GooseNeck hook up on truck

We have a new 3450 Big Country 5th Wheel and a 2014 Dodge Ram 3500 duel wheel pickup. The truck came with the gooseneck hookup so we bought the components to add to the trailer to hook up and we love it. Now the only issue is that you can not see to drive back to hook up the trailer to the truck. what kind of solutions has anyone had to rectify this issue? Right now John hangs out the door, with his hand on the steering wheel and foot on the gas! Talk about an accident looking for a place to happen! Thanks all
Sharon

Last edited by a moderator:

danemayer

Hi Sharon,

Sometimes people mount mirrors on the front of the trailer.

You need to take a look at the gooseneck setup. Certain types of trailers are designed to work with gooseneck hitches. RVs are not. The gooseneck typically puts additional stress on the upper frame of the RV and can cause frame damage that could be very expensive to repair, and would not be covered by warranty. I believe the Reese Goosebox is designed to solve this problem.

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
My new 2016 Ram has the bed camera as well as the back up camera. While this was an add on at the factory, you can put these on yourself. You may want to check them out....what a nice set up. I am looking at a new Sundance and will be adding the Reese Goosebox as well. This is the only Gooseneck hitch Heartland authorizes and keeps your warranty valid. Some of the other members will probably let you know where to look at the bed camera's but you can also go the Mopar site online as well. Good luck.

Dan, when we bought our Big Country, there just happened to be a salesperson/representative from Heartland's manufacturing company. John told him what we had for hook up and this guy (Joaquin?) told us that our unit is made especially heavy for this type of hook up! So was this person not knowing what the heck he was talking about, when in fact, he SHOULD!?
Sharon

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks so much Doublegranch

danemayer

Dan, when we bought our Big Country, there just happened to be a salesperson/representative from Heartland's manufacturing company. John told him what we had for hook up and this guy (Joaquin?) told us that our unit is made especially heavy for this type of hook up! So was this person not knowing what the heck he was talking about, when in fact, he SHOULD!?
Sharon

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks so much Doublegranch

If someone told you that the Lippert frame is made for a regular gooseneck hitch, other than combining it with the Reese Goosebox, he was wrong. Lippert warrants the frame and I'm sure if you call them to ask, they'll tell you that a standard gooseneck hitch will void their frame warranty. If you call Heartland Customer Service, I'm sure they'll tell you the same.

Unfortunately, we all seem to run into sales people who don't stop talking when they run out of answers.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Unfortunately, we all seem to run into sales people who don't stop talking when they run out of answers.

When we bought our Prowler back in May, 2015, I passed along my dismay about the dealer that we bought our previous Heartland product from (10 miles down the road from our new dealership).

Our salesperson PROMISED us that we would NOT experience those issues with them as service is their A#1 priority!

Three weeks ago when I tried to set up an appointment to get a few warranty issues taken care of, it took several voice mails and a few days of phone tag before I actually spoke with someone, and then I was told that I would have to just leave my trailer for several weeks before so that they could order the parts, then wait until they arrived so they could fix ALL of the issues at one time . . . then I could pick it up.

He wouldn't take my list of issues over the phone, or even accept my photos of the issues, most of which were documented during the PDI!

Hhhmmmmm, I thought to myself . . .

Well, since we had our vacation planned, (last week), I declined to take the trailer up there back then . . .

So today I called and got someone on the phone right away, and I explained what happened the last time I called . . . and what I expected!

They took my list of issues over the phone . . . told me to email the photos so they could order the parts needed from Heartland . . . and would call me when the parts are in so they could call me when everything is there and I can bring it up then and they will fix everything in a couple of days!

Now that is what I expect from my dealer . . . not for me to bring it up and leave it for weeks waiting for someone to make a decision about whether it will be covered under warranty and about how long it might take to get said parts in from Heartland.

lwmcguir

We have GN hitches on everything, and use a Tennis ball on a telescoping magnetic mount placed directly on top of the ball in the bed. Works great for fast hitching by yourself. We typicaly dont have more than one person operating a trailer tower no matter what we are hauling or towing. We do have a Reese Goosebox on the Augusta however towed it over 25K with an adapter before Reese came out with the hitch.

guyc66

I would have recommended you take a look at the Gooseneck Mount - Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection by Andersen Hitches, but since you already purchased the other gooseneck parts it won't help you now. I like the idea of an aftermarket camera mounted in the truck bed to assist with hitching up.