Grand Teton/Yellowstone

Rodbuster

Has anybody stayed at "Colter Bay Village RV Park" in the Grand Teton National Park?

My wife and I are looking for opinions on this park.
Would you recommend it? Are there better campgrounds in the area? Any other thoughts or recommendations.

Thank you
Dick

lorax

Having stayed at Moran Junction on two occasions, I would opt for Colter Bay simply because its in the Park. We have learned that being in the park offers more opportunities. I would recommend reservations. Reserve early. In Yellowstone we like Fishing Bridges Campground as it is centrally located. Yellowstone is so large you may want to book something around Fishing Bridges and a site up north around Gardiner or West Yellowstone. In Yellowstone the roads are like a figure eight so you can do a lot of driving if you stay in one place.
Safe Travels!
Ted

wdk450

There are reviews of Coulter Bay HERE (Both the dry and full hookup areas): http://www.rvparkreviews.com/regions/Wyoming/Grand_Teton_National_Park.html

I am planning to stay at Baker's Hole Campground by the West Yellowstone entrance in the Gallitin National Forest last week of May and the first week of June. The Golden Age Passport price is only $8 a day plus $6 electric charge. First come first served - no reservations. The Passport should get me into Yellowstone as much as I want with no charge.

MTPockets

We were there in August - Preferred this over the private campgroud at Moran Junction where we stayed one night. in fact, i would avoid that one like the plague if you can get reservation elsewhere. Yellowstone National Park Campgrounds - we liked these very much.

When we stayed out there Dick, we stayed at the Flagg Ranch Resort and Campground. It was right by the South entrance ( nice location) for day trips up into yellowstone. We've also stayed around Jackson Hole a couple of times, but found it to be "a drive" to the park. On a map it doesn't look far, but you have to factor in all the tourist traffic.

Flagg Resort was rather basic, but we could wash clothes, buy ice, eat out if we wanted to, etc.

A huge bonus - the views of the Tetons to the south just a short walk to the S edge of the campground.

PS - we did always reserve FAR ahead of time when we visited JH or Yellowstone.

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
We've made our reservations at the Rocky Mountain RV Park in Gardiner at the north entrance. I booked us for four nights so we would have time to look in the park and make a day trip north or wherever. They provide free pet sitting too, if that makes any difference even though we have two AC, if we want to spend all day in the park, wo won't have to worry about the girls being trapped in the trailer all day.

Kristy

buckeyebob

stayed at grizzly rv park in the city of west yellowstone,bit of a drive to center of park,but its 100 miles wide so anywhere is far unless u stay at madison in the middlle.great town lots of good eats etc

DRGalligher

We've stayed many times at Colter Bay RV and really like it. It is wooded but plenty of room for big rigs yet you are within walking distance to Jackson Lake and several walking trails around there. You can walk to a little general store and gift shop as well as two restaurants in the village and laundry. We too have stayed at Flagg Ranch but it's been awhile since. When we were there it was basically a dirt flat with trees scattered about and no real site boundaries. Preferred Colter Bay RV. On the West Yellowstone entrance side, we have stayed at Baker's Hole two years in a row. Getting lucky with a nice spot first drive through and another we drove over from Grizzly RV, secured a site, drove back and got our rig. Grizzly RV is very nice but we prefer FS type CG's but with E if we can get it. At Baker's Hole the sites don't have water but there are connections throughout and some that are just threadless faucets but with a Water Thief you can still get your tank filled. We also stayed at Red Rock in Island Park and it was very quiet and secluded but it was a drive in to YNP which was ok for us. Another jewel of a CG is Falls CG off Togwotee pass 25 West of Dubois, but a drive from the Tetons. There's an RV loop with E but no water, but there is a water faucet at the entrance. Still, it's an alternate.