Grand Rapids, Michigan - yea or nay Meyer May House

8amps

Hi Y'all,
We are about a half hour south of Grand Rapids, wondering if anyone is familiar enough with this Frank Lloyd Wright house,
ifyou were able to find RV parking (I called, was told is street parking) and if would be worthwhile stop. We left Elkhart this morning, headed to Mackinaw City tonight. Please respond asap if you have any info. Thanks!

MTPockets

It's is a regular neighborhood. There is only street parking, room for you but you would have to be lucky enough to find a long enough space...

8amps

Thanks terry, have you been? Worth the stop?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Looks like you decided to take 131 up north.

How far are you planning to go today?

8amps

Trip report... we did stop at the Frank Lloyd Wright house. It is a regular neighborhood, but plenty of parking for us. That said, we turned down Madison (for anyone wanting to go) which was a sharp right with little room since there were cars waiting to turn left on that street. I think if you went to the next block, you'd have more room.
The house itself is not particularly grand (in a neighborhood of rather grand houses, just off Wealthy (!) Street) or even that compelling to go inside by looking at the outside. We're not familiar with his work, just knew of him generally. However, inside every detail to the smallest to the largest was considered and deliberate by FLW. I didn't know he was a major factor in things we take for granted today such as open floor plans. It was very interesting and I'm glad we went however, it took about 1.5 hours, though we did have our lunch we brought too. But on a long travel day (Elkhart to Mackinaw City), it might have been better to skip it. Definately worth a stop otherwise. The detail that went into the house has been done in the restoration as well. Quite amazing to see how exacting FLW was and also the restoration project. Tour was free.

JohnD

That's a long drive to Mackinaw City!

What do you think of that tiny little bridge?

How long are you going to hang out there?

8amps

Looks like you decided to take 131 up north.

How far are you planning to go today?

Hi John, we went all the way up to Mackinaw City. The KOA said they had just made the trip, recommended 131 up to Reed City to 10 east to 127 which merges to 75. Roads were good and traffic fine whole way except road construction toward north end of Grand Rapids. Thanks for the quick responses Terry and John!

8amps

Bridge was pretty. Haven't been across yet. Going to island today.

JohnD

Bridge was pretty. Haven't been across yet. Going to island today.

You'll love the island . . . awesome!

You can rent bikes over there to get around or you can take your own, although I think there is a bike fee on the ferry.

For me today, I'm outside chasing down why the furnace won't run in the Prowler . . .

Gonna miss you guys at the Mountaindale Rally in two weeks!

JohnD

We may be going back to Michigan in October of 2018 for my 40th. class reunion . . .

If we do we'll try to make the UP part of our trip!

It has been nine years since I've been back . . . over 10 years since Cathy has been back to Michigan.

Too bad you couldn't have gone to the Michigan HOC Rally in Marshall, MI going on right now . . . and only about 100 miles from Elkhart!

I was hoping to make that one . . . but it wasn't in the cards for us this year.

8amps

We spent the whole afternoon there, enjoyed it immensely. Rented a tandem bike (!) And did the whole island. Came back on the 8pm ferry, just as the sun was seeing. Cloud by that time but still had some beautiful colors and great views of bridge. When I figure out tapatalk, I'll add some photos.

8amps

183247fb0f6959edaea2e1e38ccad37e.jpg

Round Island Lighthouse
de84e35dfd5866c0ebb17b91e455c53e.jpg

Phil and Mary on tandem bike
6325a958e19a0e79526e219f06c9cc74.jpg

MTPockets

Looks like you enjoyed the island.. June & I have been there several times and stayed in the marina a few days each time on our boat. The island gets really quiet and exceptionally serene after the last ferry in the evening.

8amps

Looks like you enjoyed the island.. June & I have been there several times and stayed in the marina a few days each time on our boat. The island gets really quiet and exceptionally serene after the last ferry in the evening.
We went to the Soo Locks today. A boat that looked they lived aboard went through. Made me think of you and June. I'm assuming you must have gone through some locks at some point???

MTPockets

We went to the Soo Locks today. A boat that looked they lived aboard went through. Made me think of you and June. I'm assuming you must have gone through some locks at some point???

. We travelled and lived aboard full time for 14 months. Went through 114 locks.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    11.8 KB · Views: 28
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    58.3 KB · Views: 20