GoodSam Credit card blues

Diamondjim

Not sure this is the proper place to speak about this, but the powers that be can move this to where ever it needs to be.

Traveling after 3 months in Ohio to Massachusetts to spend September with our daughter and spouse before heading home to Florida.
Stopped at a Pilot in Bath, NY (I86 9/3/16) to fuel. Used my GoodSam Visa for $75. fuel purchase. Stayed with some friends in the Finger Lakes over Labor Day. Arrived at Traveler's Woods in Bernardston, MA last night (9/6), checked in and went to pay with said GoodSam Visa. Printer spit out NSF code (???) in 2 attempts to use card. They were very nice about it, I offered another card(s) for payment, talk to them and stop back tomorrow and settle up they said.

Called GoodSam today, after looking at my statement and finding 2 Pending Transactions, each for $500 originating at Pilot in Bath on 9/3.
I was told that it was SOP and the charges would disappear at midnight tonight (4 days later)!

Even with this extra $1000. hold on my credit card, I had lots of room for my $340. charge I was trying put on the card last night, but NO, it would not take the charge.

Anyone else have this happen to them?

Customer Service person said this was normal, and next time I should not pay for the fuel at the pump next time, but rather go in and let the cashier do the processing. Hello, why do they have card readers at the pumps if you are not supposed to use them.

Have to admit, this is the first time I've fueled with the "big boys" but it may be the last if this is how it works. GRRRRRRRRRR

Maybe I'm over reacting, but DW is fit to be tied! Any suggestions?

Mburtsvt

Well unfortunately this is common. The big rigs can fill up with $500 in fuel. so the CC hits the card for a $500 pre-approval. I always go to the fuel desk in Pilot and have them place a $200 charge on the card. Even if I don’t use all of the $200 it still comes out with the correct amount. It’s an extra trip to the store - but worth it not to have a $500 hold on the card until the real amount clears, (yes - it could take a few days).

BusManRG

I'm assuming this $500 hold policy only applies in the truck bays at Pilot and not over in the auto area??? Or is that a bad assumption?

Sandy

Mburtsvt

I'm assuming this $500 hold policy only applies in the truck bays at Pilot and not over in the auto area??? Or is that a bad assumption?

Sandy

Well - I have a 90 gallon tank in the back and when I tow I always use the truck side of the Pilot - so I can’t really say. I have see signs on the pumps on the auto side that say the limit for CC is $125.00. That may be how they stop higher charges. I’m sure yu could go into the store and get a higher pre-approved amount.

Rhyph

We have to fuel with semi's in most Flyin J's and that is usually the only option at Pilots due to the size/length of our rig. We don't like to risk getting trapped at the turn out for the RV islands, most of them are too close to the store for us to get out safely. This pre-auth issue is exactly why I signed up for their internal fueling card, which operates more like what the truckers carry through TCH, so there is no "sticky" pre-auth.

https://www.rvpluscard.com/

You don't get hit with the huge pre-auth problems, and you get fuel discounts. You do have to carry an active GS membership to apply and keep it. You can only pay your balance due via bank draft online. No pre-pay or having to go inside at all, unless you must have a receipt after fueling.

Bones

We have to fuel with semi's in most Flyin J's and that is usually the only option at Pilots due to the size/length of our rig. We don't like to risk getting trapped at the turn out for the RV islands, most of them are too close to the store for us to get out safely. This pre-auth issue is exactly why I signed up for their internal fueling card, which operates more like what the truckers carry through TCH, so there is no "sticky" pre-auth.

https://www.rvpluscard.com/

You don't get hit with the huge pre-auth problems, and you get fuel discounts. You do have to carry an active GS membership to apply and keep it. You can only pay your balance due via bank draft online. No pre-pay or having to go inside at all, unless you must have a receipt after fueling.

