathan,

There are 4 things that I'll ask about at my first service visit.

1. The engine doesn't sound anything like the GMC. It's been a while but I don't think it sounds like the F350's that I've occasionally driven. I would describe it as a throaty, growling sound, especially in lower gears. I also don't remember the 2010 Dodge I test drove sounding like this.
  2. Occasionally when accelerating from a stop (towing and not towing), there's a bit of a hesitation before the engine kicks in. The other day it was over a second. The truck moves, but slowly, and then accelerates.
  3. Several times after starting up and moving the gearshift into DRIVE, the transmission stays in 1st gear. I look at the display and find that it's in manual mode, set for '1'. I have to bump the manual shift button all the way up to DRIVE. Pretty sure that's a software malfunction because to get it into '1', I'd have to hit the downshift button 6 times.
  4. The DEF usage seems incredibly high compared to the GMC. GMC used about 1 gallon of DEF per 1000 miles - towing or not. Maybe the dealer didn't fill the DEF tank, but it was almost empty and took almost 5 gallons at 700 miles. I've since gone about another 600 miles (1/2 towing) and the DEF gauge is on 1/2 - which based on the earlier readout means that I probably have about 1.5 gallons left. So I think it's used somewhere around 7+ gallons in 1300 miles, or 5+ times what the GMC consumed.

I've been wondering why when towing I didn't feel the fantastic improvement in stability that everyone talks about. I did notice that the outside tires were not inflated as high as the inside tires. 72/77/77/72. I haven't towed since setting them all to 77. Would that cause a less than optimum stability? Don't know. But I'm wondering if a) perhaps the 2011 GMC CC LB had great stability, or perhaps b) people who talk about night and day improvement were coming off a shortbed truck.

I like the keyless entry/ignition. Had it on our Prius's since 2005. Nice addition. The console integration with smartphones is pretty good. When I get a text on the phone, the console alerts me and will read the text aloud. Seems minor, but some days I get a number of texts and can't really look at the phone.

The move to dually has been a non-event from a handling and parking standpoint. Parking's not that much different. We do leave 5 minutes earlier for Church because their parking is pretty tight. The earlier arrival gives me better parking choices.

My TST monitor read the trailer sensors without issue. In the same position in this truck, sensors drop off the screen intermittently and come back later. I found if I open the inside cover for the moon roof, I can trap the monitor with the cover and the sensors don't drop out. Could probably fix it by getting the repeater, but I didn't need it with the GMC.

All-in-all, seems like a pretty good truck.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Interesting comparisons.

The engine noise is pretty consistent with the 2009 Dodge Ram 3500 which we sold with the camper, therefore haven't notice real difference.

Humm - acceleration hesitation. Yes we have the same thing and a real difference from the 2009 truck. I assumed it was because of the difference between the single rear wheel configuration verses the dually but now I'm wondering. Both of the trucks had/have the 373 rearend so that shouldn't make a difference. Could it be modern technology which chokes down the throttle linkage - I wonder.

Haven't had the start-up gear problem. That's ever interesting. I do know that the dealership did do 4 software updates about 3 weeks ago. I would definitely bring that back to have it checked. Something just doesn't sound right. Dodge/Ram did change the location of the down shift button to the shifter which I have accidentally hit once or twice.

Now to DEF= what a joke. Can a say a little diesel fuel with your DEF!!! Without the camper we have gone between a thousand to 1200 miles without adding DEF with the gauge barely moving. With the camper - we must add Def about around 500 miles (pulling about 63-65 mph). You can watch the needle move while the fuel needle barely moves. We now carry 2 1/2 gallon container all the time (get from tractor supply store).

After a year you will loss the text alarm/read out loud feature unless you pay extra for it with Sirius co. We have had that with the last 3 vehicles and dropped it after the free time period. Since the truck is being used more with business, might keep it this time. Will have to see how much extra it is.

Good luck and travel safely.

mobilcastle

I hope you guys get your trucks straightened out. They cost to much $$$$ to be having problems from the get go. I do think the Def usage is way to high. Good luck.

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
I have to agree the def usage sounds high. Bought my f350 in jan and one major tow to va from la and couple local tows and just over 7k miles I used a 2.5 gallon jug plus what little dealer put in at first oil change before trip to va.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JanAndBill

Had given serious thought to trading this fall, but you guys are scaring me. Seems like there's no front runner out there in the HD truck line up as they ALL have much of the same problems now. Might have to instead invest in some more upgrades to the old nag and keep it for another year. At least I know what I have to work with and what to expect.

whp4262

My 2013 Duramax dually uses about 1 gallon of DEF per 1000 miles running empty and on a recent trip from Fort Worth to San Diego and back pulling the Cyclone I averaged about 500 miles per gallon of DEF.

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
I also hope it doesn't happen to anyone else, especially while towing. When the engine quit, power steering and power brakes went out. Fortunately I wasn't towing at the time and traffic was only moderately heavy.

It makes me wonder whether the integrated trailer brake controller has any dependency on the engine running. Hopefully not.

Ford added a little feature to their 6.7 diesel which is a joke. If the temp on the exhaust (EGT's) is to high it will shut the engine down without warning. Not a great feeling when you have your two daughters with you on the interstate.

