Goodyear Tire Failure Club

GOTTOYS

I wonder if sharp turning from backing or otherwise could cause pre-mature tire tread separation. Motor homes with tag axel either lift the rear wheels or limit the weight on tag axel while turning shapely. The G614's are LT tires which means they do not have the side wall strength to withstand sharp turn radius like the ST. It is a shame that Lippert provides no options to lift or reduce the weight on rear axels while turning sharply and dragging the rear tires. Of course my theory only applies to the rear tires on tandem axels.
If you were to compare the thickness of the sidewall of an average ST tire to an LT tire you would find the LT sidewall is about twice as thick. That's part of the reason LTs weigh a minimum of 10# more. That old "stronger sidewall" thing to me is just a myth...Don

dave10a

If you were to compare the thickness of the sidewall of an average ST tire to an LT tire you would find the LT sidewall is about twice as thick. That's part of the reason LTs weigh a minimum of 10# more. That old "stronger sidewall" thing to me is just a myth...Don
My point is not about side walls, but the sideways sliding of the tire on the tread. I think that may cause long term damage of any tire. Just sayen :)

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
My point is not about side walls, but the sideways sliding of the tire on the tread. I think that may cause long term damage of any tire. Just sayen :)

We used to have an Alfa Gold with triple axles. Have you ever watched the center tire on a triple axle when backing or turning. It twists and drags. We towed the Alfa many thousands of miles with E rated Michelin LT tires and never had a failure. Got more than 3 years out of them too. Really don't know what the issue is but it blowouts sure get old. We have had 4 and not all on the same side or same axle. Go figure. I know the first two were China bombs but the last two have been the G614s that have had the tread come off. Both of the Goodyears held the air after losing the tread. Guess that is at least a plus. Both of the 'Winland' "China Bombs" just exploded while going down the road. I wish the trailer manufacturers would put an inner fender on the trailers to help protect it.

dave10a

here is what one user on the Official Goodyear web site says: " LT tires should not be used on a multi-axle trailer. The ST tires are
designed to be drug sideways in the turns and flex better in the sidewalls
to accomodate this. There is a reason the ST tire was invented. It is for
TRAILERS. Not Light Trucks. and LT tires are not designed to be slid
sideways. They are for LIGHT TRUCKS, not trailers." Also here is a link on an informed discussion about tires.. http://rvingwithmarkpolk.com/2012/11/08/trailer-towing-st-tires-vs-lt-tires/

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
So, what ST tire carries a G-load rating? The Freestar LT235/85 R16 tires that came on my BH are G's. Now I know that HL has been shipping BH3670's with E-rated tires, of late, but somehow I just don't want to go there. Checked my tires today while dewinterizing and they were all 108 -109 psi after sitting all winter.

danemayer

here is what one user on the Official Goodyear web site says: " LT tires should not be used on a multi-axle trailer. The ST tires are
designed to be drug sideways in the turns and flex better in the sidewalls
to accomodate this. There is a reason the ST tire was invented. It is for
TRAILERS. Not Light Trucks. and LT tires are not designed to be slid
sideways. They are for LIGHT TRUCKS, not trailers." Also here is a link on an informed discussion about tires.. http://rvingwithmarkpolk.com/2012/11/08/trailer-towing-st-tires-vs-lt-tires/

I followed up with Mark Polk on his description of Goodyear G614 as Light Truck tires and he provided some additional information. (I've added highlighting in Bold type)
RV Education 101 Dan, The article you reference is http://rvingwithmarkpolk.com/2012/11/08/trailer-towing-st-tires-vs-lt-tires/
When you look the tire up to purchase it Goodyear designates it as LT tire, but the tire is designed for use with trailers. The RST designation stands for Regional/Steer/Trailer which is a commercial tire designation. It means the tire has multiple applications. Regional means it is suitable for all-seasons. Steer means it works on a steering axle and trailer means it works on a trailer axle. The G rating is the load rating. G is equivalent to a 14 ply tire so it has an impressive load rating.

This is a very good tire. My only comment in the article is If you make the decision to switch to LT tires make absolutely sure the tire you choose meets the application criteria required for use on your travel trailer or 5th wheel trailer.
http://www.goodyear.com/cfmx/web/truck/datapage.cfm?prodline=160007
http://www.goodyear.com/truck/pdf/product_brochures/Long_Haul_Brochure.pdf

The additional links are to the Goodyear spec sheet on the G614 and to their brochure on Long Haul Tires, which shows the G614 and G114 as trailer tires.

For completeness, here's a link to the Goodyear spec sheet on the G114.

dave10a

I followed up with Mark Polk on his description of Goodyear G614 as Light Truck tires and he provided some additional information. (I've added highlighting in Bold type)

The additional links are to the Goodyear spec sheet on the G614 and to their brochure on Long Haul Tires, which shows the G614 and G114 as trailer tires.