I was looking at the card too. They are suppose to give you the pre road tax amount too.

wehavefun

$.10 off each gallon of bulk propane at Pilot Flying J½ off RV dumping fee at Pilot Flying J.Exclusive coupons and special deals from Pilot Flying J.Discounts of at least $.04 off every gallon of gas and $.06 off every gallon of diesel in the United States.Discounts of at least $.01 off every liter of gas and $.01 off every liter of diesel in Canada

They give you the cash price listed on the sign not the credit price as well as the additional 6 cents off per gallon of diesel. You will still pay road taxes.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Bones

$.10 off each gallon of bulk propane at Pilot Flying J½ off RV dumping fee at Pilot Flying J.Exclusive coupons and special deals from Pilot Flying J.Discounts of at least $.04 off every gallon of gas and $.06 off every gallon of diesel in the United States.Discounts of at least $.01 off every liter of gas and $.01 off every liter of diesel in Canada

They give you the cash price listed on the sign not the credit price as well as the additional 6 cents off per gallon of diesel. You will still pay road taxes.

I'm talking about the extra road tax that is placed on the trucks fuel. I can't fit in the normal RV fuel island and have to go through the truck islands to get fuel.

wehavefun

Good Sam

$.04 on Gas

$.06 on Diesel

Good Sam

Deluxe Member

$.05 on Gas

$.07 on Diesel

Good Sam

Life Member

$.06 on Gas

$.08 on Diesel

Good Sam

Elite Member

$.07 on Gas

$.09 on Diesel

This is right from the Flying J website.

wehavefun

Sorry Bones didn't see your response before I sent second post. I wasn't trying to keep pushing my point.

Bones

It's all good. I was writing when you were typing and posted almost the same times. My info could be off.

Rhyph

The other huge advantage IMO to filling up in the truck lanes with the swipe and go, is being able to get bulk DEF right off the pump. This is way better than dealing with the jugs.

Lynn1130

Pretty common with gas stations. When I fuel at the local Safeway I get a $75 "pending" on the AMEX until the charge of maybe $20 goes in. Pending charges mean nothing other than their computer made sure your card would handle what ever you bought. I have had $1 pending charges which where just to be sure my card worked.

Diamondjim

Thanks all for your comments, I did not mind the hold (NOT $500, but $1000) and the fact that it prevented my using my card, even though there was sufficient credit left on my card, even after the 4 day hold of $1000.

Knew there were other fueling option cards, but I've learned, and will try to keep explaining to DW why!

Lynn1130

I did not read the entire thread so if someone covered this, sorry.

One reason I use AMEX in all places that accept AMEX is there is no limit on the card. Your use sets the "trigger" point on that card. If you charge large items or amounts during the month they are less likely to call at the time of purchase and question to be sure it is you. On the other hand, out of the norm amounts and items will trigger a call to you to see what is happening. The other thing you might consider is contacting the card company, although I have no idea who that might be with Good Sam, and seeing about upping the limit. Visa has some perks too and limits can be raised to avoid "pending" charge issues.

IronJ

Amex here too...and I get triple points on fuel up to 100k

No issue at most truck stops, but a lot of outside terminals won't take the card directly so I have to send wife in.

And a lot of smaller places flat out don't take amex...

My full ups this trip have been ~160$ avg...

And you can still get your good Sam discount as well

sent from space via an invisible beam from a flying metal dish

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I'm talking about the extra road tax that is placed on the trucks fuel. I can't fit in the normal RV fuel island and have to go through the truck islands to get fuel.

I don't understand how you don't fit into normal RV Fuel Islands. We have an F350 dually pulling our 43 foot Landmark and have never had an issue fitting into or getting out of the RV Pump at Pilot/Flying J. I like using the RV pumps because with our loyality card we get the fuel discount. Never had a problem using the CC at the RV Pump either. Also if the pump cuts off at the $75 or $125 limit all you have to do it let the pump reset, put your card in again and finish fueling. So basicly you make two separate purchases to complete your fueling. Works for us.

Lynn1130

I don't pull in to "smaller places". Too much of a chance of getting bad fuel. I want someplace that does high volume diesel fuel sales and I have not found any gas station that does not take all cards.

Bones

I don't understand how you don't fit into normal RV Fuel Islands. We have an F350 dually pulling our 43 foot Landmark and have never had an issue fitting into or getting out of the RV Pump at Pilot/Flying J. I like using the RV pumps because with our loyality card we get the fuel discount. Never had a problem using the CC at the RV Pump either. Also if the pump cuts off at the $75 or $125 limit all you have to do it let the pump reset, put your card in again and finish fueling. So basicly you make two separate purchases to complete your fueling. Works for us.

The ones I went to on I-95 had too small of an area after the pump to pull out and too many cars parked as well as class A motorhomes. I'm not interested in cutting it close.