Goodyear Tire Failure Club

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Update... I filed a claim for damge to the RV and and new tire. I received a check from GoodYear on Thursday. Thank you GoodYear for standing behind your product. Nice to know some manufacturers care about their customers.

odiehog

What is disconcerting to me is doing everything you know how to do right and still have the failure. Must be something more there. I know there are a lot of factors which go into a system failure but I can tell you in my case I have tried my best to do everything right. Could it be there is just some sort of manufacturing issue? I don't know but what if it is?

I've been reading all these posts with much interest as my 2008 Cyclone tires have blown out with some consistency. I have been nearly OCD when it comes to tire pressures and vehicle speeds, etc and to date have blown 2 stock tires (Marathons and load range "D") and two Maxxi's with load range "E". I thought the Maxxis would cure my blowouts but...NAY. I cannot figure out what those Marathons, with max psi of 65, were doing on this kind of rig, supposedly built to carry some pretty heavy cargo and weigh in around 15,000 pounds. The stock tires were ST225/75R/15. I'm hoping I can put new wheels (17.5) and a 14-16 ply tire on this rig. Are most of you going with LT tires or staying with ST? And anyone know of a dealer in Houston that can do the job right?

Thanks for any help,
Steve

jbeletti

I've been reading all these posts with much interest as my 2008 Cyclone tires have blown out with some consistency. I have been nearly OCD when it comes to tire pressures and vehicle speeds, etc and to date have blown 2 stock tires (Marathons and load range "D") and two Maxxi's with load range "E". I thought the Maxxis would cure my blowouts but...NAY. I cannot figure out what those Marathons, with max psi of 65, were doing on this kind of rig, supposedly built to carry some pretty heavy cargo and weigh in around 15,000 pounds. The stock tires were ST225/75R/15. I'm hoping I can put new wheels (17.5) and a 14-16 ply tire on this rig. Are most of you going with LT tires or staying with ST? And anyone know of a dealer in Houston that can do the job right?

Thanks for any help,
Steve

Steve,

If you have not already done so, try to get a tire by tire weight of your coach. That will help eliminate loading on a particular point as a culprit.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Just some ideas, were the tires balanced prior to installation? Alignment can cause tire issues, have you noticed anything unusual with your springs or axles?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Birchwood

If you don't use the Goodyear 614 tires what are the alternatives.We have traveled to Florida from Canada 4 times with our 614 tires.I have used the spare as a change over,had one of them balanced and replaced under warranty because it was unable to be balanced and had one of them replaced because of uneven wear.When you think about it there are only four tires that make the entire fifth wheel experience function.After stating this I may blow tires all next year but we will replace them and continue on.Unfortunately we don't have many G rated tires on the market so keep the 614's fresh and inflated at 110 psi.

lwmcguir

Just some ideas, were the tires balanced prior to installation? Alignment can cause tire issues, have you noticed anything unusual with your springs or axles?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Every trailer (cattle/flat beds/bale haulers and so on) that we have had multiple failures on have had one of these issues, usually alignment.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We replaced our 16" G rated rims with 17.5" H rated rims. We went from the GoodYear G614 (G rated) to the GoodYear G114 (H rated). We have previously changed our 7000 lbs axles to Mor-Ryde IS 8000 lbs. Have have also upgraded to the Trailer Saver TS3 Hitch which has the air bags and shocks on it. We hope any problems are now in the past. BTW we have always had our tires balanced and kept the alignment in check.

lwmcguir

We replaced our 16" G rated rims with 17.5" H rated rims. We went from the GoodYear G614 (G rated) to the GoodYear G114 (H rated). We have previously changed our 7000 lbs axles to Mor-Ryde IS 8000 lbs. Have have also upgraded to the Trailer Saver TS3 Hitch which has the air bags and shocks on it. We hope any problems are now in the past. BTW we have always had our tires balanced and kept the alignment in check.
I am pretty darn sure you will like the G114's. We started using them many years ago and have some that are on their third or fourth hand me down trailer. Never a problem and they seem to really hold air well. I like them on the Augusta as I don't have to worry about over heating on hot days. I think your move to the 8K axles is a smart one and we did this after the first trip a few years ago. Hope you have as good service as we have got from the tires over the years.