For completeness, here's a link to the Goodyear spec sheet on the G114.
But-- does Goodyear recommend the G614 for multi-axel trailers?? And why do motorhomes lift the tag axel on their truck tire for sharp turns. Is because LT and heavy truck tires are not designed to withstand sliding like a ST tire? I think the Lippert/Heartland should explain why they use LT tires for multi-axel trailers. Especially when it costs the consumer more money to have G614 installed at the factory. Also the "dual" mentioned in the factory sheets could mean dual tire not dual axel because the spec should say multi-axle to be technically accurate. Some 5th wheels did have, in the past, dual tires on single/multi-axle available as an option.

lwmcguir

But-- does Goodyear recommend the G614 for multi-axel trailers?? And why do motorhomes lift the tag axel on their truck tire for sharp turns. Is because LT and heavy truck tires are not designed to withstand sliding like a ST tire? I think the Lippert/Heartland should explain why they use LT tires for multi-axel trailers. Especially when it costs the consumer more money to have G614 installed at the factory. Also the "dual" mentioned in the factory sheets could mean dual tire not dual axel because the spec should say multi-axle to be technically accurate. Some 5th wheels did have, in the past, dual tires on single/multi-axle available as an option.
Goodyear ST were designed for multi axle trailers only, never trucks. You guys have me confused. They have less tread just for the sliding issue on multi axle trailers. We started using them way back on triple axle singles and haven't blown one yet.

donr827

I do not think that you will see many single axle trailers that require a G rated tire.
Don

I just purchased the Michelin xt (Light Truck). This not a trailer tire it carrys more load at less pressure. Slightly larger height 1.2 inches diameter just .6 inch lift. As far as posts saying large truck tires not designed to take scrub or side loading, this is not true, ex log truck/lowbed driver in British Columbia and trust me those tires seen a lot of side loading. Motor homes lift tag axle for ease of maneuvering not because tires will not take it. Tire shop figured inflation pressure on my unit based on axle weight to be 75lbs. cold. Had a lot of trouble also with maxis Chinese junk.

dave10a

I just purchased the Michelin xt (Light Truck). This not a trailer tire it carrys more load at less pressure. Slightly larger height 1.2 inches diameter just .6 inch lift. As far as posts saying large truck tires not designed to take scrub or side loading, this is not true, ex log truck/lowbed driver in British Columbia and trust me those tires seen a lot of side loading. Motor homes lift tag axle for ease of maneuvering not because tires will not take it. Tire shop figured inflation pressure on my unit based on axle weight to be 75lbs. cold. Had a lot of trouble also with maxis Chinese junk.
I hate to break the news to you that logging truck tires are not the same as tires on your trailer. You must ask yourself why did they go to the trouble to invent the ST tire for RV trailers and why do large motor homes go to the trouble to lift their tag axles for sharp turning-- if you check with Prevost you will find it prevents sliding and scrubbing. RV and logging trucks are like comparing apples to oranges :)

donr827

VLAURIE1799, there are a lot of LT tires used on RV trailers with success. The LT614 by Goodyear is a very good tire. Michelin Ribs have an excellent reputation on rv trailers. Hitchhiker used Uniroyal LT tires with success. You need to make sure that the load limits on the tire match your trailers weight. I believe that one of the ways to avoid tire troubles to maintain at least a 10% safety factor.
Don

Dave10A, logging tires are 16ply, most highway tires including large motorhomes are 14ply, my Michelins are 10 ply, they are the same type of construction, just not as many plys. I have a 20% safety factor, they are not cheap almost double that of a trailer tire. I know a lot of people using this tire with great success. I agree with you on Provost, lifting the axle does prevent scrubing and makes it easier to maneuver, but they would still stand it if left down. The tires that came on by Big Horn were just about maxed out for weight, did poor in the mileage department and I had 2 failures. I think Heartland uses these because they are cheaper.

aatauses

JohnDar---I also have freestar on my BH3670 and have been very happy with them---I did some checking and they were made in CA--not sure if I can find them anywhere when time to replace---thinking about that now as they are 4yrs old with 20K+ miles. thought I would go with the GY--but not sure now???
al
currently in Kenai, Ak

jimtoo

I just traded for a 3670,,, 09,,, it has the original Freestar tires on it...original owner says about 20--25K miles on them. I have inspected them, really close... build date code is 3207 which tells me they are about 6 years old. They are looking like new tires... no weather cracks,, still over half tread left and they are regrouvable. I am kinda known to be a tight wad... but do I trust them or not.. It's really amazing the way the tires look for the age.. so since there are no more Freestars,,, I guess I will go with GY G614's.

Jim M

JohnDar

At the last Goshen rally, I spoke with Tim Bell from Tredit. He said the Freestar tires had not had any problems and were a very good tire. They were discontinued due to the molds reaching the end of their service life. Mine are mold dated 5207 and Made in China.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
My advise is this - RV tires are different than auto tires in the fact that RV tires in many cases just sit and are subject to environmental deterioration from sitting in one spot. Most tire experts recommend replacing RV tires at the 7 year mark regardless of the way they look. Tire experts I have talked to go even further by recommending replacement at the 3-5 year mark. I have had 2 Goodyear G614 tires lose their tread at the 3 year mark. Both had a great looking tread on them and showed no outward signs of failure.

JohnDar

Anymore, it seems that it's a crap shoot on selecting tires. Brand X over Brand Y, until Brand X starts having early failures, then Brand Z becomes the tire du jour. Last summer, when I replaced the worn General Grabbers on my truck with 33K miles with Goodyear SA Wranglers, they couldn't get the first set (7 tires) to balance properly. GY replaced the 6 road tires and they still weren't smooth until I put a couple thousand miles on them. Now, we hear about G614's tossing tread with low miles, and "experts" quoting anything from 5 to 7 years replacing tires. And some advocating replacing G-rated tires with E-rated ones.

Think I'll go buy a lottery ticket. Odds of getting it "right" seem better.

danemayer

Anytime we try to reach general conclusions from a handful of reports, there's a significant risk of getting it wrong. Applies to tires and many other subjects.