But GM has been running the CP series high pressure pump the longest in a pickup application. Dodge start running the CP3 in 2003. Ford didn't start until 2008. These pumps are capable of producing 30,000psi. So their tolerance are extremely tight. They are designed to pump one thing, diesel. The lubricity of the current fuel is not the issue. It is the water in the fuel that kills these pumps. Best thing a person can do is add a after market fuel filter 2 micron absolute) and a quality fuel/water separator.

GM is also the only (or was) company that did not run a lift pump for the CP injection pump. So rather then feeding it GM relied on the suction of the CP to pull the fuel from the tank.

GM for the longest used a much better CP3 injection pump then Dodge has. The GM version has larger bearings for the cam shaft. The GM pumps are known to last longer.

Not sure if GM still uses the CP3 as Ford uses a CP4 version of the Bosch pump. Far as I know GM and Dodge run a CP3 which I believe is a better pump then the CP4

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 3 HD

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Recently been in contact with GM about the problems with the CP4.2 in the 2011 and 2012 trucks....it appears they have now made changes and are using a CP4.3 which has been "beefed up" (their words) to eliminate the problems seen with the earlier version...sure hope so....

porthole

Retired
Ford supposedly changed the pump for 2015 model trucks.

Pricey, but I am still thinking about Dieselsites dual filter kit.

mobilcastle

What happens to your warranty if this after market filtration system is added. Can Ford say you altered the fuel system, if their is a problem, and refuse the repair?
Ford supposedly changed the pump for 2015 model trucks.

Pricey, but I am still thinking about Dieselsites dual filter kit.

mobilcastle

If you are having a problem with excessive DEF usage, I read where you may have a oxygen sensor(s) that is bad. I would ask to have them checked individually. Not just looking for a code. Good luck.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Thanks Steve. Will have that checked out later. Just got the beast back after Chrysler replaced the BRAIN (as the dealership called the computer module). Will have to wait and see if the check engine light issue is fixed.

Last edited:

gtsum2

i have a 2014 3500 cummins and the gas pedal hesitation is well documented on the cummins forum. Mine has done it twice...like rolling slowly towards a stop light and let off the gas because car in front isnt going, and then I try and give it gas to get going again...it has hesitated for well over a second when I was in the middle of the intersection. The cummins is certainly a lot louder than a dmax or ford...it actually sounds like a diesel. I love my 2014 ram, but there are a few quirks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

porthole

Retired
What happens to your warranty if this after market filtration system is added. Can Ford say you altered the fuel system, if their is a problem, and refuse the repair?

No.
It is incumbent on the manufacturer to prove the modifications you did casued the warrantable failure. I'm not refering to power modifications or emisiion equipment reductions.

There is literally an Act of Congress passed back in the 70's to protect the consumer.

mobilcastle

Duane
I am looking at adding this to my truck. It also adds a lift pump with the filtration and water separator. Has anyone used one of these?http://www.xtremediesel.com/pureflo...djustableregulatorquickconnectduramaxlml.aspx
No.
It is incumbent on the manufacturer to prove the modifications you did casued the warrantable failure. I'm not refering to power modifications or emisiion equipment reductions.

There is literally an Act of Congress passed back in the 70's to protect the consumer.

GlenStMary

I totally agree with you J&B. I've been pulling with my 2004 Ford350 DRW and have only recently had any issues. Within the last 2 months I've had to replace the alternator and a transmission temperature sensor. An outlay of less than $1000 for repairs over a 10 year period is totally acceptable to me. Plus, if it wasn't for reading this forum I probably wouldn't even know what DEF is! My truck is a 2004 Ford F350, 6.0 with an Edge controller, original factory studs, AirRaid filter system, EGR delete, 4 inch exhaust, BD exhaust brake, and AirLift bags.

scottyb

i have a 2014 3500 cummins and the gas pedal hesitation is well documented on the cummins forum. Mine has done it twice...like rolling slowly towards a stop light and let off the gas because car in front isnt going, and then I try and give it gas to get going again...it has hesitated for well over a second when I was in the middle of the intersection. The cummins is certainly a lot louder than a dmax or ford...it actually sounds like a diesel. I love my 2014 ram, but there are a few quirks

Are you referring to "turbo lag" or is this something different? I am a little disappointed in the lag time with my Ford. It is no better than my previous 2000 7.3 and maybe a little worse than my 2007 Duramax.

gtsum2

Not turbo lag...it's like the ecu or tranny gets confused for a second. When it happened to me in like literally push the pedal to the floor two times and nothing was happening. Only happened when I was rolling along slowly and let off the gas and then pushed the gas to go in quick succession. Check the dead pedal thread on cummins forum as it has happened to quite a few people

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Is that a "feature" of an electronic throttle/pedal? Our newer fire trucks have them and they are a PITA if you don't mash it to the floor and then back off. 25 ton truck bucks like a bronco until it reaches speed, otherwise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gtsum2

I really don't know. It has only happened to me twice in 7000 miles of driving but both times were as I described above. 99.9% of the time it is normal...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2