Got My A-Class License Thanks To This Forum

scottyb

The combined weight is calculated by adding your truck's GVWR + your trailer's GVWR. Not by your truck's GCWR.

Bohemian

The combined weight is calculated by adding your truck's GVWR + your trailer's GVWR. Not by your truck's GCWR.
Yes, I was extremely confused by that myself. It is in fact the language that some states use in their descriptions of the regulations, and sometimes, even in their regulations. But, not all states.However:1) It makes no sense as it is illegal to exceed the GCWR. Adding those two numbers is meaningless. That said, so can regulations be meaningless.2) It is clearly NOT the intent of the federal standards on which the state regulations are based.3) It is NOT consistent with what I have read for MOST states regulations (that I have read). Though consistent for what I have read for some state's statements, perhaps not for intent.

rxbristol

I THINK Bohemian's point was that even though the truck's GVWR is 14,000, it may not be able to carry/tow more than 12,000 while others can, which would require an A-Class licence.

rxbristol

That said, so can regulations be meaningless.2) It is clearly NOT the intent of the federal standards on which the state regulations are based.3) It is NOT consistent with what I have read for MOST states regulations (that I have read). Though consistent for what I have read for some state's statements, perhaps not for intent.

That reads just like a federal/state regulation :).

Bohemian

I THINK Bohemian's point was that even though the truck's GVWR is 14,000, it may not be able to carry/tow more than 12,000 while others can, which would require an A-Class licence.
Sorry, to illustrate. A 9,000 lb. GVW truck with a 26,000 GCWR and sufficient tow capacity can tow 17,000 lbs. without exceeding GCWR. Less, of course any payload weight added to the truck. GCWR of any truck is probably always less than GVWR + max payload + max tow capacity of the truck.Sadly, with 1 federal government, 50 states, and several territories, the language of regulations can differ, and the explanations of those regulations even more so.

scottyb

So basically, Texas Class A&B license mirror the federal CDL guidelines regarding weight. Many but not all states do the same.

JanAndBill

One other thing you need to check is if your state requires certification as to how you intend on using your class A. In Alabama you go to the website fill out the form and file it. Non-commercial license do not require a physical, and once you file it you're done until such time that your status changes. Failure to file the certification, could result in your class A being suspended.

Bohemian

So basically, Texas Class A&B license mirror the federal CDL guidelines regarding weight. Many but not all states do the same.

All states start with the federal standards. Federal standards use GCWR< 26,001 lbs. for the tow vehicle, or trailer GVWR < 10,000 lbs. does not require Class A.

Last edited: