Going it alone against the wind

PUG

Pug
Kind of a rule of thumb I go by. If towing a 10k plus fifth wheel go to a 3500 under 10ka 2500 will suffice. I pulled my 3950 with a 2500 Duramax and it was to much for the 18k it weighs. went to a ram 3500 dually for safety and stability and it is great. Fifth wheels are no harder to hookup but you should always enlist someone with one to help and watch. Anyone can screw up and it will eventually happen. Duallys are a little more to watch out for in parking lots etc but not that big of problem.

Wow..thanks for all the advice! I'm studying at all. I work at GM as a Senior Designer in the Powertrain group so I'm very aware of the benefits of the Duramax. If you want a discount on a new truck, I can get you the GM supplier discount for friends. I am allowed one per month. You would just have to e mail me your birthdate and zip code.
  • GM Supplier Discount for Friends >
Do you know someone in the market for a new vehicle? You can help boost sales and market share — and our company's success — by sharing the GM Supplier Discount for Friends.
The GM Supplier Discount for Friends is perfect for people who otherwise may not consider buying a new GM vehicle. So share this valuable discount with aunts, uncles, cousins, friends and neighbors who are shopping the competition!
It's a great time to share Preferred Pricing, available through the GM Supplier Discount for Friends, with potential buyers. Read on to learn about this easy discount process!
How does it work?
It's similar to the GM employee discount process. You will need your prospect's date of birth and ZIP Code to obtain their GM Supplier Discount for Friends authorization number online.

I can't wait to get start traveling the country w/ my bike, truck and toy hauler. I even have some other friends interested in getting their own toy haulers so we can all go together. I wonder if they will give us a multipe sale disount on Cyclones?? I'll have to ask!

Northern Virginia
I pull a Landmark with a GMC 2500 standard bed Duramax and have air bags. It pulls, stops and handles well. The new 2011 3500 is available with a standard bed as well. I would get the 3500 for the higher pin weight rating.

If you are traveling solo I would definitely get a back up camera. When backing and making turns you are blind on one side and the back. A good back up camera would make the end of your trips much less stressful.

My wife helps me back up and I cannot tell you how many times I wish I had a camera. ( I hope she doesn't see this... but) I think I would prefer to back up and not have her help but like I said, you are blind on one side and can't see behind you so you need another set of eyes or a camera. You'll be really glad you spent the money especially if there are trees around.

John

I thought about the back up camera.. I'm wondering about getting the toy (s) out when you are parked w/ trees's and woods behind you. I guess i'd have to unload the bike first..then back in. I've seen a few toy hauler models w/ the side load garage. ?? Not sure about that either. Lots to consider and think about.

Oh..yes..I talked at lenght last night to the salesman at the GMC dealership. He's going to help me out too..in deciding which bed length would be right.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Something you might think about. Many of the short bed trucks have a smaller fuel tank. A F250 short bed has a 29gal tank while the long bed has a 38gal tank. If you want to install an axiliary tank you will have more room with an 8ft bed. I am glad I have a full length bed. It also gives you more truck to disperse the weight. It takes a bit more room to park but you will get use to it.

Be careful about taking advice from truck dealers. Many of them have never pulled a trailer like we do. They are salesmen and I think their experience is very limited. I am not trying to knock dealers, just some of their towing knowledge. I strongly suggest the long bed. But that is what I did so I am slated in that direction originally. I also suggest you get a 4wd if you can afford it.

That's what we did.

BC

porthole

Retired
I thought about the back up camera.. I'm wondering about getting the toy (s) out when you are parked w/ trees's and woods behind you. I guess i'd have to unload the bike first..then back in. I've seen a few toy hauler models w/ the side load garage. ?? Not sure about that either. Lots to consider and think about.

I have looked at the side load styles. They can work. I just didn't see any I liked. But mostly I don't like the idea of the bike being "side loaded" when traveling. Emergency stops would put tremendous strain on the tie downs, more then I believe they are capable of sustaining.

And then with a side load you will be limited to only one bike..........................

Northern Virginia
Because the trailers we pull are so heavy you need to consider where you are going camping. If you will be going to paved sites in Florida you may not need 4WD.

Many of the parks we go to are grass, gravel and sometimes dirt/mud. My 4WD has gotten me out of some slippery places. I have even uses it a couple of times getting out of my own yard.

I am really glad I have 4WD.

John

I live in Michigan. I have a steep driveway and need a 4WD just to get up it in the winter. I've owned 4WD's all my live. I currently have a Silverado 1/2 ton Z71 4WD.
I love it!! ;-) I want to go out SW, W and E mainly. I'm not crazy about Florida. Been there lots of times. But the moutains are my fav.

Looking at the new brochure I just got on the Silverado HD's the only fuel tank option in on the chassis cab; you can get 63.5 gal, a front 23.5 gal. or a rear 40 gal. tank option on chassis cabs only. Otherwise the standard tank looks to be 36 gallons. I'll ask the engineer charge of fuel systems at GMPT this week to be sure. I'm only interested in GMC or Chevy HD's. Because they are the best.