GPS unit's for semi truck use feedback.

rollyc

recently purchased a rand mcnally 5510 for rv's on the internet for 300. in camping world. had tom tom and 3 yr old garmain 330. seems about the same as garmin but would like better lane changing and exiting. it has it but doesnt doe as good a jog as my magellan 4700. has 5 inch screen and the road doesnt seem as large as it could be for screen size. haven"t taken it on real trip yet so i may be misswing something. otherwise it seems to work as well as any. has height restrictions and supposed to determine your route by the weight and lenght of your vehicle. has multible stops but not truck bypass routes . havent expeirmented with the rv routes yet. tom tom has the most settings for different things like map colar and such. mcnally is 5 inch. i just wish bthe route was larger to view. i purchased a 10' extender for the gps to mount to windshield at radio shack. hope yhis helps someone. rollyc

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We just purchased the Rand McNally 5510 as well. Had a Garmin before, and like this better. It warns you of the changing speed limit, then warns you if you are exceeding the speed limit. Seemed to route us well, especially through Dallas, TX. Warns of construction, as well. You can even program it to avoid specific streets you designate.Hope this helps!

Tankie

I need a new GPS and was wondering if anyone has the Garmin dezl 560LT or 560LMT?
It has a RV profile setup and a external video input for back up cameras.
Looks interesting but it is little spendy

Last edited:

danemayer

I need a new GPS and was wondering if anyone has the Garmin dezl 560LT or 560LMT?
It has a RV profile setup and a external video input for back up cameras.
Looks interesting but it is little spendy

I got a Dezl 560LMT last month for our trip around the country. Created an RV profile with our particulars and set it to avoid toll roads and traffic problems. On the way from Austin, TX to Goshen, IN (1250 miles), I let the GPS find our way. It selected truck routes mostly avoiding interstates. I like to keep our top speed at 55-57, and with a couple of brief rest and lunch stops, we make 375 miles in about 8 hours. It definitely picks a more picturesque route. When driving without the RV, I switch the profile to Auto to get more direct routing.

Lane indicators give lots of advance notice of what lane to be in for upcoming road splits and exits.

I'm finding the POI database to be weak. There have been many times where I've been unable to find local places that I expected to be in the POI db. On the other hand, it has truck-specific POIs so you can find truck stops. I don't care for the way it presents the info, as I don't see how to limit the info to truck stops on our route. I'm never really sure whether I might be taking a detour by selecting what it offers.

Overall I'm happy with it and so far it has not led me astray.

rollyc

the rand mcnally 5510 for rv's seems simple enough to use. every gps is a little bit different. has 5" screen. purchased on camping world website for $300. rolly. ps.has speed limit and bridge height restrictions.